Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 12:51:20 AM EDT
The thread about throwing stuff away got me thinking about stuff I've pitched over the years.  I'm pretty sure I had every book.  I know the series is a lot older than I am, but it ranked right up there with Calvin and Hobbes when I was a kid.  Excellent reading material.

At least I managed to keep the Calvin and Hobbes stuff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.  I cant be the only loser that read these books.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're talking about Alfred Hitchcock and the three investigators, pretty sure I read every one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thread title made me flash back.

As a kid I was reading a book, can't remember the title but pretty sure it was one of the Three Investigators series. It was about a pirate on the run, hiding out in a cave with a chest full of treasure. Somehow he became trapped and died in the cave.

So I'm a kid reading this in my room at night. Turn the page, and there is an illustration of the pirate's skeleton on the ground leaning against the cave wall still wearing his pirate hat, surrounded by treasure.

That picture scared the ever living fuck out of me. Had to sleep with a night light for two weeks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I read them all as a kid.
My mom found some at a yard sale a couple years ago and have them to me but they're packing in boxes in the basement now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Loved those books as a kid.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a kid I was reading a book, can't remember the title but pretty sure it was one of the Three Investigators series. It was about a pirate on the run, hiding out in a cave with a chest full of treasure. Somehow he became trapped and died in the cave.

So I'm a kid reading this in my room at night. Turn the page, and there is an illustration of the pirate's skeleton on the ground leaning against the cave wall still wearing his pirate hat, surrounded by treasure.

That picture scared the ever living fuck out of me. Had to sleep with a night light for two weeks.

View Quote

The treasure is in Davey Jone's grasp now, and he will never let it go!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh shit, I remember those.  I don't remember how many I read, but I remember the series(somewhat).  IIRC they had a fort in a junkyard, and some sort of Robin Masters-y adult friend that would help them out and give them advice.  The portly one was named Jupiter Jones, and was the brains of the operation.

Much like the Hardy Boys, there were books where they were maybe preteens, and books where they were teenagers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh shit, I remember those.  I don't remember how many I read, but I remember the series(somewhat).  IIRC they had a fort in a junkyard, and some sort of Robin Masters-y adult friend that would help them out and give them advice.  The portly one was named Jupiter Jones, and was the brains of the operation.

Much like the Hardy Boys, there were books where they were maybe preteens, and books where they were teenagers.
View Quote

Yep.  The junkyard hideout.  I think it was an old van underneath a pile of cars.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you're talking about Alfred Hitchcock and the three investigators, pretty sure I read every one.
View Quote

I did too. They can be found at Half Price Books pretty easily.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I read every single one at the local library.  Must have been 5th or 6th grade, before I found out about girls.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Another good young boys series is Encyclopedia Brown.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#14]
They were awesome.  So were the Hardy Boys books.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This reminds me of the time I was about 7 years old, sitting in bed one night, reading a magazine (I'm sure it was The Saturday Evening Post), and I turned the page, and there was a full-page color illustration of a gigantic dinosaur-looking monster, trying to tear down this huge lighthouse.  I took about a 2-second look at the picture, and went running downstairs to my folks. It scared the crap out of me, and I damn near pissed myself. The name of the story was "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms", and they made a movie about it a few years later. I was about 9 years old when the movie came out, and my mom wouldn't let me go see it. I saw it a few years later, and it still scared the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Freakin' loved those books.  I read every one the library had, and they had a lot of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top