Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2016 11:34:06 AM EDT
I'm not in a place to research them right now and they are tax free today.

Wife wants to get one that can run basic home necessities via transfer switch. Preferably something that can be bought commercially.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the biggest Generac your budget will allow. We have the 17.5 kw unit at work, and it gets used quite a bit out on jobs, never broken down. Got a hell of a deal on it, too. It was a refurb. unit, and IIRC, we paid around 1500 for it I think, but that was like 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Need more info, like what specifically you plan on running and what fuel type you're looking for.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
northstar. northern tool
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need more info, like what specifically you plan on running and what fuel type you're looking for.
View Quote

Fridge, lights, septic
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the Westinghouse 9000 from amazon and a Generlink throwover. So easy the wife can wheel it out and plug it in. Plus if i move it all goes with me. The Westinghouse went all night on one fill up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
How good are Hondas?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Hondas are very good. They are also pretty quiet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Honda generac yanmar are all good canidates. I bought a generac gasser last year that is 8kw for 500
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
what size breaker for your septic?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what size breaker for your septic?
View Quote

No clue. It hasn't been installed yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I place honda above most, however that budget will only get you 2000watts from them... eu2000i

It'll run a fridge and lights no problem.  Would need stats on the pump.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Municipal water or a well?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Muni.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Prepper holiday in Texas.  

Check the Generac propane generators on sale at Home Depot today.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Swinging by there when I leave here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sold only online

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sold only online  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sold only online  

Well crap. I hope they offer free shipping.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sold only online  

Here is the small one they make a size bigger.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Champion makes dual propane gasoline generators. I would check them out.  I think the ideal size is about 3- 3.5 kilowatts for fuel efficiency and most of them are pull start instead of electric start. If I am not mistaken a aerobic system septic tank is pretty low demand for wattage.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's the fuel consumption rate? I stayed away from LPG/propane because I don't have gas service and the price of burying a 1,000 gallon tank was more than I wanted to spend.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What's the fuel consumption rate? I stayed away from LPG/propane because I don't have gas service and the price of burying a 1,000 gallon tank was more than I wanted to spend.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

9hr/20lbs

I have read reviews that say they do better in practical application.  I am prepper holidaying it too.  I have no personal experience yet.  But I want a propane generator.  You put up to a 30lb cylinder on the generator for mounting.  Might be heavy but a propane generator will have less long term engine maintenance, and propane doesn't go bad.  

From a prepper perspective you will only have power with a gas generator if you have gasoline.  If your gasoline is bad and there is a crisis, will you be able to get more?  I know you will eventually run out of propane but at least you can stock up if you want and save it long term.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Best = quietest.

Honda.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Best = quietest.

Honda.
View Quote

Never understood that.  When the power's out & you're in the dark; who cares how loud the genny is?  FWIW, I've had a Troy-Bilt 5.5KW generator since the blackout of '03.  Always works & loud as hell....
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Costco has a Dual Fuel ((Gas/Propane) 7KW for around $800.00

Link
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
9hr/20lbs  

I have read reviews that say they do better in practical application.  I am prepper holidaying it too.  I have no personal experience yet.  But I want a propane generator.  You put up to a 30lb cylinder on the generator for mounting.  Might be heavy but a propane generator will have less long term engine maintenance, and propane doesn't go bad.  

From a prepper perspective you will only have power with a gas generator if you have gasoline.  If your gasoline is bad and there is a crisis, will you be able to get more?  I know you will eventually run out of propane but at least you can stock up if you want and save it long term.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9hr/20lbs  

We are having a 1500 gallon tank buried. So propane may be a good option.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9hr/20lbs  

Buy once, cry once. Get a Generac Whole House Generator
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9hr/20lbs  

As cool as that is, we are having a 10.5 kW solar system installed Wednesday. I am told with a good electrician a nifty override switch can be installed should a long term power failure situation happen.

I am looking for something short term and more universal, since generators are tax free today up to 3,000, that's why we are impulse buying one. Just in case.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Go to northern tool

This is what you seek

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200464517_200464517

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I got a 4800watt Robin with electric start for $500 from a buddy who works at a dealer and had overstock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

you'd better learn quick or you are going to overspend for under-performance and with the wrong fuel.

i really don't know why folks "panic buy" without doing their homework.

i haven't finished my generator how-to document yet but here's a start for you:
http://losdos.dyndns.org/wiki/reference:generator_oracle

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'd get the biggest Generac your budget will allow. We have the 17.5 kw unit at work, and it gets used quite a bit out on jobs, never broken down. Got a hell of a deal on it, too. It was a refurb. unit, and IIRC, we paid around 1500 for it I think, but that was like 4 years ago.
View Quote

Man a 17.5kw unit for 1500 sounds like an incredible bargain.

