Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 6:27:16 PM EDT
I am trying to sell my old house but we can't close until I fix this issue.

It's been raining a lot this week and supposed to next week as well.  Closing date was extended to the 29th and all landscapers I've called say they're booked up for 2-3 weeks... Great

Any tips or suggestions on how I could fix this myself?  I've seen french drains, drywells and just cover the bitch in sand, soil and sod.

I borrowed a small pool pump and got most of the standing water out to access the situation.  The soggy trapped spot in the backyard backs up about 12-14ft from the fence and the whole distance from the fence to that side of the house.  I thought maybe the fence was acting as a dam, but it was not.

The backyard slopes down but then it plateaus in this dead spot.  After that on the other side of the fence it is still relatively flat and doesn't slope much more to damn near the cable box.

WWYD?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Fix what?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not an expert, but I had a similar issue with a house in Georgia. The fix was a French drain with the gutter downspouts feeding into the French drain.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not an expert, but I had a similar issue with a house in Georgia. The fix was a French drain with the gutter downspouts feeding into the French drain.
View Quote

Yeah I've seen that but it's definitely from more than just the one gutter offshoot on that side.  Before I pumped the area, there was 3-5" of water in that 10ftx5ft area
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah I've seen that but it's definitely from more than just the one gutter offshoot on that side.  Before I pumped the area, there was 3-5" of water in that 10ftx5ft area
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is some of it coming from the neighbor(s) behind you? The first picture makes it look like their yard slopes to your backyard.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
OP if that's as bad as it gets, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.

Warning:  I am not a certified expert on this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You need some drains on that side of the house, I can see that quality Mississippi home manufacturing has not provided you with any.

It's been raining pretty damn hard this time of year, so some of it may simply be due to the fact that you have a low-lying area in your backyard.

What I would be worried about is if there's any damage to the foundation in that area, that looks exactly like a place where water had eroded the foundation at my parents house in Mobile.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Where are you pumping the water to? Who is complaining, the buyer or the underwriters?

Maybe rent a ditch witch and cut a long trench to the gutter or wherever you are draining to and backfill it with gravel and plant grass over that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
It's possible some is coming from them, but my whole backyard has a downward slope on it and is kind of funneled to that corner which has a "divot".  But from that corner out to halfway in the front is a pretty much flat..
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of soil do you have? Clay?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where are you pumping the water to? Who is complaining, the buyer or the underwriters?

Maybe rent a ditch witch and cut a long trench to the gutter or wherever you are draining to and backfill it with gravel and plant grass over that.
View Quote

I had a hose run out to the curb to try to dry out the area.  This issue is just from the appraiser it seems like.  Until he checks off on the repairs, we can't close.  Apparently, they've known this needed to be fixed for 2 months but just decided to let me know.  

This whole house selling process has been absolutely awful because of the buyer's being stupid, buyer's agent being stupid and everything else on that side.  They were already approved and ready to close once but decided to change loan types.  From VA to FHA.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Um... dirt?  lol.

Quoted:

My realtor says just cover the area in sand, soil and sod and make it look pretty enough for the appraiser to check off.  Which may end up being the solution.. hah
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Water flows down hill.  My bet is you just need to trench through the high spots so it drains out.  If that doesn't work, rent a trenching machine, cut a 18" deep trench all the way to the curb, line it with a silt fabric, place an emitter next to the curb, and back fill it with gravel. Top it with a sod.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have a septic system?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Grade it away from the house at a 2% slope, create a swale draining at 1% (1ft drop in 100ft) whichever direction is lowest... Be aware the sewer authority.might have a problem with you doing anything (engineer required).

Correct long term/permanent solution would probably be a french drain
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Grade it away from the house at a 2% slope, create a swale draining at 1% (1ft drop in 100ft) whichever direction is lowest... Be aware the sewer authority.might have a problem with you doing anything (engineer required).

Correct long term/permanent solution would probably be a french drain
View Quote

Long term solution is I don't have the house next week.. lol  I haven't lived in it since August.

Basically that whole side of the yard is soggy, even on the front yard side of the fence.  It just doesn't stay flooded more than 1".  I think it will take a trench all the way out to the curb, but I don't want to make it look awful with my lack of skill.  Also, cable box is in the way, so it would need to be diverted around that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]
What I would have done (like a couple years ago) would be to carpet the low areas with mulch and let it decay into flat level earth.

A bit late at this point.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
French drain and have it discharge to the street.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm confused on how it terminates.  Does the end need to exit somewhere?  If the pipe slopes downward in a trench, how does water not just get backed up in the tube?  Would the water go upwards though a pop-up emitter or just be trapped and then backflow and still cause a problem?

I'd have to go under a sidewalk and then cut a hole in the curb for that.  Not sure the  city would appreciate that.. lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm confused on how it terminates.  Does the end need to exit somewhere?  If the pipe slopes downward in a trench, how does water not just get backed up in the tube?  Would the water go upwards though a pop-up emitter or just be trapped and then backflow and still cause a problem?

I'd have to go under a sidewalk and then cut a hole in the curb for that.  Not sure the  city would appreciate that.. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pipe will have holes in it and drain out while its traveling down. You need to bed it in rocks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am trying to sell my old house but we can't close until I fix this issue.

all landscapers I've called say they're booked up for 2-3 weeks... Great

WWYD?

View Quote

Offer more money.  Someone's schedule will open up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#21]
French drain made purty...
Probably the easiest thing you can do.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll give the french drain thing a try....

What do you guys think about adding this in the low spot?  12x12 basin kit
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]
You really shouldn't live so close to people...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You really shouldn't live so close to people...
View Quote

I don't, that's one issue I did fix.  This house has been empty for 8 months.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Throw some decent dirt in the low spot and over seed.

Or drain into cable box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top