Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 2:45:01 PM EDT
Any tips?  Right now it's just plugged into my desktop, but I plan to get a wireless network up. What do I need to do to secure it now?  how about later?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
get a router. linksys and netgear are good, I prefer netgear.
this is a good one, go to [url]www.pricewatch.com[/url] and search on RP114.
NETGEAR RP114 RP114 Cable/DSL Web Safe Router with 4-port switch - , NEW Retail  Price: $ 39

a router will be a good start, but wireless is a security guy's nightmare. I'm not up on the latest wireless protocol, so some reading on whether they do spread spectrum and crypto would be good features to look for. a good AV product is essential as well, ie from symantec, mcafee, sophos. Just remember that AV software is only good if the definitions are current. These days you have to update almost daily.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know squat about DSL or cable internet, but I did hear Kim Komando ( the internet goddess) talk about getting a "dynamic" ISP rather than a "static" ISP.
From what I understood from this is dial-up systems tag you with a new ISP no# on every log-in (dynamic). A DSL/cable keeps the same ISP all the time (static) so its easier to track.

I'm sure the computer gurus will pounce on this with enthusiasm to correct me...which ain't all bad , cause I'd like to hear the correct answer too. Ok guys, what's the answer?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't one of the linksys wireless routers have a built-in firewall?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top