Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 11:16:52 PM EDT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/phoenix-shooting-charges-dropped-1.3550032?cmp=rss

All charges against a man suspected in freeway shootings that rattled
Phoenix last year will be dismissed, prosecutors said Friday.

View Quote

Jerry Cobb, spokesman for Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery,
said that the office filed a motion to dismiss all charges without
prejudice against Leslie Merritt Jr.

"In conjunction with [the Department of Public Safety], we have
identified additional forensic investigation that needs to be completed
in order for the case to proceed," Cobb said.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw this coming. His gun was in pawn during one of the shootings they attributed to him.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Been following this on the local news. Of course they break the story at 5pm on Friday.

Governor stuck his foot in his mouth when he sent out a message on Twitter saying "We got him!" as Merrit was arrested. Oops.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Square. One.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
In other words are they saying they found new evidence that suggests they got the wrong guy?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
This will end up being the best thing that ever happened to that guy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]
This the guy turned in by the pawn shop?

I can't remember the details, but it's possible this guy will own a pawn shop in his future?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This the guy turned in by the pawn shop?

I can't remember the details, but it's possible this guy will own a pawn shop in his future?
View Quote

I'm curious as hell too.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In other words are they saying they found new evidence that suggests they got the wrong guy?
View Quote

The State's ballistician said there's no way the bullets came from the gun that Merritt Jr. owned.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The State's ballistician said there's no way the bullets came from the gun that Merritt Jr. owned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have we seen that statement?

While we can surmise that's the case, and I agree it's likely his findings.....I'm sure everyone is under a gag order and Haag under a confidentiality agreement...

If you have more detailed info please point me to it,  thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

For sure
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's disgusting how a completely innocent person can have all freedom taken away with no or little obviously questionable evidence.

Even now they are keeping the guy on bracelet monitoring and a gag order under the pretense of "he's guilty but we need more time to investigate".
When in reality they probably know they fucked up and plan to string it out in a way that waters down the chances of a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Rush to judgement and some dude in the wrong place.

But remember kids, everyone accused of rape or molest must be hung immediately.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Merritt's legal team filed a $10 million lawsuit in march against the County and others involved in the case.I don't think that happens very often before a trial even starts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought I read that he spent 6 months or more in solitary?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

While we can surmise that's the case, and I agree it's likely his findings.....I'm sure everyone is under a gag order and Haag under a confidentiality agreement...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what the news reported.  I don't have any other info.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Hard to call it a "justice" system when the judge, DA, and cops are all acting in the best financial interest of the county.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Side note: does the gag order get lifted now that they dropped the charges, or can they silence him indefinitely just by claiming they are still investigating?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#18]
CSI and other shows aren't real Criminal Science. "enhance", "enhance" a pixel, and all guns in America being magically in all one easy to use database is a TV plot tool not real world fact, along with "matching barrels" of firearms.

I'm pro cop, but till those above them exercise basic sense, and recognize science, and not, "muh feels". I hope most counties in America go broke getting their asses kicked in at the court level for being a DA to stupid to have critical thinking skills. In this case the guy pawned the gun off before most of the shootings happened, and the gun was in a pawn shop the whole time. Therefore he wasn't involved at all.

We are America. We have the best, and brightest on this planet mostly. We are suppose to be better than this crap. I will somehow have to explain this case I am sure, to my none American/Canadian friends.8(  

We got some idiots, but still ahead of the other 6.5 billion plus people mostly. But stuff like this doesn't sell "our brand" if you will to outsiders like the UK, EU, and places alike Australia, and New Zealand.

Uggh what a mess.

But this forum called bs the day to three after this guy was arrested. How yall are smarter than the DA, no idea, but it was called months ago by a good portion of the hive mind here by what I recall.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I was always more worried about Sheetrock and plywood, or landscapers tools, flying off of trucks and hitting my car along I-10
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most likely. They could also have been running into speedy trial issues while waiting for testing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#21]
we have identified additional forensic investigation that needs to be completed in order for the case to proceed

Watch they will try to use bullet lead analysis to go after this guy rather than admitting they were wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#22]
If the case was dismissed why is he under electronic monitoring?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

But for now it's still the worst.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It wasn't dismissed yet.  There was evidence (or lack of evidence) presented on Thursday which 'motivated' the Judge to reduce his bond to $0, effectively freeing him.  Since the charges are still pending, he's under monitoring.  The State, just today, moved to drop all the charges.  That probably won't happen in court until next week at the earliest.  When that happens, and if the Judge agrees, the monitoring will end and he will be 100% free.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It wasn't dismissed yet.  There was evidence (or lack of evidence) presented on Thursday which 'motivated' the Judge to reduce his bond to $0, effectively freeing him.  Since the charges are still pending, he's under monitoring.  The State, just today, moved to drop all the charges.  That probably won't happen in court until next week at the earliest.  When that happens, and if the Judge agrees, the monitoring will end and he will be 100% free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that include lifting the gag order too?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MCAO moved to dismiss all charges without prejudice

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/freeway-shooting-update-state-moves-to-dismiss-all-charges-against-leslie-merrit-junior
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Merritt has filed a $10 million claim against Ducey and the state, claiming they ignored evidence, intimidated witnesses and falsely accused him of the shootings.
View Quote

Meanwhile, they never caught the actual shooter.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#28]

"All I have to say is I'm the wrong guy," he said at his initial court appearance in September. "I tried telling the detectives that. My gun's been in the pawn shop the last two months. I haven't even had access to a weapon," he said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Earlier in the case, a state’s expert issued an opinion stating the bullets recovered from the vehicles were in fact fired from a gun that Merritt had pawned and recovered numerous times.
View Quote

Guess the state needs to find a new 'expert'.

Merritt entered a plea of not guilty, and his lawyers have challenged the strength of the state's evidence against him, pointing out officials altered the timeline of when they occurred, and accused DPS of lying to witnesses and withholding evidence .
View Quote

CNN)Phoenix prosecutors on Friday filed a motion to dismiss charges against the man accused in a string of highway shootings in 2015.
View Quote

Legally speaking that is great news for Merritt and his family; however, that means the real shooter(s) is/are still out there, and DPS has its work cut out for it since we are eight months since the shootings occurred.
View Quote

What a fuck up. Unfortunately, the crooked cops in this case wont be going to jail.

http://ktar.com/story/1034092/phoenix-freeway-shooter-dropped-charges/
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/dps-accused-of-lying-to-freeway-shooting-witness-hiding-evidence
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Leslie Merritt Jr. receives several job offers since release from jail

Jason Lamm, Merritt’s attorney, said Merritt is very grateful for the job offers and the support he has received from the community.

Lamm said Merritt will go over all of his job offers and pick the best one to get his life back on track to support his family.
View Quote

Keystone Kops

Recently, the County Attorney’s Office called in secondary ballistics professionals to confirm whether Merritt's gun was in fact connected to the shootings, like DPS said in September 2015.

Those additional ballistics tests revealed the original bullet fragments could not be confirmed to be from Merritt's gun.

Since Merritt's arrest, the Department of Public Safety has not asked for the public's help in solving the crimes, even though the other seven are unsolved.
View Quote

We arrested the wrong guy AND we gave up searching for the shooter who is still shooting.

Despite the statement from Ducey's office, ABC15 has reported on several shootings on Valley freeways in the past seven months. Including a shooting on the Loop 101 in Scottsdale.
View Quote

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/leslie-merritt-jr-receives-several-job-offers-since-release-from-jail
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#31]
What if someone from the pawn shop was using his rifle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top