Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/22/2016 2:32:04 PM EDT
I have a large collection of music.  Perhaps 100 tapes, 200 records, and upwards of a thousand CDs.  Plus, I have a portable hard drive full of digital music.  On the wall behind my entertainment center I have shelves with CDs stacked up to the ceiling with every type of music imaginable.

Well, I just read an article about how we know we are getting old when we are still using Compact Disks  The last I checked, they still sell CDs in Target and Walmart so that article was probably written by some millennial trying to make himself look sophisticated on an online forum...BUT I would like to know what the general thoughts here are...are CDs still relevant or they only for us old timers now?

I would think at the very least they would be a backup of the music you'd rip from the CD to play on the MP3 players.   I just had someone give me a broken memory stick and I needed to do some soldering to repair it enough so that I could get her music off it.  Last I checked I never needed to solder a CD.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used a cd in at least 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Disc, fogey.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Digital storage of music at a 16-bit, 44.1kHz rate is still pretty high quality stuff.  I personally would take that any day as a raw .wav file format over some of this streaming pile of crap that they re-encode with the latest codecs.  

Remember, storage is very cheap these days.  Think about how many CDs can you fit on a usb flash drive now, say around 64GB.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Digital storage of music at a 16-bit, 44.1kHz rate is still pretty high quality stuff.  I personally would take that any day as a raw .wav file format over some of this streaming pile of crap that they re-encode with the latest codecs.  

Remember, storage is very cheap these days.  Think about how many CDs can you fit on a usb flash drive now, say around 64GB.  
View Quote
?? meaning  what, exzactly ??

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Bluray and DVD are ancient history also. Everything is download now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]

I've had too many USB  drives crap out to feel comfortable going digital only.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a large collection of music.  Perhaps 100 tapes, 200 records, and upwards of a thousand CDs.  Plus, I have a portable hard drive full of digital music.  On the wall behind my entertainment center I have shelves with CDs stacked up to the ceiling with every type of music imaginable.

Well, I just read an article about how we know we are getting old when we are still using Compact Disks  The last I checked, they still sell CDs in Target and Walmart so that article was probably written by some millennial trying to make himself look sophisticated on an online forum...BUT I would like to know what the general thoughts here are...are CDs still relevant or they only for us old timers now?

I would think at the very least they would be a backup of the music you'd rip from the CD to play on the MP3 players.  I just had someone give me a broken memory stick and I needed to do some soldering to repair it enough so that I could get her music off it.  Last I checked I never needed to solder a CD.
View Quote

Last I checked, memory sticks aren't affected by scratches, heat, UV, chips, age, etc.

Yes, CD's are old.  Hell, I don't have a single CD/DVD/Bluray player anywhere anymore.  I don't even recall using one in a car for years now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I've just recently started buying cd's again lol. I hate the way the aux input cables only last for a few months and then start crackling through the speakers. And neither of my vehicles have Bluetooth radios. So I have XM in my Silverado and CDs. Corolla just has cd's lol. I also don't like storing songs on my phone. Takes up too much space IMO. So if I want to hear something specific right then I'll hook up the aux cable and pull it up on YouTube.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I use CDs in the Taco but my car just got a stereo upgrade with a USB input.  Having 64gb of music on hand in the car is fucking awesome not to mention I don't have a phone book sized CD case floating around the car.

I use this and you can't even tell I have a USB stick in the face of my stereo, it is that small.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Sold most of mine a few years ago and embraced digital music.
I truly love carrying all my music with me wherever I go.
No moving cds from house to car and back, twenty minutes from home and you realize you left th ce you wanted to listen to.
Less shit in the car thats attractive to thieves to break in for.
Less waste(Earth day-Fuck yeah!)
Dont have to waste 10-20 bucks on a cd when I only want one or two songs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I've bought probably 8-10 CDs this week

I like physical media
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I view my CDs as storage devices at this point. I'll transfer them to my laptop and iPhone for most of my listening needs. But I still like having that physical media as a back-up. Don't like messing with "clouds':

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#16]
very relevant if you care about sound quality. My nephew got a system put in his F150, digital amps, fed off his Iphone. I got out. It sounded like garbage. If you rip at a high rate, digital media can sound pretty good, but I still prefer sticking a well mastered CD in a good head unit (CD Player).
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm an old fogy and even I think they are old technology anymore!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm 40 so I grew up with cassettes, saw CDs appear and now have thousands.  A 20-something joked with me the other day about listening to a CD.  So, what should I do?  Do people sit down in front of a computer for hours and copy/paste music from CDs into folders and then drop them onto USB thumbdrives and such?

