Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 6:21:22 PM EDT
A lot of people in the professional world post both their direct line and their mobile line on their business cards or in their signature. Does anyone here try the direct line before they go to the cellphone? I go right to the cell. If you gave it to me, I'm going to use it. I hate when people answer at lunch or whatever just to tell me they're busy. Don't answer the phone then!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I always call their pager first.......
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I always call the desk number unless it's super urgent.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually call the fax first.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
direct line first
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Cell.  It's just about pointless to call the office anymore. I only have my cell on my card
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Nobody even bothers to call my office, they go straight for the cell.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I call the direct line unless it is time critical.

Most of my clients call me on my office phone as well however if I don't answer that it forwards to my mobile. I'm always reachable
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I fax them my nuts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends.  Some people I know are never in the office. Some things aren't urgernt so I call their office.

Personally I have my office number only on one set of cards for general people and participants in our plan. My secretary screens those calls and handles 95 percent of them.  A few HR directors, CEOs, COOs, CFOs, etc  who are good clients have my card with both numbers, and I circle my cell number when I give it to them and tell them to use that one. That way I know I handle their shit right away.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't call people. I just show up. This way you can't say no.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I go right to the cell. If you gave it to me, I'm going to use it.
View Quote

Are you one of my customers? Haha!

I only use the cellphone if it's urgent and I need to talk to someone outside of normal business hours.

I give all my customers my cell though and some are not afraid to use it.  Texting me or sending me pictures (without telling me who it is), calls at all hours.  I still give the number out though because when people need to talk I'd rather have them be able to reach me, even if it's 1am on Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#12]
While some of my colleagues - particularly the engineers - do have their cell number on their business cards, I just show the main number where we have a real human who screens calls for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Direct line AND their mobile? Those are the same thing. If i want direct, im talking get ahold of them on the shitter, in the bar, banging their girlfriend and her cousin, at their moms funeral, i call their cell.

If i want to leave a message and get a call back one day maybe, i call their office.

I dont even know how to check voicemail or call out on my office phone. The voicemail was lit up for 3 years before i put some tape over the light.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
From the other side of phone: call my office phone unless something we did is shutting your line down.  
I never answer my cell for business even if it's sitting right in front of me ringing.  If you haven't had the courtesy to call my desk phone first, be prepared to leave a message.  On the other hand, I will ALWAYS answer my desk phone.

Note: my email signature and my business card both say that the cell is the secondary number.  I have piss poor coverage on my cell where I work and that's if I'm in the front office.  If I'm in the plant, I have zero coverage.  Hence the stipulation that the cell is secondary.

And don't even think about text messaging... I pretty much ignore any work related text messages and that even applies to my boss as well.

Yeah, I'm an old curmudgeon and if work pisses me off enough, I'll fucking retire right now.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I send them an email
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
They're calling me......if they want the fucking contract.   So, FU
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
When I give out my card, I tell people to call my cell because the direct line is to the company in D.C., but I work here in California.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
In 2016, one number should reach them at all phones.  Two numbers on a business card tells me they're a dinosaur.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cell.  It's just about pointless to call the office anymore. I only have my cell on my card
View Quote

Pretty much this though I do have both numbers on my card,  I prefer people call my cell and that is what I call.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I forward the landline to my cell when I leave the office.  That said, I hate it when people call me at lunch.  I will answer because I depend on my phone for my living but...I still dislike getting business calls during the lunch or dinner hours.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Construction industry, always cell phone first.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top