Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 10:42:28 AM EDT
I have been through 2 craftsman riding mowers over the years and want to try something different. Cub Cadet is the front runner for me right now due to the Kohler engine vs the Briggs on a Deere or Husquvarna. Anything specific I should know or look for? I would be getting the one of the lower end models. Probably a 46" deck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
My Craftsman died after 7 years.  Was not happy with the power or grass catcher performance.  When it died I could of had it repaired for about $500.  I decided to go with a new one and chose the Cub Cadet.  It has easier steering, tighter turning radius, seems to have more available power though is 3HP lower.  The Grass Catcher will pick up anything that is not attached to the ground.  I have accidentally sucked up a 10" 2x4 I did not see in the tall grass.  Turned it into chips.  

The only thing I did not like regarding the Cub Cadet was the price of the Grass Catcher for the 50".  I adapted the catcher from my old Craftsman and it works fine.  

Yes go for the Cub Cadet
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If your yard is flat I'd get a Hustler zero turn. Lowe's sells them but I'd go to a dealer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Cub is made by MTD.  Same company that makes all the many of the cheap mowers labeled as store brands at many retailers.  They are more expensive than the cheap ones, but I'd look close at what your getting for that money over the cheaper MTD product.

I just purchased a new Husqvarna, and it has the cast iron front axle (An item Craftsman used to advertise before they contracted with MTD) instead of the folded sheet steel that the MTD product I replaced had.  Reading some reviews, I heard a lot of unpleasant things about the Kohler.  Yes, I replaced the MTD, because the Briggs gave up, but I got 13 years out of it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cub is made by MTD.  Same company that makes all the many of the cheap mowers labeled as store brands at many retailers.  They are more expensive than the cheap ones, but I'd look close at what your getting for that money over the cheaper MTD product.

I just purchased a new Husqvarna, and it has the cast iron front axle (An item Craftsman used to advertise before they contracted with MTD) instead of the folded sheet steel that the MTD product I replaced had.  Reading some reviews, I heard a lot of unpleasant things about the Kohler.  Yes, I replaced the MTD, because the Briggs gave up, but I got 13 years out of it.
View Quote

You had me in the first paragraph and lost me in the second. I don't mean to sound snobish, but your Husqvarna isn't much better than the box store MTD copies. For a real mower, you have to go to a dealer, NO box store sells a quality riding mower. 99% of them are ALL made in the same mtd factory, on same tooling, just different colors/stickers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Step son bought a Cub Cadet with hydraulic steering, plow, hydrostatic drive, snowblower.

Used it 2 seasons and the hydro pump went out.  Could not get a new one and it is now junk.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#6]
As stated above, if you want the real deal that will last decades, you have to go to an authorized dealer and not a big box store (aka Home Depot, Lowes).  The one at the box stores only have the brand names but are cheap pieces of crap.  You will pay twice as much going to a real dealer but it will last 10 times longer and do a much better job.  Look at Hustler zero turn if you want the best in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you are stepping up to a true garden tractor then you might as well get another Craftsman. For the most part riding mowers are only different in their paint color.

That being said I prefer AYP built machines over MTD. That is really the only difference in boxstore mowers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
We use them at the fire stations.

Can't recall the model numbers but they have the Kawasaki engines. Despite the abuse and neglect inflicted upon them they have been going strong for several years. Ours were purchased from an authorized dealer though and not a big box store.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Run far away as fast as you can from Cub Cadet.These are not your Dad's Cub Cadet.They are made by MTD and are garbage.I made the big mistake of buying one.Worst cutting lawn mower I ever owned.Hood broke and fell off while I was mowing.Don't take my word for it.Go to the Cub Cadet forums and read up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a new one at Home Depot in 08.  Have had very little trouble with it.  A couple of electrical issues, which Google diagnosed right on the nose and even had U-tube videos how to fix.  Seat switch,  a fuse, and a ground wire for activating the mower deck solinoid..  Mine is the entry level LT 1045.  One thing that has helped me is a Harbor Freight Motorcycle lift table with a plywood adapter table top wide enough to drive the mower up on.  Jack it up to old man with a bad back level and sit on a rolling mechanic's stool to work on it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Run far away as fast as you can from Cub Cadet.These are not your Dad's Cub Cadet.They are made by MTD and are garbage.I made the big mistake of buying one.Worst cutting lawn mower I ever owned.Hood broke and fell off while I was mowing.Don't take my word for it.Go to the Cub Cadet forums and read up.
View Quote

This.  And its a shame.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You had me in the first paragraph and lost me in the second. I don't mean to sound snobish, but your Husqvarna isn't much better than the box store MTD copies. For a real mower, you have to go to a dealer, NO box store sells a quality riding mower. 99% of them are ALL made in the same mtd factory, on same tooling, just different colors/stickers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never intended to imply that the Husqvarna from the big box store was far and away better.  Its slight more money than the house brand MTD, and that same price as the Cub by MTD, for what I felt to be a better product.  Is it as good as what you can get from a dedicated garden equipment dealer, NO, it is half the cost or less, you bet.  John Derre and Husqzarna each make their own mowers.  They are among the few you will find at the big box stores NOT made by MTD.  That have a some items that justify their increased costs over the standard MTD (rolled edges on the body panels, Mow in reverse operation, etc.)  The Cub, looked to be just another MTD with a cushy seat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look at Hustler zero turn if you want the best in my opinion.
View Quote

This Best mower I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Cub Cadet last year after reading a lot of reviews on a lot of different mowers. I got the XT2 with a 50" deck. I like it so far and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the price difference between a 44" John Deere mower at a big box store and an actual JD dealership?

I can tell you my friend bought a JD tractor roughly 28-32hp size with front loader and some attachments about 12 years ago.
The diesel now has about 650 hours on it.  He could easily sell it for more then he paid when brand new.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have been through 2 craftsman riding mowers over the years and want to try something different. Cub Cadet is the front runner for me right now due to the Kohler engine vs the Briggs on a Deere or Husquvarna. Anything specific I should know or look for? I would be getting the one of the lower end models. Probably a 46" deck.
View Quote

I was just reading somewhere about the Kohler 7000 engines; they are an updated and improved version of the Courage engines which themselves were fine engines (except for the early singles which had some issues) General opinion is that they are gtg. You aren't going to get the Kohler Command or the better Kawi engine in ones you buy at Home Depot, but there is a model with the upgraded transaxle that you can order there.
Someone mentioned the steering on the XT1 and XT2, another feature that's getting high marks. MTD gets a bad rap for building shitty $1200 riders for everyone on the planet.....but so many people only want to spend $1200.

I think its a toss-up between the Deere, Husq/Airens/Caftsman, and Cub in the basic 46" range; I'd pick the most comfortable.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What is the price difference between a 44" John Deere mower at a big box store and an actual JD dealership?
View Quote

"D" series is the same machine, same price; John Deere sets the price. X-300/500/700 series are a whole different animal
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a gt2186 from a dealer in 2003.  Has been a good mower.  Not a problem with it that I could not attribute to normal ware and tear.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This.  And its a shame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  And its a shame.
Yep. I still mow with a Cub Lo-Boy. I doubt there are any new garden tractors built as well those were.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep. I still mow with a Cub Lo-Boy. I doubt there are any new garden tractors built as well those were.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  And its a shame.

Every time I see one for sale I want it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top