Teach me your newfangled ways young arfcommers.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've just recently started buying cd's again lol. I hate the way the aux input cables only last for a few months and then start crackling through the speakers. And neither of my vehicles have Bluetooth radios. So I have XM in my Silverado and CDs. Corolla just has cd's lol. I also don't like storing songs on my phone. Takes up too much space IMO. So if I want to hear something specific right then I'll hook up the aux cable and pull it up on YouTube.
View Quote

A modern car stereo is what, $100?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't even know where my CDs are. I imagine they're in bins out in the garage somewhere. I ripped them to files years ago, and I just keep lugging the boxes from house to house as I move, because...reasons?

I haven't purchased a CD in at least 10 years.

Now vinyl records? That's another story. I own at least a thousand, and I buy brand new ones at least once a month. If you're a new artist and you want me to own a physical copy of your work, release it on vinyl (and TONS do these days - it's awesome). If you can't or won't, then I'll just stream it through Spotify.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I only buy them so I can play then in my oldest car. Since Amazon offers free MP3 copies of CDs purchased, I don't mind getting physical media.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use CDs in the Taco but my car just got a stereo upgrade with a USB input.  Having 64gb of music on hand in the car is fucking awesome not to mention I don't have a phone book sized CD case floating around the car.

I use this and you can't even tell I have a USB stick in the face of my stereo, it is that small.
View Quote

Nice! Might order one for my car.

Mine has a USB port built into the lower console and I have a regular-sized stick in there right now. This would be a heck of a lot nicer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm 40 so I grew up with cassettes, saw CDs appear and now have thousands.  A 20-something joked with me the other day about listening to a CD.  So, what should I do?  Do people sit down in front of a computer for hours and copy/paste music from CDs into folders and then drop them onto USB thumbdrives and such?

Teach me your newfangled ways young arfcommers.

View Quote

They're all sitting on my media server (which is really just a spare computer running Plex, with assloads of redundant storage). If I'm in the car, I transfer the songs/albums I want to my phone. In the old days, I would have lugged a binder full of CD's out to the car. This is basically the same thing, but easier (and I can carry a shit ton more music). And more and more these days, I don't even bother doing that. I'll just open Spotify, and tell it to cache my playlists locally, so that I'm not burning through my data while I'm in the car (you have to have a $10/mo subscription to do this).

If I'm sitting down and listening to music at home, it's almost always an LP on the turntable. Otherwise, I just play the tunes out of my Plex library through my stereo.

I consider a CD to be an expensive and cumbersome digital storage medium, with a very limited capacity. Because that's exactly what it is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I have too much OOP music on LPs and CDs to give up on them but I haven't bought many records, or CDs in the past 5-7 years.

Vinyl is in a resurgence and while CDs are still sold, D/Ling music, 'music on a stick' and streaming are where it's at.

Add to those, High Resolution (Hi-Rez) downloads and things are pretty easy.

I'm a collector by nature and I'll always keep my music, regardless of format.

Chris

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I listened to Megadeth on CD while driving in to work today ...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I still buy music on CD, then after burning to MP3, archive the disc - just in case...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I like that I can use them to get better lossless rips for my music library.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I still buy music on CD, then after burning to MP3, archive the disc - just in case...

A.W.D.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Video killed the radio star

Spotify killed the CD star
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Video killed the radio star

Spotify killed the CD star
View Quote

I like Soundcloud, but I'm an EDM freak.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I've seen some cases on Amazon where it was cheaper to order the CD than to buy the MP3 album.

Does that seem right to you?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I go to a local company that sells used CD's and books. I buy my classical CD's for $2-$8. The CD's are usually 2+ hours of music.

I still have a CD tower and don't care to spend more money on music.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I still buy music on CD. I just bought 5 more albums last week. I rip them to my computer and put them away in a box. I like having hard copies in case my hard drive dies. That still happens from time to time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#34]
All I listen to is CD/SACD/DVD-A.  Then again I'm an audiophile snob who really fuses over the source.  Yes, a 1000 dollar CD player makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If seen some cases on Amazon where it was cheaper to order the CD than to buy the MP3 album.

