Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/22/2016 12:55:28 PM EDT
Does anyone really know what affect this would have?  I'm pretty sure some people would die, global warming would be blamed and my taxes would go up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Katrina x100.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Lois Lane is going to die
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

OK Al Gore.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
San Andreas isn't the big risk.

The big risk is the Juan de Fuca plate under Oregon.  

Shallow subduction angle and long period of dormancy.

When it slips again, the resulting earthquake will be a lot more like the devastating Chile or Alaska quakes.

In Alaska, the quake was so massive that solid ground liquified and entire floors of buildings just sank into the ground.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does anyone really know what affect this would have?  I'm pretty sure some people would die, global warming would be blamed and my taxes would go up.
View Quote

Either event would have a devastating effect on the US economy.  It will take decades to recover.

An at least equally likely and devastating event would be a major earthquake in or near the state of Washington or an eruption of Mount Rainier.

Quoted:
California slides into the ocean.

Like the mystics and statistics say it will.
View Quote

Statistics indicate an equal likelihood of everything east of the fault sliding into the Atlantic Ocean.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Who knows.........that shit could be biblical.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was stationed at Norton AFB in San Bernardino, the disaster preparedness folks told us over and over that if the San Andreas let loose, San Bernardino would pretty much cease to exist.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Either a hilacious homeowners insurance rate incease or cancellation all together.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In Alaska, the quake was so massive that solid ground liquified and entire floors of buildings just sank into the ground.
View Quote

what was the date of that one?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I predict this hotel will be standing... until I pay my bill.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Bad things

But then again, it will be a boon to the construction industry.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When it slips again, the resulting earthquake will be a lot more like the devastating Chile or Alaska quakes.

View Quote

There you go again. Blaming illegals for all our problems.

Geology and plate tectonics are racist.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Gun confiscation
Disbanding of the Constitution for "emergency purposes"
$5 trillion emergency bailout
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I've read that it would be game over if the New Madrid erupted. Most of the bridged that truckers use crossing the country would be taken out and grocery stores only have a three day inventory. It would take a lot longer than three days to fix enough of the bridges.

It would be looting, murders, and fire in the streets.

And cats and dogs like going together.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]
San Angeles will be created.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
"Cut loose" ?     Meaning What?

It's pretty easy to extrapolate, if we are to assume the the historical precedent.    

The most interesting effect would be the US and Global markets.       They would collapse in the short term, followed by a shot of stimulus that would make the TARP look like a warm cup of herbal tea.    

The dollar dies a little more, but it would represent a great buying opportunity in the Stock Market.  Get your CAT buys teed up and ready to go!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Either a hilacious homeowners insurance rate incease or cancellation all together.
View Quote

Homeowners policies explicitly exclude losses caused by earthquakes.  If your house gets shaken apart you had best pray that it catches on fire too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#19]
count on an invasion of foreign powers descending like vultures claiming to be angels of mercy
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've read that it would be game over if the New Madrid erupted. Most of the bridged that truckers use crossing the country would be taken out and grocery stores only have a three day inventory. It would take a lot longer than three days to fix enough of the bridges.

View Quote

"And behold! A white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow;. . "

So kinda like that??
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#21]
California tumbles into the sea...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#22]
New Madrid would likely be felt further than San Andreas in terms of its impact on the economy, logistics, food supply, and so on.  I mean - lets face it, CA is already a lost cause.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Life will go on. Or it won't for some.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnatude 9.2.

1964:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OK Al Gore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK Al Gore.

Non Sequitur

Defn: WTF?  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
All the sinking in the ocean stuff is from Edgar Cayce.  However, he did have a good track record, especially claiming "plates" of the earth's crust, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I will find out just how good my earthquake rider on my homeowners policy is....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Homeowners policies explicitly exclude losses caused by earthquakes.  If your house gets shaken apart you had best pray that it catches on fire too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in other words keep a box of matches handy
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Getting across the Mississippi by vehicle would be impossible for a long while.  They'd have to barge supplies in...assuming they had a serviceable port.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I will find out just how good my earthquake rider on my homeowners policy is....
View Quote

+1 always carried it and the insurance guy always acts like I am crazy since I live in central Illinois.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Just saw a story on this last night.  Even with a 7.9 (the highest possible with the San Adreas fault) they estimate 1800 dead and some cracking but not huge chasms or the state falling into the sea.  Apparently all the big buildings have been successfully modded and constructed.

