Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 3:31:47 PM EDT
I'd like some opinions and websites for more info.

Here's the situation....
My son is in the 1st grade now at a Christian school.He has been using the A Beka program.We are very happy with his progress.He can read and write like a 3rd grader in public school.We have just been informed that in 2nd grade he will be going to the Pace program,which is a go at your own pace situation.

We feel that 2nd grade is much to young for this program which basically relies on your own self motivation.We just feel that at 7 yrs old a typical 2nd grader isn't going to have a lot of self motivation.We will CERTAINLY motivate him all we can but it will ultimately be up to him....a 7 yr old.

My stepdaughter was in the A Beka program(Christian school) until she was in the 9th grade then they went to Pace.She struggled at 1st with the self motivation part but ended up fine and is now in her 3rd year of college to be a teacher.

I know this sounds like a proud daddy but my son is smart as a whip.In his statewide test this year he scored in the 95 percentile in reading,spelling and math.We are just afraid a typical 7 yr old boy is not going to apply himself fully if it's left up to him.

THANK YOU for all replies.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont care for A beka at all.   i am homeschooled so i have done alot of those books.

check out this site [url]www.pacesinfo.org[/url]

its a homeschool website and it might lend a helping hand.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Greyghost,  I worked out of the ACE (Accelerated Christian Ed./Self paced program) from 1971-1979 when I graduated HS.  I feel like it did not properly prepare me for college due to two primary reasons.  First of all at the two schools I attended during this time the supervision was very poor and it allowed us to cheat by looking back through the material during test taking.  Also it was too easy to pick the answers out for the daily work routines which leads me to the second reason, I did not really learn how to study the material.  The student would just look through the material and write down the answers.  Later, when I attended college it was a huge shock when the instructor came in to class and asked if there were any questions and then gave out the assignment and left.  I had no idea how to take a text book and study the lesson and take logical notes and then to prepare a list of questions for the following class.  I am not saying that I came away from the self pace program a blithering idiot, but, a person needs little discipline to really learn from it. The student  NEEDs discipline for it  to have a chance.  Also, the text needs to be more in depth,  the booklets we had back in the '70's were far too simple to properly prepare a student for the rigors of college.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT for the day crew.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm with you, GrayGhost.  99% of most 7 year olds aren't going to have the drive to take on school at their own pace like that.  I forget what system we're about to start with our daughter, but I remember being impressed with it.  

I was a gifted/talented student throughout my school days.  I was reading on a twelth grade level in 3rd grade.  I did the ACT and SAT in 7th grade.  Competitive mathmatics and science, placing in the top 10 in state competition.  Highest test scores in my home district (beaten by my little brother who still holds the record).  So I know a little bit about accelerated learning, at least from the student point of view.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
A Beka is a great program.

We use it to homeschool our kids and are thrilled with it.

Don't know much about Pace.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]
A Beka is better than ACE, I was in seminary and one of the available courses was to get certified as an ACE administrator.

There are a lot of web sites out there that cover Home schooling, a lot of Home school material is used in Christian schools. Take an indepth look at the info out there.

dave
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife is a teacher. and thinks A Becka is the best reading program out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top