Does that seem right to you?
View Quote

Yes. Supply and demand.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I still buy music on CD. I just bought 5 more albums last week. I rip them to my computer and put them away in a box. I like having hard copies in case my hard drive dies. That still happens from time to time.

View Quote

I have offsite backups.

If I lose an entire array, there is no way in hell I'm going to take the time to rip all of my physical CDs again. They're a backup copy sure, but man they sure are a cumbersome one. Doing that is the last resort to end all last resorts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I still buy movies on CD out of the $5 bin at walmart for the cabin.
View Quote

They are nice to have if the provider stops streaming them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I haven't used a cd in at least 5 years.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]
AM/FM/CD in my Tacoma, so yes.

Also yes to whether or not CDs are obsolete.

So what?  They still play, and they work without connectivity.

USB and Bluetooth are clearly replacing them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#40]
most new vehicles dont even have a cd player anymore
I honestly couldnt tell you last time I played a cd
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#41]
78, 45, 33-1/3, reel-to-reel, 8-track, cassette, CD  -- I can still play 'em all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have offsite backups.

If I lose an entire array, there is no way in hell I'm going to take the time to rip all of my physical CDs again. They're a backup copy sure, but man they sure are a cumbersome one. Doing that is the last resort to end all last resorts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have offsite backups.

Yeah backups and offsite are great ideas. I still prefer hard copies though. I'm going to be upset when they stop selling CDs.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I would think at the very least they would be a backup of the music you'd rip from the CD to play on the MP3 players.   I just had someone give me a broken memory stick and I needed to do some soldering to repair it enough so that I could get her music off it.  Last I checked I never needed to solder a CD.
View Quote

When was the last time you tried to play those tapes or the older CDs?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Geebus I feel old now. I have a PLEX loaded up with hundreds of DVD movies, but my CD's are still loaded in the Sony jukebox that I bought many years ago. I can still remember the first CD player that I bought. Must have been around 1986. Technics component single disk player, no remote. I think I got Fresh Aire I as a demo disk from the dealer. Cost me a friggin' fortune that I didn't have back then.  And yes, I still listen to CDs in the car, on the factory 6 disk changer. From 2001.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#45]
They make great coasters.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I still buy CDs, but my will is faltering.

I buy everything I can from Amazon. For most music, an .mp3 of the CD automatically downloads to my and my wife's various devices. I get the CD in the mail, then hopefully remember to rip it to one of my hard drives where I keep all of my music. I rip using variable bit rate in Windows media format. The CD then goes into a bin under the guest bed rarely to be seen again. Every six months or so (optimistically), I overwrite the SD cards in my phone and a media tablet with my ripped music. I believe I can hear the difference between an .mp3 and variable bit rate .wma file.

However, as time goes by, more and more music gets purchased one song at a time or never gets ripped to the hard drive. I can't really tell you for sure when I last overwrote the SD cards. Good playback technology and good audio systems at home and in the car make .mp3 sound tolerable. If Amazon would push their music at better sound quality, I would abandon the CDs altogether.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I grew up with cassette tapes. By the time I was fourteen CDs started taking over. I don't have any cassette tapes left, but I do have hundreds of CDs. That being said, I haven't used a CD in ages. I can't remember when. I use digital files exclusively now, it just makes more sense. I use 256kbps, it's a reasonable balance between sound quality and file size.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I still buy CDs, but my will is faltering.

I buy everything I can from Amazon. For most music, an .mp3 of the CD automatically downloads to my and my wife's various devices. I get the CD in the mail, then hopefully remember to rip it to one of my hard drives where I keep all of my music. I rip using variable bit rate in Windows media format. Every six months or so (optimistically), I overwrite the SD cards in my phone and a media tablet with my ripped music. I believe I can hear the difference between an .mp3 and variable bit rate .wma file.

However, as time goes by, more and more music gets purchased one song at a time or never gets ripped to the hard drive. I can't really tell you for sure when I last overwrote the SD cards. Good playback technology and good audio systems at home and in the car make .mp3 sound tolerable.
View Quote

You really should be using FLAC as the codec.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#49]
IMO, CDs are only good for ripping to a digital format of your choice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I buy CDs and then import them into my MacBook Pro as Apple Lossless.

Next I sync my iPod 160gig Classic as Apple Lossless for the stereo, the iPad at 192K and the iPhone at 128K.

For serious listening I don't dig compressed music any more than I have to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top