Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 2:39:31 PM EDT
My photo bucket needs and upgrade, can someone fetch and post the picture please?

Not securing the load, but damn he had to go from 60-0 in 2 seconds I would think.

FB link
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1034883116594020&id=498435820238755

Also on the same site.
Hell on earth refinery explosion.
See the people running, the absolute "oh shit" moment of fear had to be off the scale.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1034302129985452&id=498435820238755
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The company I'm working with now had to move some major pipe for two offshore projects from Port of Houston area to the Corpus Christi area.

It was 184 miles of pipe.  8" and 10" OD with wall thickness of 1 - 1.5".  That's nearly a million feet of pipe.  Over 2,000 truck loads.

Once it dawned on people on the project how serious this was, we worked to upgrade all the trucks we would be using to have reinforced cab protection and employed people just to ensure the loads were correctly tied down and instituted a major safety program that included all the drivers and loadout teams.

We did it just because of this reason.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Driver paid for his mistake with his life.

Securing cargo is not something to halfass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a mobile drill rig that ran into a ditch. The drill rods went right thru the cab. Looked like a howitzer used it for target practice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a load off his mind.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Did someone else secure it for him?

Did he not check?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Where else is the pipe supposed to go?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did he not check?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he not check?

Many times with loads such as the one in this incident, securing it against all odds isn't possible.  I'm not sure you could apply enough load in the vertical direction to restrain that equipment in the horizontal direction.  There just isn't enough friction.  He needed a reinforced cab protector.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought DOT required a cab protector, either trailer or tractor mounted, for any such cargo?

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's a load off his mind.
View Quote

You just had to ram that pun in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Many times with loads such as the one in this incident, securing it against all odds isn't possible.  I'm not sure you could apply enough load in the vertical direction to restrain that equipment in the horizontal direction.  There just isn't enough friction.  He needed a reinforced cab protector.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he not check?

It's the driver's responsibility to make sure it's secured properly and from what all the flatbed truckers I've seen say is that straps for steel is a huge nogo.  

Special Rule for Special Purpose Vehicles Generally, the basic rules concerning the minimum number of tiedowns do not apply to a vehicle transporting one or more articles of cargo such as, but not limited to, machinery or fabricated structural items (e.g., steel or concrete beams, crane booms, girders, and trusses, etc.) which, because of their design, size, shape or weight, must be fastened by special methods. However, any article of cargo carried on that vehicle must be secured adequately to the vehicle by devices that are capable of meeting the performance requirements and the working load limit requirements.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought DOT required a cab protector, either trailer or tractor mounted, for any such cargo?

Kharn

View Quote

It's not required but if a header board is not present you must use extra tiedowns in the front.

ETA: That load needed chains, not straps
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]
That's why you call those huge rolls of steel that are lined up to roll front to rear on the back of a flat bed...

suicide rolls.

I used to drive for a company that hauled big rolls of aluminum to a can plant beside a Coca-cola bottler. They would load us at Alcoa in TN with 3 rolls that weighed between 45-48,000 lbs total. The rolls were rolled vertical on a pallet. 1 big one at the front of the trailer and 2 slightly smaller at the rear over the axles. The only way to secure the load was by nailing 2x4s on the floor around the pallet.

If you slammed the brakes, the rear ones would break free and hit the front one like a pinball. It would slide right out the front of the trailer. If a lot of speed was involved, it would come into the cab. If not, it would fall into the gap between the truck and trailer.

Over the many years that the company operated, I think 2 drivers died and many trucks/trailers were destroyed by this happening. And that was one small trucking company

Even doing everything right, it is easy to die when pulling freight. Driving a truck is long, boring, monotonous, dangerous work with little respect from the people that drive around them.

ETA: How much would you like to bet that a car pulled out in front of him and made him slam on the brakes to cause this to happen. I didnt read the story, but I am guessing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn, what a way to go.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#18]
This is why trucks get headache racks.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have seen that more than once here. There is a company that used to haul pipe from the rail yard to their pipe yard. Every year or so one guy would get the bright idea not to belly wrap his load and it would either come through the cab or break the straps and end up on the road.

I don't think anyone ever died though. It was usually under 40mph when it happened.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Not that I've seen.  We have quite a few OTR trucks pull up on site loaded with pipe and no headache rack.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
The whole thing shifted.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's why you call those huge rolls of steel that are lined up to roll front to rear on the back of a flat bed...

suicide rolls.

I used to drive for a company that hauled big rolls of aluminum to a can plant beside a Coca-cola bottler. They would load us at Alcoa in TN with 3 rolls that weighed between 45-48,000 lbs total. The rolls were rolled vertical on a pallet. 1 big one at the front of the trailer and 2 slightly smaller at the rear over the axles. The only way to secure the load was by nailing 2x4s on the floor around the pallet.

If you slammed the brakes, the rear ones would break free and hit the front one like a pinball. It would slide right out the front of the trailer. If a lot of speed was involved, it would come into the cab. If not, it would fall into the gap between the truck and trailer.

Over the many years that the company operated, I think 2 drivers died and many trucks/trailers were destroyed by this happening. And that was one small trucking company

Even doing everything right, it is easy to die when pulling freight. Driving a truck is long, boring, monotonous, dangerous work with little respect from the people that drive around them.

