Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2016 9:22:37 PM EDT
I found this while helping my dad clean his basement, how are Makarovs for ccw?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Iffy safety
Iffy caliber

Maybe as a drop gun
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
sortofwant.jpg
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
So many better choices, but it would work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Killed plenty of Nazis
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Iffy safety
Iffy caliber

Maybe as a drop gun
View Quote

You can certainly question the caliber, but what's wrong with the safety?  It has a de-cocker.  You don't even need to use the safety as it's DA/SA, but you can have the added option of having a safety.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Killed plenty of Nazis
View Quote

Pretty sure it was invented after WWII.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I still have a P-64 I AIWB when I need the smallest possible gun.  I don't feel under gunned with it, but I know the first shot is useless, as I carry it decocked with the safety on.

Its not a whole lot smaller than a G43 though, and Im thinking of upgrading, and leaving the P-64 in one of my vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
It's perfectly serviceable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If that's what you've got, that's what you've got.

Hornady Critical Duty
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Sights are kinda tiny, and the caliber ain't so hot, but they're extremely accurate and tough as hell.

Hornady makes the best ammo for them that I know of.

I have an East German Makarov that I occasionally carry in the summertime, and it's a very comfortable carry piece with a good holster. I like the early Alien Gear hybrid IWB with the leather backing plate.

If you're not planning on having a huge firefight every time you go out, the Makarov will do fine for everyday carry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Better than a 45 at home.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Killed plenty of Nazis
View Quote

Your history is non accurate.
Your enthusiasm is refreshing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Killed plenty of Nazis
View Quote

Only in prison camps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Killed plenty of Nazis
View Quote

Wat?

Its kind of heavy for a .380ish but it will work fine. Run what you brung.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hornady Critical Duty
View Quote

I also have a Glock 21 and a Ruger P97 but the size and weight keep me from carrying as often I should.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Commie Walther PP

Bretty Gud except few good HP for 9mmMak.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Goes good with Buffalo Bore ammo for SD.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I also have a Glock 21 and a Ruger P97 but the size and weight keep me from carrying as often I should.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hornady Critical Duty

If you would carry the Mak more religiously than the other two, I would say carry the Mak.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're going to carry it then you will need this at some point. The factory sight doesn't last long hence this was invented. Bought one when I was into Makarovs. Well built.
http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/pistol-parts/makarov-pistol/ij-70-fixed-rear-sight.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can certainly question the caliber, but what's wrong with the safety?  It has a de-cocker.  You don't even need to use the safety as it's DA/SA, but you can have the added option of having a safety.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iffy safety
Iffy caliber

Maybe as a drop gun

Don't they slamfire or have a higher incidence of slam firing?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#23]
It's fine, but a little heavy for the mag capacity.  Like carrying a 1911 weight wise.

I do frequently carry a CZ-82 in the same 9x18 caliber.

Yours appears to be Russian, with adjustable sights.  Nice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuck no.  OMG...why would you even think for a minute that this gun is okay for CCW!?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a couple mak's way back in the day and have put a shit ton of ammo through the one, I trust it to work as it should, my only concern about using it for defense would availability of quality defensive ammo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iffy safety
Iffy caliber

Maybe as a drop gun

They are pretty safe.  I ride the hammer down slowly when using the decocker on mine.  Just in case.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]
GTG CCW

It's a very reliable firearm
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all the replies,  looks like a mix of good/bad. I guess the first thing I should do is go see if I can shoot the thing accurately.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck no.  OMG...why would you even think for a minute that this gun is okay for CCW!?  
View Quote

Why not?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#30]
They can be really accurate and they ARE very reliable.  Dare I say, glock like reliable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're shooting political dissidents in the back of the head I guess it might work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry one with me on my motorcycle.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Solid piece...probably better to sell it and buy a modern 9mm. The values are creeping up slowly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They can be really accurate and they ARE very reliable.  Dare I say, glock like reliable.
View Quote

+1.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I've carried mine before, like others have said they are heavy but as long as it goes bang each time you pull the trigger then carry it.