A former client has a 100kw nat gas fired unit they would give away for a couple thousand...mostly because it can't be permitted in CA anymore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As cool as that is, we are having a 10.5 kW solar system installed Wednesday. I am told with a good electrician a nifty override switch can be installed should a long term power failure situation happen.
View Quote

most residential solar setups can not be used as a backup power source.  a "good electrician" with a "nifty override switch" will not change the fact that the common inverters require a source of AC power to synchronize with, and using a generator for such purpose will not work.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]

you need 15 gallons of gas PER DAY to run that at half load.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ar-jedi

That's fairly typical of a big generator like this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

you'd better learn quick or you are going to overspend for under-performance and with the wrong fuel.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

People are panic buying because they are tax free today, and the wife tasked me with getting one this morning.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Some generators put out voltage that isn't stabilized for sensitive electronics. They mess with computers and radios and such.

If you think you may ever need to use a ham radio or computer off of generator power you might want a genset with a good voltage regulation section. .
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

People are panic buying because they are tax free today, and the wife tasked me with getting one this morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Wait, what?  Why are generators tax free today?

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

OP

I have the north star  13000 surge watt 10000 running tri fuel model , runs on gas , propane or natural gas

I bought it roughly 8 or 9 years ago and had no problems with it . I had a transfer installed where I can pick the breakers I want on in my home when running the generator . It pretty much runs my whole house and have used it for a week straight after a hurricane took out all the power in my state.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Just in Texas. State comptroller did it for all emergency prep supplies up to $3k due to all the natural disasters such as tornados and floods.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some generators put out voltage that isn't stabilized for sensitive electronics. They mess with computers and radios and such.

If you think you may ever need to use a ham radio or computer off of generator power you might want a genset with a good voltage regulation section. .
View Quote

North star generator

Clean Power Keeps Electronics and Appliances Safe

Today’s appliances and electronics need clean power to run effectively. Clean power is smooth, steady power with low harmonic distortion. With less than 5% harmonic distortion at full load — the same as electricity from the utility company — this NorthStar generator provides reliable performance whenever you need it. Other brands advertise no load distortion levels yet actually have distortion levels as high as 20-30% at full load. Be sure to compare distortion levels at full load rating
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

most residential solar setups can not be used as a backup power source.  a "good electrician" with a "nifty override switch" will not change the fact that the common inverters require a source of AC power to synchronize with, and using a generator for such purpose will not work.  

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Why won't a 240V output generator work as a sync source?  Voltage too dirty?

Go big or go home parallel 2 20kW's
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#42]
You have several classes you can choose...

2000ish Watt or less inverter, see Honda, Yamaha, or knockoffs ~700-1200 range (quiet above all else, also good for sensitive electronics)

3500ish Watt or less AC generator, usually 120v, quite a bit louder ~250-400 range (best bang for your buck… louder though, good fuel economy, easily run fridge and load you specified, but have to be careful trying to power a whole house if you have high draw electric appliances). I have a champion 3500w remote electric start, manual transfer switch and it easily runs the whole house with all the lights, TV, fridge etc, but all my water heater, range, and appliances are gas so it's easier.

7kW 240v, basically same as above, but wired to pull both poles at 120v ~350-800 range, cheapest, will run the whole house without a problem generator so long as you're reasonable. Will run your electric range and most standard electric water heaters. Costco has the Champion tri fuel ones on sale a lot for $600. The Northstar posted would also be a good generator in this category but on the highest end of the spectrum of options.

Dedicated standby generators, see generac, etc $2000+ typically plus install, typically NAT gas or propane.

Larger commercial units 10kW+

Trailer job site generators 10kW+

Etc, etc
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

How good are Hondas?
View Quote
The best. Yamaha is 2nd.

I'd get a Honda with lower wattage over a lesser brand .

With some transfer switches you can swap between various circuits. Run the fridge for a while, then switch to water heater, etc.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hondas are very good. They are also pretty quiet.
View Quote

The little ones are practically silent.

I was a KCR once, walking through the campground.  I heard what sounded like a breeze through trees...and almost tripped over a honda generator.

It was that quiet.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
northstar. northern tool
View Quote

that's what I did, just note a northstar 8000 is really a 6,600. they are powered by Honda and built with good components.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
9hr/20lbs  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9hr/20lbs  

Why not get a generator that runs on gas and retrofit it to run on propane?

they you will have a generator that can run on two different fuel sources.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#47]
motorsnokel was just on sale for arfcommers $98 again...tri-fuel retrofit quick and easy
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Got it, had a nice little coupon attached and tax free.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#49]

Just got it wheeled in.

They want $199 for the wheel kit for this thing? WTF? Two hundred bones for a couple of wheels that bolt on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/13083179_10100263240657371_2117825954557439519_n.jpg?oh=228b4695707d3bf2e1dafb4668d4fdc7&oe=57A2857A

Just got it wheeled in.

They want $199 for the wheel kit for this thing? WTF? Two hundred bones for a couple of wheels that bolt on.
View Quote

Nice choice

you won't be sorry

Yeah the wheel kit when up in price.

I think I paid at least $100 for it when I bought it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top