ETA: How much would you like to bet that a car pulled out in front of him and made him slam on the brakes to cause this to happen. I didnt read the story, but I am guessing.  
View Quote

The article describes this as a single-vehicle accident, so there was something that caused the drive to hit his brakes hard.  I hope he had a dashcam that caught what happened so that the driver's family doesn't think that their loved one was so stupid as to hit the brakes and cause this to happen for no reason.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think those thin ass racks will stop that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

suicide rolls.

View Quote

I bet he was TEXTING...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet this style would-

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The company I'm working with now had to move some major pipe for two offshore projects from Port of Houston area to the Corpus Christi area.

It was 184 miles of pipe.  8" and 10" OD with wall thickness of 1 - 1.5".  That's nearly a million feet of pipe.  Over 2,000 truck loads.

Once it dawned on people on the project how serious this was, we worked to upgrade all the trucks we would be using to have reinforced cab protection and employed people just to ensure the loads were correctly tied down and instituted a major safety program that included all the drivers and loadout teams.

We did it just because of this reason.
View Quote

Not trying to be a dick, but did anyone consider moving that by rail? Or was it just not possible to move it close enough then truck?

2K truck loads is a lot of moving.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it isn't... I remember in the 90's in the Chicago area a driver leaving a steel mill over by the lake with 2 17k lbs rolls of steel, having one come off on I-80 at speed... and it continued to roll a ways... and over several cars.

Securing a load is a life or death proposition.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I bet this style would-

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/PZ8AAOSwu1VW3zRc/$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet this style would-

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/PZ8AAOSwu1VW3zRc/$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Doubt it. You can't really stop that much steel with something just bolted to the frame of a truck. I never see any that are built very heavy, just aluminum.

Best bet would be a trailer with it built in then one on the truck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#31]
OP's post is the very reason why all my trucks have headboards on them, even the ones that don't normally carry loads that are likely to shift in an impact.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I bet he was TEXTING...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

suicide rolls.

I bet he was TEXTING...

I am not saying that truckers are not capable of stupid and dangerous behavior, BUT I have also found that a lot of big rig wrecks are caused by cars.

It could very well have been that a car pulled out in front of him and he "had" to slam on brakes to avoid the accident. The car may not have even realized what it did and is long gone. The other option was to drive thru the "likely" car and the guy did not want to kill them and had hoped his load would be secure. What if it was a dog or a kid that ran out. I would hope that any decent person would stop to at least report the accident.

Let me also add, though, that the driver not securing his load is entirely his own fault. However, let me also add that it could have been well secured and just broke free. Chains may have been better for tying it down, but it is possible that there was a reason straps were used(client or company policy issue). You can't possibly get a strap tight enough on a heavy load and the slightest movement could easily have popped the straps that sent the load into the cab.

Either way, it sucks for the guy. I am 44 and I would hate to know that my family did not have me around because of a tragic work accident.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Many times with loads such as the one in this incident, securing it against all odds isn't possible. I'm not sure you could apply enough load in the vertical direction to restrain that equipment in the horizontal direction.  There just isn't enough friction.  He needed a reinforced cab protector.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did he not check?

Many times with loads such as the one in this incident, securing it against all odds isn't possible. I'm not sure you could apply enough load in the vertical direction to restrain that equipment in the horizontal direction.  There just isn't enough friction.  He needed a reinforced cab protector.

Hauling steel like that is a real bitch. Difficult to get enough tension into the holddown straps or chains to create enough friction to keep the load in place.

It's just not possible to secure a load to survive a crash, most times. If this happened just under braking, then load was not secure enough. If the truck hit something, then all bets are off. Legal requirement is tiedown devices have to be strong enough to handle 60% of the load weight. In other words, strong enough to handle 0.60 G load, which is greater than stopping and cornering capability of a truck.

As mentioned, if the dunnage compressed under load and/or vibration, then tiedowns are not providing enough friction, allowing the steel to slide. A headache rack on the tractor, or headboard on the trailer probably would not have helped much, because unless the steel is tight against the headboard to eliminate motion, once that shit starts moving, the momentum will punch it through most anything.

Again, tiedowns are only to keep the load in place under normal operating conditions, such as stopping and cornering - not in a wreck situation.

Please think of this, before pulling into that 'stopping zone' in front of a big truck. That driver is leaving that space for him, not you.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My photo bucket needs and upgrade, can someone fetch and post the picture please?

Not securing the load, but damn he had to go from 60-0 in 2 seconds I would think.

FB link
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1034883116594020&id=498435820238755

Also on the same site.
Hell on earth refinery explosion.
See the people running, the absolute "oh shit" moment of fear had to be off the scale.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1034302129985452&id=498435820238755
View Quote

Oh man! That refinery explosion was horrific!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#36]
When my dad owned his own tractor and flatbed trailer a while back I swear a headache rack was required if you hauled a flatbed without it's own bulkhead. Apparently the law has since been changed. Probably wouldn't have made much difference anyways.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Thats sad to see. Bad shit can happen when trucking, but there are a lot of things one can do to make it "less bad".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top