Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 7:45:05 PM EDT
I have a Fowler disc micrometer, and the drum marking is not zeroing out correctly.  The digit counter is fine, just the drum is off.  I have the adjustment wrench, but no idea how do adjust it properly.  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you take the ratchet part of and there may be a small set screw for adjustments, of does the set screw over the digits loosen to adjust the numbers? .0200 off, something really moved.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I could tell you how to adjust the graduations on the barrel of the mic but I don't think there is any adjustment to the digital drum.  I could be wrong, but I've never seen one that wasnt slightly off kilter.  I used to have a 1-6 Starrett set like that, and they were all 6 a little wonky.  

I'll be honest, that is why I sold them, it drove me fucking crazy.

ETA: That mic isn't at "0" anyway.  Or, the barrel and the digital readout don't match.

ETA2:  I'm a fucking idiot and realized that's exactly what you're asking.  Hang on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Helps if you have a precision ground gage block or pin.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
That video shows adjusting both readout and drum.

Basically, unscrew the ratcheting thimble on the end and pop the barrel off to get at the adjustment nut you'll use that little spanner on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I like this answer best.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks, I'll watch the video once I get home!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure about fowler, but a lot of mics you don't have to disassemble to re-zero. Flip it over and there should be a hole on the barrel with the graduations. Just put your spanner on there and adjust. Its basically just a friction fit on that barrel so make sure you don't pull it away from the shoulder or its going to mess up how the graduations line up.
We always check ours at both ends of the range.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No luck on either...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ayup, don't even try without it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top