Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 4:05:46 PM EDT
Started it by bypassing the key?

I know how to start Honda Accords. Neighbor had his stolen and when it was dropped in a bad neighborhood I had to re-start it and drive it home for him to help them out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure.  Back in the 1960s.  Was easy then.  Just jump across the ignition.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Steering lock busted out ?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, and for the same reason.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. I know how to bust the column on older GMs and start with a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much this. Up into the 70's and other vehicle types currently on the road can be started like this but....

Now days......it's almost impossible for your "average" person.   You need computer access to the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, my ignition switch got loose and made it impossible to engage the starter, I could turn on the ignition just not start it.

So I ripped out the lead from the shitty aftermarket dome light and touched the starter lead to start it, did that until I had time to replace the ignition switch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
No, but while on shift.  I went outside and picked the ignition to an officer's patrol car and drove it down the street. That was awesome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pretty much this. Up into the 70's and other vehicle types currently on the road can be started like this but....

Now days......it's almost impossible for your "average" person.   You need computer access to the vehicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can start an 80s blazer this way, as well, I think.

I think you have to, if the under dash starter relay fails open.   And you don't have a replacement relay handy.

If it fails closed, your starter will just run away until the wires melt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My first vehicle was a 79 cj7.  I used a screw driver on the starter solenoid a few times
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
IIRC...for the GM's you used to just break the lock cylinder then use a pliers to move the rod that moved the switch in the column. For the Ford's you pulled down the trim panel on the underside of the column behind steering wheel to access the ignition switch and forced the steering wheel to overcome the column lock pawl. I think I saw this on Saturday morning cartoons between Conjunction Junction and How a Bill becomes a Law.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
hot wired car, no

cats, yes
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I broke my key off in my old Land Cruiser's ignition and had to bypass it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My first vehicle was a 79 cj7.  I used a screw driver on the starter solenoid a few times
View Quote

74 Ford F100, same technique.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I know how to on the older cars I owned, but never needed to.

It's sort of like the other piece of automotive trivia from my life - I've never replaced a flat tire on the side of the road. The closest I ever got, was coming out of my hotel room to see my rental car with a flat in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. But I have never done it on anything with EFI. I'm sure I could on a 90's car though... Not so sure about some of these new cars.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#20]
My old Spitfire when I was 15. I was always working on it and when my Dad wasn't around he took the keys so I couldn't start the car and drive it around.

One wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the ignition coil, screwdriver across the starter solenoid. and VROOM! No steering lock so I had fun when the parents left. Neighbors ratted me out however.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I rigged my 69 Camaro up with a toggle switch and a push button when I was in HS because I couldn't afford a new key switch. I still used the key to unlock the steering column, but I moved the electronics to the dash.

So yeah. I kind of hot wired one everyday.
View Quote

My buddy did that for his truck (just because). There was a hidden switch under the dash and he broke the steering lock so if you knew where the switch was, you could start it without the key.

He changed that after "someone" parked his truck in the middle of the marching band practice field
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Sure
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Never a car, but a Peterbilt or four because I forgot to bring a key on a service call.

Shockingly easy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Grandfathers Dump Truck.

We lost the Key....

ETA:
Dump Truck was amazingly simple..... just 3 wires. We put 2 on a toggle switch and one on a push button switch and never bothered getting a new key.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My buddy did that for his truck (just because). There was a hidden switch under the dash and he broke the steering lock so if you knew where the switch was, you could start it without the key.

He changed that after "someone" parked his truck in the middle of the marching band practice field
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I rigged my 69 Camaro up with a toggle switch and a push button when I was in HS because I couldn't afford a new key switch. I still used the key to unlock the steering column, but I moved the electronics to the dash.

So yeah. I kind of hot wired one everyday.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#27]
The ignition switch of my old Mk2 Jetta broke when I was in high school, so I just bypassed it instead of replacing it. Just two wires dangling down from the steering column, touch them to start. No key required.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, many of times. I use to install remote start on a lot of cars, it's easier for me to get past an immobilizer than most. It still takes time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Hotwire a late model car and you can start it, but steering it becomes problematic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#30]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I worked at a crappy British car restoration shop for a while a lot of the cars didn't have keys we would carry a jumper wire and just jump the battery positive to the coil then use a screwdriver to jump the terminals on the starter

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Steering lock busted out ?
View Quote

Yes, and key tumbler. Just a plastic rotating cylinder that made all the key functions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top