Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2016 4:30:19 PM EDT
I'm liking the D/A OTFs by Microtech, especially the Combat Troodon.

I could live with a Troodon or Executive Scarab if I got it at a good price too.

I take it that Microtechs are the cat's meow when it comes to OTFs?

I see that Benchmade/HK have some too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you think Huntertown Arms has bad customer service, just wait until you meet Microtech customer support.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a cheap lightning to fuck around with to make sure I liked the OTF style before dropping $300 on a microtech. Some people like them, some dont. The benchmade ones get good reviews, but I have seen a blade snap when a guy was cutting thick zip ties (they replaced it of course) so probably bad heat treat or something.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Pro: Cool as fuck

Con: Everything else
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got a cheap lightning to fuck around with to make sure I liked the OTF style before dropping $300 on a microtech. Some people like them, some dont. The benchmade ones get good reviews, but I have seen a blade snap when a guy was cutting thick zip ties (they replaced it of course) so probably bad heat treat or something.
View Quote
I use snips when cutting zip ties at work.

It can get scary trying to use a knife to cut those bastards off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

this^

It's the most complicated and least durable type of knife you can buy, but also the coolest.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A knife is not the right tool for cutting zip ties, it's very hard on the blade.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, i bought a nice micro tech a few years back, it was really cool for a couple weeks, then I sold it.   Back to a good ole benchmade osbourne for carry.

They are neat, but that wore off quickly for me anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep, i bought a nice micro tech a few years back, it was really cool for a couple weeks, then I sold it.   Back to a good ole benchmade osbourne for carry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those.

I regret buying OTF (BM Infidel) knives. At least I sold them and broke even. Might be useful if I was in the business of stabbing people.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
this^

It's the most complicated and least durable type of knife you can buy, but also the coolest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this^

So, something like this would be better as a backup to your CCW?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will never own another OTF from Benchmade........ nothing but problems! Plus not LEO so dealer gave me crap for wanting a repair. CS was rather unpleasant.
I will say I have had an AFO from when I was in the Army and it still works perfect..
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, something like this would be better as a backup to your CCW?   https://www.topsknives.com/c-u-t-4-0

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this^

So, something like this would be better as a backup to your CCW?   https://www.topsknives.com/c-u-t-4-0

Yes, for sure. A fixed blade is infinitely better as a backup defensive weapon than a folding knife, especially an OTF.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I will never own another OTF from Benchmade........ nothing but problems! Plus not LEO so dealer gave me crap for wanting a repair. CS was rather unpleasant.

I will say I have had an AFO from when I was in the Army and it still works perfect..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an Adamas auto that still fires like a champ.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Those.

I regret buying OTF (BM Infidel) knives. At least I sold them and broke even. Might be useful if I was in the business of stabbing people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those.

This is my experience there cool if your gonna be getting into a knife fight and worthless for every other knife task there is
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those.

Even then, if I was in the business I'd want something more reliable and stronger. Probably a fixed blade of some sort.

That said I do have a couple Microtechs. While they are cool they certainly weren't my smartest purchases
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Recommend you get a Lightning OTF from Taiwan to try first.

Only OTF that has malfunctioned for me is Benchmade Infidel and getting it fixed is damn near impossible.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Double action OTF? A toy, don't trust your life on it. The blade will eventually fail to lock open when you need it.

Either conventional or single action OTF when you must rely on it.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want a "cool" knife get a nice butterfly knife (balisong) otherwise get a useful knife.  Cool knives are cool beyond that they are useless.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
the schrade one sucks ass. I bought it because I wanted to play with an OTF knife. the opener switch has to go the whole length of the handle so you have to use two hands to open it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I fire people for cutting zip ties with knives.  Many other companies will do the same thing.  I buy everyone a good pair of flush cutters so they can both cut existing ties off as well as cut new ties flush so they don't have a razor sharp edge.

Had a guy with a shitty knife putting a lot of pressure on a tie to cut it when it finally went through and he lost control of the blade and it cut through a finger severing a tendon requiring reattachment surgery.  His finger is not perfectly straight anymore.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's autos in general for me. I still have two Benchmades, but a Spyderco Endura is what I usually EDC.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#21]
They're as cool as a B-B-Q 1911, and that's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you think Huntertown Arms has bad customer service, just wait until you meet Microtech customer support.
View Quote

While researching them I read this over and over. If I buy one it will be a Benchmade/HK
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Worth it if you have the pocket change, but you aren't missing a life changing experience or anything if you dont. I edc an ultratech or daytona and have for years. They are tons of fun and very cool, but microtech CS is godawful.

Buy from thehollowgrind, they will actually support them.

I had sn infidel. I would not buy it again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought mlcrotech halo years ago.  It was awesome to play with while sitting on my couch for a few days.

Now it sits in a closet along with all the other nonsense I've purchased over the years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#25]
They are very good for having something accessible on the support side if you pocket carry an LCP or something like that.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Useless.