It's not the best option but it's better then a sharp stick and I wouldn't want to be shot by one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one and I've carried it before. It's a fine weapon and fits my hand very well, though there are 9mm's that weight the same/less and are the same size. The ammo is as good or better than .380 and very cheap.
If you want to carry it I'd swap the super-snaggy and questionably stable adjustable rear sight and get a fixed one here: http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/pistol-parts/makarov-pistol/ij-70-fixed-rear-sight.html. You may need to shim it a bit with thin brass shining stock or whatever else you prefer to use. Mine tends to shoot a bit high out of the box without a thin shim under the sight. Also be sure to loctite the sight screw or it'll play cosmonaut in the middle of a range session.
Also consider the FAB "PM-G" grip that gives you a one-hand/drop-free magazine release, usually found on ebay for around $40.

ETA: Also get rid of the lanyard ring on the grip. It'll dig into you something fierce when against your body. Get a grip without it or cut it off the one you have.

ETA2: And change out that useless recoil spring, and get a 19lb or 21lb replacement from Wolff. The factory spring is under-powered and leads to unneeded battering of the slide/frame. I have a 21lb in mine and it recoils almost like a 22lr, and it never fails to cycle or feed.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Heavy by modern standards.

Dead nuts reliable.

I am a big MAK fan, but I would rather carry a S&W Shield or a Glock 29.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#38]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAEbbhRJNYw
Here is a Mak torture test.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#39]
It'd work fine up close. just dont plan on doing any sort of fast reload

Get some practice with that safety though and make sure your makarov is one of the good ones (Makarovs by no means are created equal)
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That's too collectable to turn into a CCW.
View Quote
The IJ-70 is the ugly bastard stepchild of the Makarov world. You'd have a hard time selling it for $250 (I would know, I've sold a few and currently own one I got for $200 about 2 years ago in LNIB condition). It's certainly not a collectable. But they are well-built albeit crudely machined and finished compared to other Makarovs. It will serve fine as a CCW.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iffy safety

Iffy caliber

Maybe as a drop gun

You're probably thinking of the CZ-52 which had a bad decocker design. The Makarov isn't capable of firing on decock unless someone shaves several mm of metal off both of two separate protrusions on the back of the safety.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#42]
damn it, now i want one again..
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Carried my mine many times.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#44]
If its all you've got, sure, run what ya brung. Modern, affordable platforms are better suited for modern CC but as a stash/backup gun that is free from your dads basement, totally decent.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iffy safety
Iffy caliber

Maybe as a drop gun

As with SKS's, the firing pin channel should be cleaned of cosmoline, but it otherwise is no more prone to slam fires than other pistols.  I did a search and actually found an old post of mine in this thread below.  It is a rock solid pistol design but, as noted, there are better options for CCW.  I prefer 9mm Luger and much higher capacity.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=46&t=72038

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Get some practice with that safety though and make sure your makarov is one of the good ones (Makarovs by no means are created equal)
View Quote

I don't think there is much difference between the manufacturers other than cosmetic.  The East Germans are beautiful pistols, but the Chinese one's as mechanically sound.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I qualified with the same model Makarov back in the mid 90's as an off duty gun (paid $165.00 for it brand new at a local dealer).  Shot a perfect score on the standard qualification course.  Accurate, with a good American made HP load a little better than the .380.  It would make a good car gun (if legal where you live) as worse case scenario, if stolen, you would not be out a more expensive gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I don't think there is much difference between the manufacturers other than cosmetic.  The East Germans are beautiful pistols, but the Chinese one's as mechanically sound.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

His is an IJ-70, the export model intended for the US civilian market. They weren't finished as nicely and show more machining marks, but they are as reliable and durable as any other Makarov.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's perfectly serviceable.
View Quote

I agree.  There are (IMHO) "better handguns."  But, it'll do.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#50]
There are so many better options I can't imagine why anyone would intentionally carry one.  A range toy or for collecting? Sure.  For serious? Dumb.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top