Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2016 4:54:08 PM EDT
Got a couple of boxes of 50's - 70's era Popular Science, and various cookbooks that haven't probably been looked at since the 80's.
Thinking of donating them to the library.
Just wonder if there could be anything in them that may not be found in today's books.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The Popular Science could have some neat stuff in them. As for cookbooks I would keep them as they probably have recopies that you cannot find anymore.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Pre-ban history books will be valuable one day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just wonder if there could be anything in them that may not be found in today's books.
View Quote

A noticeable lack of political influence.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, they've been washing history books for decades now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Mothers old Good House keeping cookbook  40's 50's era, had recipes for Raccoon and Possum, lots of other wild game.
Lot of salt, and salt pork, bacon drippings.

interesting comparision to todays cookbooks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Popular Science could have some neat stuff in them. As for cookbooks I would keep them as they probably have recopies that you cannot find anymore.
View Quote

I have ones from my grandparents that are full of cool projects and recipes in the cookbooks
It's fun to look through them and see what was high tech back then as well as the predictions for the future.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, because one day the internet will be destroyed and you will wish you had them to look things up, or you cook use them to start a fire.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Do a search.  ABC News did a story Friday or yesterday about a site that buys old books.  Cookbooks were worth more than anything else other than textbooks and said most brought $40-50 each!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#9]
i donated a bunch of old cookbooks and other books (old science books, books on canning, etc) to the local library....from time to time i wish i would have kept them since they were my Mothers, but it's doubtful I would have gotten around to doing anything with them.  Seldom have the time or energy these days to do much in terms of anything but the most basic of cooking.  Hopefully someone else out there is using them...

OP, if you have the space and are in no hurry to get rid of them, hang onto them for a little longer you might just find yourself digging into them.  If a year or two passes and you haven't, than out they go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a 100 year old pharmaceutical botany book that mentions the medical uses for marijuana.  Now that's all the rage in the news with laws passing to allow it.  What was once old is new again, so you better save them!  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I would take the cookbooks
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mothers old Good House keeping cookbook  40's 50's era, had recipes for Raccoon and Possum, lots of other wild game.
Lot of salt, and salt pork, bacon drippings.

interesting comparision to todays cookbooks.
View Quote

Yeah, that was back when food tasted REALLY good.

ETA: Every housewife had a metal container of some sort by the stove (ours had a sieve in the top) that women poured their bacon drippin's in. The strainer caught the chunks of stuff, leaving the pure bacon grease, which was used to season all sorts of good stuff. Hell, Mother even sometimes just heated up the bacon grease and poured it over lettuce as a yummy dressing.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just made his point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
EMP
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, because one day the internet will be destroyed and you will wish you had them to look things up, or you cook use them to start a fire.
View Quote

I have a big box full of Penthouse, Oui, Playboy, etc. just for when that happens.  I will start a library and it will cost a chicken or a piglet to rent one of my mags...

On second thought, they can just buy them...I don't want them back...

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Settlement Cook Book, is a great resource. It tells you how to cook a turtle

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
When my great grandparents died (few months apart) I got a geography and...social studies book?  It was published in the 20s and almost plainly predicted WWII.  It's chilling to read what the authors knew far better than they realized.  "Steady as she goes" is the feeling conveyed to me nearly 100 years later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top