Assisted flipper is best.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a used Benchmade Infidel several years ago for the cool factor (and the price was right). TN has since made it legal to carry, so I've been carrying it for several months. The only issue I have had is that pennies will get in next to the blade and jam the mechanism. Other coins have not caused a problem, but I no longer carry loose pennies in my knife pocket.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Scarab plain tanto executive, edc. Fantastic box opener at work. Been carrying it for years. Glass breaker can wear a hole in back pocket, beside wallet. Probably need  to replace with one of the ball bearing type. Also need a driver bit so I can open it and clean it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a $30 Lighting to play with when WI got legal on them. Fun toy I use at work for cutting open boxes and tape,etc... I would never spend $200 plus on one...
I still carry a good relaib;
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#30]
the HK OTFs are made by Benchmade and are the best deal.

the Lightnings are cheap ( I also bought 2 to test; one never worked, the other is great).

I don't really care for OTFs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't get the hate for some OTFs on here. I carry a mini-infidel every day for the last year and a half. EVERY DAY. Not just now and then or when I am operating. And I use it every day. It hasn't broken, I have needed to re-edge it, and when it gets a little dirty I just spray CLP down in the mechanism and blow it all out and cycle it a dozen times and it snaps out good as new.
The thing looks beat to shit but it's never broken or failed one time.
I think some of the people on here use their knives wrong or something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Double action OTF? A toy, don't trust your life on it. The blade will eventually fail to lock open when you need it.

Either conventional or single action OTF when you must rely on it.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Microtech sure are proud of their Halos.
The Protech Dark Angel does look promising though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:Microtech sure are proud of their Halos. The Protech Dark Angel does look promising though.
View Quote

The key to a reliable D/A OTF is to keep it very well lubricated. But if you're carrying it, most are carried tip down, so some CLP will drain out onto your pants, and you get CLP on whatever you're cutting or opening it near.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I've carried my Ultratech for two years and have never had an issue, I still like it as the novelty never wore off especially when someone needs a knife I enjoy whipping it out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The key to a reliable D/A OTF is to keep it very well lubricated. But if you're carrying it, most are carried tip down, so some CLP will drain out onto your pants, and you get CLP on whatever you're cutting or opening it near.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Microtech sure are proud of their Halos. The Protech Dark Angel does look promising though.

Kharn

I've only wiped mine down with Kroil like once a year, I think lint/dirt buildup is the main problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#36]
If it aint a better Kabar then it ain't better than a Kabar:

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I have one, its pretty awesome.  It can be a little hard to deploy.  I can do it one handed no problem, but if my thumb has any moisture on it at all it's not happening.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Too small.

OTF's for me are a gimmick, a novelty.

I wouldn't trust my life to one compared to a regular frame lock folder.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#39]
My Combat Troodon makes me moist...  I love that OTF. BEAUTIFULLY CRAFTED
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't use my Microtech at all.  It's more of a safe queen.

The pro is that it's totally badass.  The con is that it's expensive, and I tend to not use it.

Every now and then, I take it out, actuate the blade and put it away. For me it's a toy, not a tool.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
D/E?

If I get one, I'm leaning towards D/E. Probably would go S/E for a great deal.

ETA: Found this, in OD, for $325 used, excellent condition.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT1421/microtech-142-1-combat-troodon-auto-otf-black-plain-double-edge-dagger-blade

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

D/E? If I get one, I'm leaning towards D/E. Probably would go S/E for a great deal.  

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT1421/microtech-142-1-combat-troodon-auto-otf-black-plain-double-edge-dagger-blade

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

D/E? If I get one, I'm leaning towards D/E. Probably would go S/E for a great deal.  

D/E

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#43]
How do they lock open?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I like the Scarab and Ultratech models.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#45]
It's in John Wick's " kit " !

I actually have 3 microtech's FWIW

I have a different  " kit "  for certain days .....

In one part of the movie he gets it out from a ankle holster ....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How do they lock open?
View Quote

There's spring loaded latches inside the mechanism that hold the blade open and closed
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Microtech Ultratech D/E tri-grip tactical. (Jesus, thats a long name.)

I have had it for about a year, but rarely carry it. A cool novelty for sure.

I prefer big ZT folders for everyday carry and utility use, and purpose built fixed blades for defensive use.

(ZT of choice is an 0200)
(TOPS Felony Stop for defensive use.)
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the answer you seek.

Once you get past the "Jack Bauer Cool Factor" John Wick, there is nothing the OTF knife does that a different style knife does not do better. Having said that there is one type of task that an OTF knife is best for: When you irregularly, but repeatedly have to do a quick light duty cut. Such as working in the garden looking after tomato plants and similar using twine to tie up the plants, unpacking taped boxes, where you need a quick cut and spend the next 10 or 20 minutes putting stuff away.

The only thing that is quicker for repetitive twine cuts is a ring knife.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#49]
They're fun and actually very handy for non-critical utility use.

I have a clip point Benchmade I got on closeout from DSG that I've used for a couple years in the dusty, nasty West TX oilfield.  It's been great as long as you flush it out periodically with solvent like a gun scrubber with the blade free (just fire it against something soft), flush with the blade in different positions, then re-oil with the blade in both positions, cycle it to distribute, and blow it out with compressed air and wipe the blade for a few cycles to keep it from dripping. Keeps it running fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

There are couple of design elements I'd change about the basic Emerson layout, but that WAVE thing they have is the single best way to deploy a folding knife from a pocket that the human mind has yet devised.

Having said that, I'm declaring fixed blade EDC knives to be the new hawtness
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top