Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 3:33:12 PM EDT
I am 15 years old, and when I graudate high school, I am going to join the military. My problem, the Marines or Army? I've already ruled out the Air Force and Navy (just a personal prefrence). At first I was all Marines, but now that the Army is recruiting civillians into Special Forces, I'm not sure which one to join. I know I still have a lot of time to think about it, but any help would be nice. Pros/Cons of Army and Marines? Personal experience would also help a lot. Thanks, Mike S.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You have 2.5 to 3 years or so to make a choice.  The recruiter does not want to see you, officialy, until you are 17.  Use this time to gather info and make your decision.  If you have specific questions about a certain aspect of any service, then you have come to the right place to get answers without worry of "recruiter spin".  But, if you open up with a general "Which one is best overall", then all you are going to get is a bunch of very proud and able vets venting our respective spleens.

A good way to start would be to let us know what MOS's you are interested in, and where you would like to travel on the big blue marble.

Staff Sergeant, USMC
'84 - '99
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Might as well start it all now,... I wanted to be all gung ho at first too. Then, I realized I wanted to get out someday and use what I learned to get a job.

Not too many organizations looking for riflemen or Mortar operators right now. Navy Nuclear was the place for me. God bless the Marines and the Army, but the Navy technical stuff was the place for me. If I want to be all warm and tactical, I go to the range.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What I plan on doing is during my junior and senior year in High School, i will do the delayed entry program to get ready for boot camp. Then either join the USMC or Army. My TOE will be 4 years probably. My goal is to become a sniper, whether in the USMC or Army. After I get out of the service, I plan on joining law enforcement. Hopefully, I will join SWAT and become a SWAT sharpshooter.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not go into either one without a real contract. The Corps is great training, boot camp is damn hard, but they love to give occ field contracts where only half the jobs rock.

The army high speed SF contracts are after my time, so read them carefully. If it does not say 'this training and then this and then this job' do not sign.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a US Sailor stationed on an Amphibeous ship, so I work with a lot of Marines.  If you go USMC, you will see a lot of Navy and ride ships.  But the Marine Force Recon are among the most highly trained special forces units in the world.  Their sniper's are only second to those of Navy SEAL's.  So if your hell bent for the green, I'd go Marines.  But I think you should still consider the Navy, like Mugzilla said, you want a job you can use when you get out...you can learn that and be a SEAL at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
HAHA, SEAL? I think not!! Those guys are CRAZY!! BUDS is sooooooooo crazy. I'm sure I want to be a scout/sniper. This is not because of the media. I have always wanted to be a "surgical instrument." Can you try out for sniper in the USMC right after you complete advanced combat training? BTW- Just how much harder (Physically) is USMC boot camp than Army?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I joined the US Army last year. Cavalry Scout or 19 Delta is my MOS.

My first bit of advice is don't seem too anxious to go in. You will only screw yourself out of any kind of sign up bonus. I will only get $3k while many I went to basic with are getting $8k. Make the slippery bastards earn their quota and wait till the end of the month or better yet end of the year when they really need an extra body to meet their goal.

Have your goals but don't bit off more than you can handle right out of the gate. Finish basic and AIT first. After that you can always go to sniper school or try out for SF. You don't know what the military is really like yet so wait awhile and see what direction you want to go once you do know what your in for.

Think about the National Guard too. It's very easy to go full time once you're in, but nearly impossible the other way around.

If you want to ask any specific questions about the Army and my MOS just email me and I'll try to help. Being in the military is great. I'm proud to be serving and you'll do great.

-Mark
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Geez guys!! Thanks for all the encouragement!! Look, I WANT TO BE A SCOUT/SNIPER!!! I don't care what I have to do to become one. Any suggestions would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Geez guys!! Thanks for all the encouragement!! Look, I WANT TO BE A SCOUT/SNIPER!!! I don't care what I have to do to become one. Any suggestions would be nice.
View Quote

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl8541.htm[/url]

[url]www.usmc.mil[/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I read that most long range recon and snipers in Vietnam were the "loner types" people that
really enjoyed being out in the field alone or
with a partner, they liked to work alone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Marine force recon,the only way to go.[marines]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HAHA, SEAL? I think not!! Those guys are CRAZY!! BUDS is sooooooooo crazy. I'm sure I want to be a scout/sniper. This is not because of the media. I have always wanted to be a "surgical instrument." Can you try out for sniper in the USMC right after you complete advanced combat training? BTW- Just how much harder (Physically) is USMC boot camp than Army?
View Quote

You want to be a sniper?
Here is a quick test.  This winter, jump in a pool, then lay down.  Stay there all weekend and don't move.  Do it overwatching a freeway and count every blue BMW that comes by with three passengers.
After 48 hours, if you still want to be a sniper, you will be a good one.
How fast can you run?
That will determine, to a large degree, how much you will enjoy your experience in the high speed low drag units.
They call them high speed for a reason.
If you like it
View Quote

That is probably the best test anyone could do to see if they could hack being a sniper. Give yourself a positive SPOT report candidate!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top