BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 5:45:04 PM EDT
[url]http://www.wral.com/news/2194473/detail.html[/url]

State Law Sticks Pittsboro Couple With Unexpected Repair Bill

Wake Deputy's Car Hits Couple's Car; State Not Liable For Damages

POSTED: 6:30 p.m. EDT May 9, 2003
UPDATED: 6:35 p.m. EDT May 9, 2003

PITTSBORO, N.C. -- If a sheriff's deputy hits your car, and it is not your fault, you are still stuck with the bill to fix the damage. A Pittsboro couple learned about that state law the hard way.

Last Wednesday in downtown Raleigh at the intersection of Blount Street and North Street, Barton and Sharon Holtz parked their car. When they came back from lunch, a Wake County sheriff's deputy had crashed into their car. The Holtzs claim the deputy struck another car and the collision sent the deputy's car into their vehicle.

"We opened up the car door and everything that had been on the dash and in the little pockets in the dash was now in the front seat," Barton Holtz said.

The crash bent the frame of the Holtzs' car. The total damage is estimated to be worth $1,500. However, when Barton Holtz called the county to file a claim, they denied the claim.

"Because of an North Carolina statute, Wake County does not have to have liability insurance for automobiles. I said I'm incredulous," Barton said.

North Carolina law protects public servants from liability when they are performing official duties. In this case, the deputy was on duty. The Holtzs, with a $500 deductible on their car insurance, are stuck with the bill.

"You could say we had a $525 lunch," Barton said.

Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison does not like the law, but he said his hands are tied.

"I'm not in favor of the way it works either. I think if we're at fault, we should pay but I don't have any choice in that," he said.

The state originally passed liability immunity to protect goverments from frivilous lawsuits. The Holtzs say their case is not frivolous, and they want everyone to know what could happen if the wrong person hits you.

The state and the city of Raleigh will pay liability claims if their employees are involved in an accident. They had special legislation passed to do so. Wake County employees were involved in 175 crashes with the public in the last fiscal year, of which 20 were disputed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
My friend got hit in the back at a light by a cop car.  Messed up his firebird bad,  of course he had a suspended licnese and no insurance and the car had a salvage title on it already.  He went to jail didnt get any fines and got money for his car.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Civilians should be honored when things like that happen to their cars.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
If his hands "are tied" as far as the state goes, maybe he'll do the right thing and...

oh hell no he won't!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#5]
What a bunch of crap.

I know my boss is a stickler about his patrol cars and if we have an at fault accident we are at least looking at days off with no pay.  

Anybody who drives cars as much as we do at work is going to have an accident sooner or later.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top