Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:23:27 PM EDT

Not that I am surprised anymore.

Dime for scale:

It's a phone battery.

-p.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
To be fair, if it gets punctured it will probably erupt into flames...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
They do that shit all the time now.

Honestly, they're not even worth it for half the crap anymore. Most of it can be bought offline cheaper.

Couple that with the prime shipping issues I've had the past year and I'm pretty much done with them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Honestly, they're not even worth it for half the crap anymore. Most of it can be bought offline cheaper.

Couple that with the prime shipping issues I've had the past year and I'm pretty much done with them.
View Quote

I've been mulling this as well.   My thing is that I buy a lot of books for school, and it helps to be able to get them quickly.  Luckily, I still qualify for Amazon Student, so it's half price.

Next year it will be full price I think, and I'm not sure if I'll drop the $100 for prime.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Midway does the same thing.
I ordered a set of 1911 grips and they came in a box big enough to ship a rifle in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're missing the best part.

I never have to leave the basement to get stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much par for the course. I once ordered a nylon/Velcro belt. Instead of rolling it up, they shipped it in a skinny box about three feet long.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My $100 usually pays for itself in the first two months. I can get next day shipping for free in most cases, if the order is over $35 (and it usually is). If it isn't, I get it in 2 days. Couple that with the PrimeTV and Prime music... hell. I would pay $200/ yr. Don't tell them, though.

EDIT: Case in point, I priced out a set of pads and rotors for the Merc, Tuesday, on Amazon and Rock Auto. Price was pretty close. Shipping? Rock-auto= $51.99 vs Amazon= $Free

That was one transaction. Half the price of prime. The pads arrived today, the rotors will be here Monday  

Oh and for the buy local guys? The pads were $90 and required special order. Pads on Amazon were $68
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Sportsman's guide does this sometimes too.

Package arrives,im thinking wtf did i buy.

Open it and its a small item in a huge ass box
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL  same happened to me.....ordered a phone battery....
when it came
in such big box I couldn't believe it even had

anything in it.  I shook it up and everything...not a sound.

You'd think they'd just throw that into a padded envelope

but I'm guessing that gov't regulations prevent that.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
We recieved an empty large box today that was supposed to have two orders of business checks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You can leave packaging feedback for Amazon to let them know a much smaller box would work, the computer tells the employee what size box to use before they go to get the items from the rack, they can't tell the computer the box was the wrong size IIRC.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pretty much par for the course. I once ordered a nylon/Velcro belt. Instead of rolling it up, they shipped it in a skinny box about three feet long.
View Quote
I think there's a dead snake joke in there somewhere...

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe the packer just ran out of small boxes  so they used what was at hand when they packed your order.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Standardizing their box sizes to optimize efficiency.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My $100 usually pays for itself in the first two months. I can get next day shipping for free in most cases, if the order is over $35 (and it usually is). If it isn't, I get it in 2 days. Couple that with the PrimeTV and Prime music... hell. I would pay $200/ yr. Don't tell them, though.

EDIT: Case in point, I priced out a set of pads and rotors for the Merc on Amazon and Rock Auto. Price was pretty close. Shipping? Rock-auto= $51.99 vs Amazon= $Free

That was one transaction. Half the price of prime.
View Quote
No shit. The time and fuel Amazon saves me is way more than my membership.

Derail: Someone mentioned Midway. When I got home today, I found a nice package from them. While I appreciate the prompt service, perhaps a more discrete logo on the box would help to keep every shit head on the planet with any firearm knowledge from stealing my shit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#17]
They sent me a packaging feedback request for 4 pairs of pants I ordered. I was thinking that it would be pretty difficult to fuck up packaging pants. Apparently, I was wrong and should have left them 5 stars for finding a box that was roughly the correct size.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it fail if you get what you ordered, fast?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is it fail if you get what you ordered, fast?
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is a problem.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#21]
It's not a fail. They need boxes big enough to run in their automated warehouses. A small box wouldn't move on their conveyer belts properly to get routed for shipment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I once ordered an isobutane canister and they (no shit) shipped it in a tyvek envelope.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I orderd 10 boxes of .45acp from them, they shipped them in a much larger box with no packaging whatsoever.

Every single box was busted open with loose 45 everywhere, and it had punctured some holes in the outside box. I think I got all 500rds but I didnt count every single one.

Major
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Sunglasses in a large box with no packing material and nothing in the box but a bare pair of sunglasses. Needless to say they were scratched when they arrived.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#25]
They shipped 10 small eyeglass nosepads in a 12x8x4 box.  The pads were in a small envelope about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  It probably cost more to ship them than they cost.

