Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 5:55:51 AM EDT
This is not meant to be a flame on the NRA...  I am a member and will continue to be a member.

Yesterday (Sunday) I am at home working on something.  The phone rings, out of area on caller-ID, but I pick it up anyway.  It is the NRA.  They are looking for emergency donations for the recent rulings on the 9th Circuit Court in Kalifornia.  I very politely tell the lady that I will send them additional money once they get concealed carry passed in Ohio, and work to get the AWB successfully sunsetted.  

The lady replies that the 9th Circuit Court ruling is about the AWB, and they are working on CC in Ohio.  

I reply that the 9th Circuit ruled on the interpretation on the 2nd Amendment, whether or not it applies to private individuals, not directly to the AWB.  After I state this...  nothing...  dead air.  She hung up on me.

At no time during the conversation was anything offensive or rude conveyed, for either her or I.  It seemed that when I repeated that I would give nothing above my membership dues until CC passed in Ohio, or the AWB sunsets, she wasn't interested in my views any longer.

After I put down the phone, I started thinking about the conversation...  I think it is evident what the NRA's priorities are, and they aren't about listening to their membership.

Just my $0.02.  

As stated first, I am a member, and will continue to be so.  Regardless of a misguided phone soliciter...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I can understand her confusion.  The 9th was ruling on the peoples RKBA, but it was under a challenge to the Kaliban AWB if I'm not mistaken.

My wife is totally pro-gun, but doesn't know much about guns and legislation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Now that I think about it, this lady was probably reading from a script, and when it was clear my position, she didn't know what to do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Another member had posted once that this is a non-NRA company that does the soliciting for them. Not actually the NRA so they can't argue with you per se about NRA policy. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Now that I think about it, this lady was probably reading from a script, and when it was clear my position, she didn't know what to do.
View Quote

It's my understanding, NRA OPPOSE'S the Silvera case going to the court, believing that it's not the "right" case, (as usual). NRA is fraudulently raising $$ for a case they oppose, or they are trying to get on a bus to get some cash.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe the NRA contracts this stuff out.

For the Silvera case, [url]www.keepandbeararms.com[/url] has been there since the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
These telephone people don't have time to debate about the merits of NRA's RKBA efforts. I think recently the NRA is trying to get more employees doing the telephone solicitations. It takes a tremendous amount of money to fund their operations. Unfortunately the NRA has worn out their welcome in many home because of their constant solicitation for money, but that is life.

Ever filed a lawsuit? to get transcripts of hearings, like here in L.A. County it costs something like $1/page. If there is 5,000 pages. And that not including time for the lawysers. Many people think that the NRA is funded by the rich gun-manufacturers, of course the gun-industry is pretty a cottage industry. The NRA has deep pockets only thru the geneorisity its members. Lets hope that the politicos always fears the NRA political wise.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#8]
She didn't really seem to know what she was talking about, so I would hope she wasn't with the NRA.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish the NRA would work on their membership process.  I've been trying to renew my membership for the last five months.  [V]

No wonder folks are majorly bent out of shape.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I get tired of the NRA sending me all this ILA legislation donation things.  They should have a "membership only" membership!  I'm tired of paying my dues and in turn they send me mailouts that probably took 20 trees to print.

Then they started just sending me those Gun History videos.  Don't get me wrong, they're good, but I just don't have the money to buy those, give donations, etc. etc. etc.

Take my membership dues and be happy... if I get rich or I get more money, I'll donate more.  Until then I just wish they'd stop wasting paper which goes straight to the garbage can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top