Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 2:16:23 PM EDT
I just picked up an old late 90's Gary Fisher fixed front fork mountain bike. My intention is to use the bike as a cheap, reliable, in town commuter. It has typical knobby mountain bike tires. I would like to put new tires on it that have less rolling resistance and are suitable for use on pavement. Should I go with new wheels or put new tires on the existing rims? What do I need to get and where do I go to get it?

The bike is one of these
http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=45681
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Walmart has the tires you want. Keep it cheap like you said.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Do I need any special tools to change the tires?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Continental Town & country if they're still made

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

eta: http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Town-Country-Urban-Bicycle/dp/B000ATVE0G
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If the originals or new ones are wire bead, a set of plastic tire irons will help.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If the originals or new ones are wire bead, a set of plastic tire irons will help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do I know if the tires are wire bead?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want the tire irons anyway.

Any of the bald mountain bike size tires will go right on there.  At least they did when I did the change.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Serfas police slicks on my Gary Fisher
Also Serfas comfortable saddles

For commuting though I would go Hybrid, way faster than a  hardtail.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Handle end of a small crescent wrench is all you need to pry the bead off the rim. Try it by hand first, you might not need a tool at all.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Check with your local bike shop. They should have slicks that fit your bike and you'll find the rolling resistance much better. Some of them are pretty inexpensive.
Wire bead tires will be the ones hanging on the wall in their full circle shape. They have a steel wire in them to keep them from coming off the rim. "Folding  tires" are in packages hanging on the rack. They have a Kevlar bead. They're more expensive and otherwise not that much different in my opinion. The bike shop will have tire levers which will make it easier to change the tires. I'd get new tubes too...which will decrease your chances of having to fix a flat on the side of the road. A liberal application of talcum  powder inside the tire will reduce the chance of flats too. It's a good combination. I think you'll like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top