Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 7:05:07 PM EDT
Alright guys. I stupidly did the free upgrade to Windows 10 on my desktop computer. Ended up with a million popups on my browser regardless of which one (Chrome, Firefox, IE). Tried everything google said to get rid of it but most of the articles were from 2015. Then reverted back to Windows 7, problem persisted. Ran all the anti-virus crap again and it helped but didn't elimintate the issue.

What does a guy have to do to have a normal functioning computer again? As far as I can tell it's just the internet popups (a ton of new tabs and new windows open when you try to do anything) and nothing else is wrong.

I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy:
Turn the machine OFF, and go play outside.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
install AdBlock Plus on your Firefox/Chrome Browsers
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I run ad-block on Firefox, closes out about 99% of pop-ups before they open and removes the adds from YouTube videos.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

winnar
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
ABP + Ghostery
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ABP + Ghostery
View Quote

And NoScript.

Between those 3 you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Hint, use as little MS software as possible!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Other than the good recommendations mentioned above, I'll add 'Privacy Badger'.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hint, use as little MS software as possible!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Easy: Turn the machine OFF, and go play outside.
View Quote

Going shooting tonight, most of tomorrow, Saturday morning, and Sunday afternoon. If my computer don't work, how will I order reloading supplies?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tried that. It helped but did not eliminate the issue. Clearly this is a virus of some sort
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And NoScript.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ABP + Ghostery

And NoScript.

No idea what these are but I'll look into them.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Tried that. It helped but did not eliminate the issue. Clearly this is a virus of some sort
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly.

Nuke and pave, son.. nuke and pave.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Alright guys. I stupidly did the free upgrade to Windows 10 on my desktop computer. Ended up with a million popups on my browser regardless of which one (Chrome, Firefox, IE). Tried everything google said to get rid of it but most of the articles were from 2015. Then reverted back to Windows 7, problem persisted. Ran all the anti-virus crap again and it helped but didn't elimintate the issue.

What does a guy have to do to have a normal functioning computer again? As far as I can tell it's just the internet popups (a ton of new tabs and new windows open when you try to do anything) and nothing else is wrong.

I appreciate the help.
View Quote

Ya, you didn't get this from W10.
W10 is more secure than W7.

You probably should have stayed on W10 and done a fresh install since that feature is built into W10 and is very easy to use.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the help.

Good to know. Any thoughts on how to fix it? I have to go into safe mode just to download anti-virus programs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good to know. Any thoughts on how to fix it? I have to go into safe mode just to download anti-virus programs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the help.

At this point you should save anything that you HAVE to keep that is on your PC and reformat it.
The easiest thing to do would probably be to upgrade to W10 again and select the option that doesn't keep any of your files.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the help.

Time for a clean install of Win10.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And NoScript.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ABP + Ghostery

And NoScript.

+1
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Nuke, pave, install Win7.

Or Linux, if you can handle it.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Download and install these two. Restart your Windows in safe mode and run the following. This will help identify and remove any adware you might have installed.

Malwarebytes
https://www.malwarebytes.org/dl-confirm/

AdwCleaner
https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top