I wish I had a picture of this next one.  12" gong, 3/8" AR500 steel.  They 'build' a box, put two small sections of air padding in the box, as well as two small cat toys.  Two days later it shows up on my door step.  The box had obviously been busted open, as it was sealed with a lot of brown packing tape.  Cat toys were gone, air padding was flat.  

In their defense, they overnighted replacement toys.  And unless UPS would have shot the gong with a 300 Win Mag at 100 yards, there was no way to damage it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I orderd 10 boxes of .45acp from them, they shipped them in a much larger box with no packaging whatsoever.

Every single box was busted open with loose 45 everywhere, and it had punctured some holes in the outside box. I think I got all 500rds but I didnt count every single one.

Major
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Major

You don't order by the case?  I think we know who failed there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#28]
At least you got a box.

I had a wooden floor register shipped in just a padded envelope with no cardboard corner protectors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Bigger is better, tiny packages typically get beat to shit if not lost altogether.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#30]
i see you that and rais you this

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Not amazon but a while back I got a very expensive glass filter sent to me in an unpadded envelope. That wasn't even the worst part of the whole transaction. Thanks, adorama!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#32]
They probably only have a few box sizes. Maybe it's cheaper and more efficient than having a bunch of different box sizes on hand that the packer has to dig through
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]

UPS?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Standardizing their box sizes to optimize efficiency.
View Quote

this, unless it cost you more to have shipped then it's a non issue imo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#35]

I got a 5 pack of button cell batteries delivered in the same size box that is in your picture.  The size of the battery pack wasn't much bigger than a pack of chewing gum.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Got 6 freeze plugs in a box big enough to ship a V8 head in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

UPS?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

UPS?

probably, it was a pair of shocks and a front hub barring so it was a heavy box and once once i opened it the cute little air bubble bags were popped so that the hub was sliding around. there was no damage to anything just a bad out er box.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I ordered a gallon of liquid smoke and it came with no lid. They attempted to tape the top shut and then placed it inside a heavy duty green garbage bag and then put it in a box with no padding. Yep liquid smoke everywhere, the bottom of the box was getting pretty wet. The ups guy was total cool about it.

I didn't even open the package.

I set up an automated service call and explained the problem to them. They actually asked me to send it back. I started laughing and said, "you want a package that contains a gallon of liquid smoke and is leaking to originate from my house? You can't be serious."

After about 3 minutes of silence and a talk to the boss man they said that they would just credit my account, which I appreciated very much.

I was able to salvage 6 & 1/2 pints from the jug.

I still get a chuckle from that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Not Amazon, but Walmart. Placed an order on Saturday. Pantyhose for the wife. The dumbasses broke it up into 3 packages. All shipped at the same time, from the same distribution center. 2 came in the plastic mailer bags, one delivered Monday, the other on Tuesday. The last one showed up today. In a box. With the big plastic airbags.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#41]
OP, Imagine an even larger box with your item with very little packaging material.  That's what they did with a mirror I purchased through Amazon Warehouse deals.  Of course the mirror was damaged in shipping due to a table mirror (purchased as a gift for my mom) being shipped in a box 3 times too large, while the box wasn't even abused that much by UPS.  They have received my return yesterday, per tracking results.  Still waiting on the refund.

Will have to find something else for mom, when I really have no idea what to get her anymore.  Wish she'd finally give up the gift giving part, we're too damn old, should only be for the kids to enjoy receiving gifts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Had a box of sure fire Cr123 packed in a box the size of the original OP
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#43]
same box as you OP for a set of surefire ear plugs

then again I've had a rifle barrel all packed up in a tube get BENT by Fedex so.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Did the product get to you people safely?  Yeah?

Then what the heck are you complaining about?

Further, the poster who orders less than a case of ammo at a time is the true failure of this thread.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
same box as you OP for a set of surefire ear plugs

then again I've had a rifle barrel all packed up in a tube get BENT by Fedex so.....
View Quote

The amount of stupid or work that it took to make that happen is staggering.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be honest...the box was closer to 5 feet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Noice
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:00:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I received a 4oz glass bottle of Jojoba oil the other day in one of those USPS bubble wrap envelopes. Well, pieces of the bottle anyway. The oil it contained presumably went on to ruin a bunch of other people's mail. I ordered it through amazon but it wasn't sent from them. I'm not sure if that counts. Still, it's a packaging fail. It boggles my mind that someone would think to send  a fragile glass bottle all the way across the country by USPS in a bubble wrap envelope.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Local post office called a few days ago.  My Amazon shipment of 2.5 gallons of herbicide ruptured in transit and leaked all over 1/2 a pallets worth of packages.  They were kind of pissed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top