And no tsunamis, the quake has to occur at sea for a tsunami.  2012 and San Andreas lied!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not familiar with west coast soils but a lot of the ground in the Midwest is going to get squirrely with liquefaction.

It will be a crazy mess. Lot of dead people, buildings and bridges down or unsafe, food shortages, water and sewer lines broken leading to out of control fires and disease.

Oh, and last big new Madrid quake made the Mississippi River run backwards for a bit if I remember correctly from a geology class 20 years ago.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#33]
As for the New Madrid, look up the formation of Reelfoot lake in northwestern TN.

The MS river flowed backwards for a couple of days to fill it up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Katrina x100.
View Quote

x10

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

March 27, 1964

Downtown Anchorage:

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#37]
When New Madrid goes again (it is overdue) it will love St. Louis tenderly, like a Marine in Bangkok on leave from Vietnam taking the first hooker he sees.

Memphis will lose every building over 3 stories, nothing of downtown will remain after the Mississippi washes it clean.  

Not out of the realm of possibility that we see severe damage as far off as Nashville, Little Rock, Louisville.  Not world-ending for those places, but they will hurt.

I will be on State Active Duty for over a year, I should think.

This is the scenario that Kentucky Emergency Management practices for every year.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#38]
4 regions of the Agency I worked for ( for 26 years)  got together and did a revamped response plan in 2007.......It was also part of the "Catastrophic Annex" to the National Response Framework.....

Figure 12 million people in the "high risk" areas.....probably 16 by now.....

After the incident, the fires, the dam/levee failures, the US&R, sheltering, temporary housing, long term recovery, the worst would set in.....the long term economic impact and restoring infrastructure.....

It's on par with WW3.....and with what DHS and Fugate have done with FEMA over the past few years, it might be worse.....the whole agency is now run by ex-Coast Guard flunkies with little to no real emergency management background......

I'll be getting a debris removal contract.....

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#39]
The Sierra's weren't made because the plates are pulling CA away, think of it as Plan B for invading Nevada/Arizona etc
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

So... business as usual in Memphis and East St. Louis then?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can guarantee that mine will burn to the foundation just as the earthquake strikes.  Along with everyone elses in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When New Madrid goes again (it is overdue) it will love St. Louis tenderly, like a Marine in Bangkok on leave from Vietnam taking the first hooker he sees.

Memphis will lose every building over 3 stories, nothing of downtown will remain after the Mississippi washes it clean.  

Not out of the realm of possibility that we see severe damage as far off as Nashville, Little Rock, Louisville.  Not world-ending for those places, but they will hurt.

I will be on State Active Duty for over a year, I should think.

This is the scenario that Kentucky Emergency Management practices for every year.
View Quote

Can I get that guaranteed in writing?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

x10

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Katrina x100.

x10

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

That said, I predict this hotel will still be standing...  Until I pay my bill.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#46]
pretty much this.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So...Costa to the rescue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4 regions of the Agency I worked for ( for 26 years)  got together and did a revamped response plan in 2007.......It was also part of the "Catastrophic Annex" to the National Response Framework.....

Figure 12 million people in the "high risk" areas.....probably 16 by now.....

After the incident, the fires, the dam/levee failures, the US&R, sheltering, temporary housing, long term recovery, the worst would set in.....the long term economic impact and restoring infrastructure.....

It's on par with WW3.....and with what DHS and Fugate have done with FEMA over the past few years, it might be worse.....the whole agency is now run by ex-Coast Guard flunkies with little to no real emergency management background......

I'll be getting a debris removal contract.....

So...Costa to the rescue?

Worse

eta: there are some smart folks in charge of Response/Recovery.......the real buffoonery is up near the "top".....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is a huge lake system and documented reports as the aftermath the last time New Madrid let go in a big way.  Next time millions will be affected directly.

Bridges from St. Louis to Memphis would fall down, not just close.  There are two ferries between St. Louis and the lower end of the boothill.

I had a dream about a volcano rising up near New Madrid.  It was tall enough to see from St. Louis and had snow cover at the top after just a few days.  Made a beautiful sight in my dream.

View Quote

Bootheel.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top