Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 3:41:03 PM EDT
From what I read years ago they mined vermiculite and it really fucked up a bunch of people. The EPA eventually deemed the place a superfund. It was a interesting book.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not from there, but have been to / through it many times.

Yeah, the vermiculite was mixed with Asbestos und used everywhere. Town really hasn't recovered ever since.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Half of western Montana is Superfund site (slight exaggeration).
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, the vermiculite was mixed with Asbestos und used everywhere. Town really hasn't recovered ever since.
View Quote

They shipped that stuff to Detroit and used it for insulation around the time one of my houses were built. I think I have it in my attic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They shipped that stuff to Detroit and used it for insulation around the time one of my houses were built. I think I have it in my attic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just don't stir it up and you'll be fine.

That shit was used everywhere, we put it in our garden when I was a kid to hold moisture.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That shit was used everywhere, we put it in our garden when I was a kid to hold moisture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I read of people doing that in the book, crazy stuff. I thought I heard water dripping in my attic today and went to check it out, made me think of that book. Montana had alot of places like this ?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You can pretty much assume any house in MT older than about 40 years has Asbestos in or on it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I meant like the mine and the town of Libby, superfund sites, ect. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for replying.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I meant like the mine and the town of Libby, superfund sites, ect. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for replying.
View Quote

Anywhere there was significant mining or a smelter is contaminated. There are dead zones in rivers caused by runoff from unreclaimed mines. The only thing positive about that is it has preserved genetically pure cutthroat trout as the rainbows cannot reach them to hybridize with them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, the next one is right next to the range I'm a member at. The site of the former Columbia Falls Aluminum Co.

Butte & Anaconda are as well

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/04/11/epa-glencore-to-begin-investigating-contamination-levels-at-cfac/
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The Columbia Falls aluminum plant has been blamed for high fluoride levels in the groundwater around here for years. I don't know if there is any truth to that specific claim but I suspect the environmental cost to clean up the CFAC site will be extreme.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Columbia Falls aluminum plant has been blamed for high fluoride levels in the groundwater around here for years. I don't know if there is any truth to that specific claim but I suspect the environmental cost to clean up the CFAC site will be extreme.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Well, from knowing guys who worked there, when the EPA begins digging test holes & well like indicated in the article, they will find lot's of buried stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
and yet the real estate prices went nuts when they filmed some of the River Wild there. We used to go fish there and were looking a property and said hell no.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anywhere there was significant mining or a smelter is contaminated. There are dead zones in rivers caused by runoff from unreclaimed mines. The only thing positive about that is it has preserved genetically pure cutthroat trout as the rainbows cannot reach them to hybridize with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just did some reading on that, interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Was camped below libby dam for a couple weeks in early 90's waiting on a mining job in Troy, neighboring town.
The wastewater coming out of the mine was tested and had over limit nitrates and was shut down.

Later down the road I mined with guys from there.

At that time there wasn't any mining in Libby it self. So I just got in some fishing before being told there would be no job here. Got to enjoy 3 weeks of fishing and solving puzzles on Lucky bottle caps. LOL Nice place.

Next stop was Republic Washington, Elk season was to start before my job opening. That job had went thru I would still be there. Good people and pretty country.

By the way fish below the dam with a custom painted (rainbow) jointed Rapala and have some stout line. Theres some big trout eating silvers that have gone through the dam.

And I saw a Huge bald eagle flying over head with a big ass log I thought he was of to build a log cabin with, and then boom an Osprey swooped down and on the way by knocked the log loose from the Eagle. I was wowed.

About all I know of the place, and too long ago to remember the newspaper articles about it that I read while I was there.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Half of western Montana is Superfund site (slight exaggeration).
View Quote

Butte has it's share, I use to live near Columbus and it had a big chromium stockpile.
Next stop I hope is back to MT, maybe Butte, possibly Absarokee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top