Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2016 9:56:06 AM EDT

Baylor tight end LaQuan McGowan would be one of the largest players in NFL history if he is drafted this April. At 6'7" and 405 pounds, nobody on defense will want to get in his way.

Despite his size, he is no slouch. McGowan caught three touchdown passes at Baylor and can run a 5.41-second 40-yard-dash. He can also bench more than most of the offensive linemen invited to the combine.

Check out the Baylor Bear's skills and look for him in the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2634868-biggest-tight-end-ever-67-405lb-laquan-mcgowan-enters-nfl-draft?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
5.41 40? That's very slow.

What's his standing vertical jump?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Faster than me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure who would be interested in him as a te. He's too big , unless he will be used in blocking situations only
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Knees and ankles will be gone in less then 2 years in the NFL.

I wish him luck but he will have to lose at least 75 lbs of fat to make it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Kinda slow for a tight end I think...

He is a very niche tight end...blocking situations...

The occasional dump pass...

If he gets drafted..he may be converted into a tackle or guard...
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

No kidding. Durability in a man that large is often ... difficult to achieve.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
He'd last about 2 receptions in the NFL. That's a big slow moving target for somebody. If he can survive the Rocky The Flying Squirrel hits, the "smart" guys who tackle him low will help him finish wrecking his knees.

I doubt he'll actually play tight end. If he even ends up on a roster.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#8]
how's his run/pass blocking skills?

he'll get his chance as an O lineman, maybe the occasional use as a novelty pass catcher

in video the football looks like a Nerf football in his hands
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone will draft him, if for no other reason the publicity.

I'm sure you could build a few plays around him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is 400lbs. That is great considering his stature.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone will draft him, if for no other reason the publicity.

I'm sure you could build a few plays around him.
View Quote

I haven't seen him on anyone's TE draft board. He may luck out and sign as a free agent, but I doubt he'll be drafted. His 40 time is just too slow as a TE or O-Lineman. CBSsports.com doesn't even show him as the best TE out of Baylor.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I could see someone signing him as an undrafted FA and converting him to a 3-4 nose tackle just as a project. With that kind of size and his hour-glass 40 time, I'm actually surprised that wasn't done while he was in college. A 400 pound body makes for a decent NT even without any real ability. If he's even a little athletic, he could be a monster on the right defensive front.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Baylor fan.

Fun story, nice kid, but total gimmick.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I watched the 30 for 30 episode on the '85 Chicago Bears and immediately thought of LaQuan when they told the story of The Fridge.

I kind of doubt he can make it as a dedicated tight end, but I'm rooting for him to find a niche somewhere.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#15]
He would be the perfect 5yd out for Teddy Bridgewater.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That really depends on the curve you are measuring against.  For NFL players as a whole, that would be .6-.8seconds slower than the average.  For NFL tight ends, that is about .7 slower than average.  For NFL players at 400+ pounds, that is as fast as any have ever been.  For the population of the United States, that is blindingly fast.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I watched the 30 for 30 episode on the '85 Chicago Bears and immediately thought of LaQuan when they told the story of The Fridge.

I kind of doubt he can make it as a dedicated tight end, but I'm rooting for him to find a niche somewhere.

View Quote

The Fridge caught the 'beetus and is on death's door?
http://www.bigcamo.com/index.php
I saw him here and kinda figured he was doing well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, it takes a sprinter that long to get around him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That really depends on the curve you are measuring against.  For NFL players as a whole, that would be .6-.8seconds slower than the average.  For NFL tight ends, that is about .7 slower than average.  For NFL players at 400+ pounds, that is as fast as any have ever been.  For the population of the United States, that is blindingly fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering this thread is about a tight end eligible to be selected in this year's draft, that's what I'm referring to. 5.41 would be tied as the slowest 40 time off any TE on a draft board, and .4 seconds slower than the next slowest TE prospect. But I guess that's all and stuff to you.

I don't even see him working out as a NG/NT, because he's too tall.

If you disagree, we can place a bet if McGowan is on an NFL roster (not practice squad) on Week 1.

And Aaron Gibson (410 lbs as a player, slimmed down to 386 for the combine), had a faster 40 time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  The only way he's ever been effective is if the guy covering him is substantially smaller or because he's so big that cant get around him to deflect the ball in time.  Regardless, all that weight will catch up with him sooner than later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

The Fridge was "only" 6'2", 335.

Any number of High School players are bigger now.  Amazing.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Considering this thread is about a tight end eligible to be selected in this year's draft, that's what I'm referring to. 5.41 would be tied as the slowest 40 time off any TE on a draft board, and .4 seconds slower than the next slowest TE prospect. But I guess that's all and stuff to you.

If you disagree, we can place a bet if McGowan is on an NFL roster (not practice squad) on Week 1.

