Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 5:40:49 PM EDT
Midway has this on sale now, I think it's brand new.  Anyone used it yet?

Here's the link to the product on Hornady's website.

And the important stuff-

G1 B.C. = .625
G7 B.C. = .293

Those seem like pretty fair numbers to me, and this has the new non-melting tip that is supposed to give better performance at range.

I'm interested for sure.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend at work loaded up some 143 ELDs for his .260 and reports that they shoot pretty well.  Myself I can't bring myself to pay .43 per projectile for anything from Hornady.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Will that fit in a Grendel?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Will that fit in a Grendel?
View Quote
way to slow....  stick with 123's

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
i use the eld-m... all the BC's on dead on for the new ELD's
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
I reload for my 6.5 Creedmoor and I'd love to try either the ELD-M or ELD-X bullets - I just can't find any in stock...

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I reload for my 6.5 Creedmoor and I'd love to try either the ELD-M or ELD-X bullets - I just can't find any in stock...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i got 1000 :p

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?

I thought they just hit the market, how long have you been playing with them?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?

My local Sportsman's Warehouse had a ton of them. I picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor so I went back to snag them, they were all gone
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My local Sportsman's Warehouse had a ton of them. I picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor so I went back to snag them, they were all gone
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?

Bullets or ammo?  I'd take either, just curious.  I really like Hornady stuff and the Berger won't feed in my MEGA MATEN, it would be great to have a high bc hunting bullet that feeds.  130gr would really get me cranked up.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm using them (bullets, not loaded ammo) . I think the BC must be pretty spot on because I was making hits at 1100 yds with the data I plugged into my ballistics program. I had to dial much less elevation than I did with the Nosler custom competition's that I was previously using.  They seem to be just as accurate so far.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Where?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where?

ive had them for a month or 2 now... work good, but i still have 400 hornady bthp's to use up

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ive had them for a month or 2 now... work good, but i still have 400 hornady bthp's to use up  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?

I've got a bunch of those too, probably about that many.  But I essentially have an infinite supply as I have only taken about 20 shots in the last 8 months.

I really like the numbers on those and would love to try them out.  Have you seen the white paper Hornady did  on match ammo?  You can find it HERE.  They describe some of the weaknesses of other match grade hunting ammo (Berger) and their development of this bullet.  I haven't read the entire thing yet, I'll wait for a workday to do that

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm waiting on larue to release a 6.5cm or even a 260 barrel for my tObr.  I'm hoping it's the creedmore.

Hopefully by then these will be easier to snag.  They're supposedly extending our range from max of 600 yards to at least 1k this summer.

And I'm afraid at that point I'll regret having sold both my 338 lapua's. Just hated burning 90ish grains of powder at 600 when my 308's were just as adequate at that range.

Thinking I'll replace the 338 with a 6.5 though for economy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm waiting on larue to release a 6.5cm or even a 260 barrel for my tObr.  I'm hoping it's the creedmore.

Hopefully by then these will be easier to snag.  They're supposedly extending our range from max of 600 yards to at least 1k this summer.

And I'm afraid at that point I'll regret having sold both my 338 lapua's. Just hated burning 90ish grains of powder at 600 when my 308's were just as adequate at that range.

Thinking I'll replace the 338 with a 6.5 though for economy.
View Quote

Honestly, I don't really see a reason for the .338LM when the 6.5CM/.260 are so capable at so much lower cost and recoil (and gun weight, but my 6.5CM semi auto is 14 damn pounds so that's not always true) unless you really need the energy for some reason.  With the advances in ammo supply and selection for the 6.5CM I'm now VERY happy I made the decision to go CM over .260.  I have all the stuff to reload but never do it anymore, too busy and off the shelf ammo for the CM is crazy good.  I really wish Hornady would produce a 123gr CM round, their 123gr Amax has much better ballistics than the 120gr, but they don't sell 123gr CM ammo.  My 123gr handloads for my semi-auto were bug-hole groups and the velocity is really nice.

I'm really liking the looks of that Prime ammo too, just heard of it the other day for the first time...  You'd think I spend all my time in GD instead of tech forums.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been shooting the 140 since January.  I actually bumped the BC up a little, but my rounds a moving pretty fast.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been shooting the 140 since January.  I actually bumped the BC up a little, but my rounds a moving pretty fast.
View Quote

How fast? What is your preferred launching device?

I'm hoping they perform well in semi autos, as I have no precision bolt guns anymore after getting my tObr.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm hoping they perform well in semi autos, as I have no precision bolt guns anymore after getting my tObr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm running the 140 at 2913 out of a 26" Bolt gun chambered in 260.  You wont get close to that out of a a semi auto.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My 140 grain Hornady HPBTs are running 2815 out of a 28" barrel 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm running the 140 at 2913 out of a 26" Bolt gun chambered in 260.  You wont get close to that out of a a semi auto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, and I don't need to.  My Tobr is a16".

But I would go 20 if I get a 6.5. That said, the velocity/ballistics would be compared to the 16 inch 308 that it would be replacing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But I would go 20 if I get a 6.5. That said, the velocity/ballistics would be compared to the 16 inch 308 that it would be replacing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you go with a gas CM you're going to want a bit more length on the barrel and the longest gas system you can stick on it.  It has a flatter pressure curve than the .308 and has some issues that the .308 doesn't exhibit in gas guns.  Mine is 22" and it really could stand a longer than rifle-length gas tube.  

Or...  Make sure to post results, I'd like to see if/how you make it work out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top