Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 2:34:28 AM EDT
Found this while I was searching for something else.  Loved this song as a kid.  Brian Wilson looks like shit..

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Pet Sounds is one of the best albums ever made.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:15:20 AM EDT
[#2]
God Damn! Mike Love has a very good voice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
They have a new guy (sitting in the back row) that does all the falsetto singing parts that Brian once did. He's very good but nobody can equal Brian's amazing falsetto singing when he was in his prime, except maybe his late brother Carl who also possessed an amazing voice.

The Beach Boys were (and remain in many ways) an amazing group with the most beautiful harmonies and arrangements I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:31:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Queue: The Wrecking Crew.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever they might have lacked in terms of stage presence they more than made up for with vocal quality....

Holy fuck that is a beautifully crafted song!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have a new guy (sitting in the back row) that does all the falsetto singing parts that Brian once did. He's very good but nobody can equal Brian's amazing falsetto singing when he was in his prime, except maybe his late brother Carl who also possessed an amazing voice.

https://youtu.be/lpd4jzKA4SA

The Beach Boys were (and remain in many ways) an amazing group with the most beautiful harmonies and arrangements I've ever heard.
View Quote

Unfortunately, the world no longer cares anything about "beautiful harmonies and arrangements".

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw them in concert, including Brian, a few years back. They still put on a great show.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
While they can still put on a good show, they aren't a patch on what they were 45 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:52:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Found this while I was searching for something else.  Loved this song as a kid.  Brian Wilson looks like shit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDAt01CuqoM
View Quote

You think any of those guys looks good?

Mike Love is a nazi.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While they can still put on a good show, they aren't a patch on what they were 45 years ago.
View Quote

No they're not, and 45 years ago is when I saw them. Come to think about, I'm not what I was 45 years ago either.    
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pet Sounds is one of the best albums ever made.
View Quote

I think Tom Petty said it was as good an album as could be made.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw them perform live at the WV State Fair in 1984 or so.

Man, they were old THEN.  And that was 32 years ago!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Thet were snobby assholes when they came through my airport. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Those were the days !
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#18]
This song was a ripoff of Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen."

Chuck sued them and won.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#19]
My dad played drums for them when their drummer was in rehab. I'll post some neat pictures when I get to the office.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]
My uncle had a surf shop that I used to hang out as a kid in the 70's. They would play Beach Boys 8-tracks nonstop. That music still brings back memories of Birdwells, airbrushed surfboards and the smell of Sex Wax. Love the Beach Boys.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I can only imagine the number of panties that dropped for these guys back in the day
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I grew up listening to The Beach Boys, among others. My sis and bro were 12 and 10 years older then me, respectively. They taught me how to do all the latest dances (60's). Even though I am completely estranged from my bro now, I still look back on those times and smile.

They sound so good together on some of those songs it almost bring tears to my eyes. Brian Wilson may be kooky but the guy is a musical genius.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can only imagine the number of panties that dropped for these guys back in the day
View Quote

Oh my, Dennis was a hottie...  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#24]
We named our second daughter Barbra Ann
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Would have loved to see Mike love burst into that weird dance deal in the op's video. Brian looks like a zombie extra on waking dead.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's probably what Charlie Mansons girls thought.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Never liked the Beach Bumbs
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Would have loved to see Mike love burst into that weird dance deal in the op's video. Brian looks like a zombie extra on waking dead.
View Quote

I noticed that at the concert I went to. He just sat behind his piano and didn't move around to much or look out at the crowd. Then Mike did the intro for the next song and Brian sang solo with the rest doing backgrounds and harmony and he still sounded great. The crowd gave him a standing ovation he did stand up and wave at that point but afterwards he went back to his zombie thing.

The guy is a musical genius but his mind isn't quite right and years of drug abuse didn't help.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Brian Wilson kept the tapes rolling when he recorded the Wrecking Crew and the Beach Boys. Many of these recordings in progress are available through the "SMiLe Sessions" and "Pet Sounds" box sets. Just incredible stuff. A guy on YouTube has created Ken Burns-esque mini documentaries for the Pet Sounds sessions called "Behind the Sounds". Some of them have been taken down, but if the Beach Boys, Capitol, et al. were wise they hire the guy to do the same for the SMiLe Sessions stuff.

Here's the home page for those videos:

YouTube - Behind The Sounds

Here's the two sessions videos he did for "God Only Knows". Oh, and keep in mind Brian Wilson was only 23 (!!!) years-old as he wrote, performed, arranged and produced it:

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Saw them 10 years ago. They could barely lift their walkers around the stage.

Felt sorry for them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Never liked the Beach Bumbs
View Quote

That's nice, dear.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I saw them back in '74 or '75 and remember thinking, "Wow, this is really going to be a blast from the past." They were good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Isn't he the only one of the original bunch left?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw them in concert, including Brian, a few years back. They still put on a great show.

Isn't he the only one of the original bunch left?

Brian, Mike, and Al are still around.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

You know, as many times as I've listened to this song over the years, that harmony at 3:20 still raises the hair on the back of my neck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:19:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This song was a ripoff of Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen."
Chuck sued them and won.  
View Quote

Chuck likes the song.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#40]
One of my favorite "behind the sounds" vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofByti7A4uM

And the album that broke Brian Wilson, finally released the way he wanted it to sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UbNwhm2EX8
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#41]
" Good Vibrations " set a benchmark in the recording industry that changed the face of mainstream music for decades.

The Beach Boys went from a regular fad band to world wide notoriety with that song and everything they recorded before and after that was tied to the success of Good Vibrations.

Hell, I even enjoy listening it today.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:46:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I saw them perform live at the WV State Fair in 1984 or so.

Man, they were old THEN.  And that was 32 years ago!
View Quote

No shit!  I saw them around the same timeframe when I was in HS.  It's funny but they don't seem so old now...  

But they were absolutely rock solid and I loved the show.  A friend of my older brothers managed the venue (Pine Knob in Michigan if anyone remembers) and used to get us passes to all the shows.

And an edit for...  Everyone likes to give Mike Love shit.  Yeah, he might not be brokering peace in the middle east in the near future, might not have written the songs and he did do what seem to be dickish things over the course of the bands run.  But if ANY band needed a decent front man it was The Beach Boys.  Without Mike they would have been just a bunch of awkward dudes with admittedly some of the greatest harmonies ever but that is not going to fill a hall or get the panties to droppin'. Also, you hang out day and night in the same office with the same guys for 50 years and there are going to be a few disputes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#43]
The movie, Love And Mercy, tells Brian Wilson's story. If you like Beach Boys music, it's worth seeing, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top