And Aaron Gibson (410 lbs as a player, slimmed down to 386 for the combine), had a faster 40 time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No bet on making the roster, that depends on far more than athletic ability (which is truly impressive with this individual just based on his size and 40 alone, but is all I know about him).

How would the coaches envision using him?
How well would the experience, mental tools, and physical tools that he brings with him translate to that role?
Is he coachable?  And are the coaches for a team that signs him capable of doing so?
Can he stay healthy, and can the players the players in front of him/behind him in contention for roster spots stay healthy?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No bet on making the roster, that depends on far more than athletic ability (which is truly impressive with this individual just based on his size and 40 alone, but is all I know about him).

How well would the experience, mental tools, and physical tools that he brings with him translate to that role?
Is he coachable?  And are the coaches for a team that signs him capable of doing so?
Can he stay healthy, and can the players the players in front of him/behind him in contention for roster spots stay healthy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All very good questions. I'd like to know these answers as well but I didn't find anything else with tangible info on him aside from his height/weight and 40 time. How's his lateral movement? How was he used in Baylor's offense?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#24]
For a guy better than 400lbs though...most O Lineman are around 5 or better and 75-100lbs lighter.
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Putting a guy like that at TE is a waste and a gimmick.  He should be playing nose tackle, using his mass to stop up running lanes, his relative speed getting around o-linemen, and using that height to knock down balls.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

All very good questions. I'd like to know these answers as well but I didn't find anything else with tangible info on him aside from his height/weight and 40 time. How's his lateral movement? How was he used in Baylor's offense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TE, blocking fullback, offensive lineman.

Not having any sort of trained eye for this sort of thing, I thought he would initially just plow the path without any real technique early on.  On occasion a defender would just cut around him and try to get a hand on the RB, with more or less success.  As he progressed it seemed to me he did get much better at sticking his block.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]
WHen we played him this year, he worked once, after that he was easy to stop

boomer sooner
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know much about this guy, just what the OP linked. With that said, I could see a team that was a "run first" style offense(not that there are a lot in today's game) using a guy like this. I mean, teams will often sub in a backup OL to play TE when it's an obvious running situation and they need as much push as possible. If this guy were to be drafted then they have that advantage in their run game, and it looked like this guy had decent hands so you have to watch out for the surprise dump pass to him as well.

I don't see him fitting most of the teams offenses but I will say I'm impressed with his athleticism at that size.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm amazed he can even run without several braced joints. He's 1 inch taller than me and twice my weight, and maybe a year or two older, and I'm just scraping by without major joint and back problems as is
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For a guy better than 400lbs though...most O Lineman are around 5 or better and 75-100lbs lighter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put him on a diet and see how much faster he gets at 350.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess there is no medial to become an NFL pick, as there is no way that is healthy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Sign him as a free agent, get the weight off of him and then let him be an athlete. He'll never be a tight end in the NFL at 405.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#33]
He will be a failure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Incredibly slow for a tight end.  Someone will turn him into an offensive tackle, or attempt to.  He has no future as a tight end.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Too slow for NFL tight end, possibly a job change to a tackle he might be good.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on the size of the man.  A 405 lb man running that fast is a force to reckoned with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Too slow for NFL tight end, possibly a job change to a tackle he might be good.  
View Quote

This.  His former skills as an NCAA tight end could still be beneficial to him, especially if he ended up with a coach like Beliceck who is creative in the use of his players, but I have a hard time believing he could be successful as a full time tight end.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

It'll be a glorious two years.

He'll do fine blocking.

But imagine this guy taking a shovel, finding a hole and then trucking the shit out of some poor secondary once he starts going downhill.

But yeah.  Big guys making yardage generally don't have long illustrious careers.  Play your 4 years, bank your cash and get a job at ESPN.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Putting a guy like that at TE is a waste and a gimmick.  He should be playing nose tackle, using his mass to stop up running lanes, his relative speed getting around o-linemen, and using that height to knock down balls.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Way too slow to be an NFL tight end. He'd basically be an extra blocking tackle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Here is a guy, also from Baylor, that I think will have a better chance as a successful NFL tight end.  He is a former collegiate basketball player, and as guys such as Antonio Gates have shown, being an athletic Basketball forward with good post up skills can definitely translate to being a good tight end in the NFL.  He will be a project for sure, but I think he has good upside.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/id/15282267/2016-nfl-draft-baylor-basketball-rico-gathers-serious-becoming-nfl-tight-end

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#42]
St. Louis had a 400-pound player for a bit.  Not sure what's up with him now though.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9308076/st-louis-rams-move-403-pounder-offense
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not sure who would be interested in him as a te. He's too big , unless he will be used in blocking situations only
View Quote

Packers hell ya Rogers could make him work
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I've seen some tape and he has pretty good hands.  If he was about 300lbs, he would be a beast at TE.  But until then, he needs to be on the D-Line.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Fast for his size but much too slow to play TE in the NFL by the looks of those videos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top