Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2016 3:37:07 PM EDT
yes, I'm planning to buy a Polaris ranger. OR a Kawasaki mule.... those are my two choices. the ranger wins in about every category against the mule.... the mule wins by being $2500 cheaper.... the mule is a possibility.... but the ranger would be preferred, due to capability.

I only want to hear from people who actually own one, vs Polaris is the devil, / sucks etc.

I have owned 2 Polaris atv's and they were both great atv's, I had no complaints when I owned them. I also owned a Yamaha rhino 450. the rhino was pretty nice, except it was a 450, and geared really low, and was slow.  the rhino spoiled me though, being able to haul cargo, tools, and extra people, makes a side by side much, much more useful to us than a atv.

the Polaris ranger is the best buy for the money I can find...$8500.00 for a 570cc. the ONLY thing cheaper is a Kawasaki mule, 400cc for approx. $6000.00..

this will me MAINLY for my father in law to use.. hes 80 years old, and still feeding cows and doing farm chores, plus he could use it to visit neighbors and relatives who live down the road from him. .. his 2--3 Honda atv is getting worn out, and needs replacing, plus its not big enough anyway ( 350cc) . we figured this would be the best buy, as far as $$ goes, and the bang for the buck, and the capabilities it has.. large payload, ( carries 800 lbs in the bed, and tows 1500 on the hitch) .. plus be the most useful for us vs a atv... we haul grandkids around, and ride the back country roads on sunday.. plus would be used for hunting.

$8500.00 out the door, for a 2016 Polaris 570cc , 4x4 ranger.   supposed to get around 30mpg, and 45mph top speed... we don't need, nor can we afford a 800-1000cc model.  

id buy a winch for it the same day we pick it up..... also MAYBE swap out the tires for something slightly more aggressive... ESPECIALLY, if they will give me credit for the factory tires. I would not replace the wheels unless I absolutely had to. if they will give me credit / take the price of the tires off the ranger, I might possibly buy some tires offline, and have them mount them to the factory wheels when we pick it up for the max savings.

http://www.abernathycycles.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=1698076&p=3&make=polaris&s=Year&d=D&fr=xNewInventory
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]

We have 2 of them.
I've worked the crap out of them and they have held up fine.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a fan of my RZR, and my dad loves his Ranger.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

You really do have a personal vendetta with Polaris don't you?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]

pretty sure that was for rzrs... it was a fuel vent hose, that can get pinched, resulting in the fuel tank possibly over flowing.  which could cause a fire. not a issue as ill have fire and theft on my new ranger.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
We use one at work.  It's gtg.  We have an enclosed cab and it's loud as fuck inside.  Other than that, no complaints.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
for you... ranger
for him... mule

mule is easier to get in and out of for him with the flat bench seat and all

if it was going to be used in the woods more than farm use I would say ranger over the mule
if its going to be used for more work than play do this with any machine you look at
get in and out of it 10 times back to back
which one is harder to get out of?

worked with gators rhinos and mules
the rhino seats and gator seats will wear on you if your getting in and out of them for hours a day
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

pretty sure that was for rzrs... it was a fuel vent hose, that can get pinched, resulting in the fuel tank possibly over flowing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

pretty sure that was for rzrs... it was a fuel vent hose, that can get pinched, resulting in the fuel tank possibly over flowing.

Everyone I know rides polaris'

They're fine, polaris builds a fine machine. Buy new and you'll get warranty. I've never had to use my warranty.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a new, non-current 2014 Ranger 570 mid-size last spring.  So far its hauled crap around the yard, had heavy use at deer camp, and I plowed snow with it all winter.  Its back on the trailer now, leaving tomorrow afternoon for a weekend turkey hunting with my daughter.

I added a 4500# winch, quick-mount plow system, and a 60" plow, plus had the plow switch mounted on the shifter knob.  I added a rear bumper, plastic roof, and some cheapo LEDs to it for plowing and other stuff.

I love it.  Daughter just turned 14 and has learned to drive it(with me riding shotgun).  Its like having a chauffeur to the deer blind!

Buy a battery tender and keep it plugged in whenever your not using.  Accessories can put a hurting on the stock battery.  The ONLY issue I've experienced is where I ran it very short periods of time in succession while working in the garage and fouled a plug.  Talked to the dealer when I grabbed new plugs and he suggested keeping it running until the fan kicks in, as my model(maybe the 2016's too) use an enrichener setting when starting.

Its been a gret machine
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
While you can't kill a Mule it will be much rougher riding than the Ranger. Not much back suspension travel on the Mule. Straight axle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#11]
We have an older Ranger 400 full size 2x4 it is great for capacity and towing.  It has plenty of power for what we ask of it.  The model we have sucks in the mud/snow.  I assume you are getting the "Mid" size model 4x4.  I have heard good things about that engine too.  Go for it.  At the price they are asking for those it would be foolish to get another conventional 4 wheeler.

Check on your local regulations for road and trail use!  You might not legally be able to use them where you can use a smaller ATV/UTV.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
for you... ranger
for him... mule

mule is easier to get in and out of for him with the flat bench seat and all

if it was going to be used in the woods more than farm use I would say ranger over the mule
if its going to be used for more work than play do this with any machine you look at
get in and out of it 10 times back to back
which one is harder to get out of?

worked with gators rhinos and mules
the rhino seats and gator seats will wear on you if your getting in and out of them for hours a day
View Quote

this would be for hauling water to the barn for filling some water troughs..... carrying fencing and posts, and driving to the barn for putting out hay and feed in the wintertime 3x times a day.  its going to mainly be used for driving to the barn 3x a day, carrying a 275 gallon tote of water for the water troughs, and joy riding to the neighbors and relatives.  I agree with the getting in and out. the rhino was annoying as it had those half doors you had to constantly open and close...

if it was ONLY for him to use, id be leaning more towards the Kawasaki mule, as it could do anything he needs. but when we add in hauling grandkids, and 2-3 adults, we would need the larger ranger. plus ranger is approx. 2x as fast, and can haul a lot more, and is better offroad.

Kawasaki mule is still a possibility... as its quite a bit cheaper... . the ranger 570 is $8500 vs $6500 for the mule... this is the closest video I can get to compare them. the full size 570 polaris, vs the 400cc mule... the mule id buy is the newer 610 mule, but power and equipment on this mule is the pretty much the same.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Have a 2007 700XP that has been used and abused. Spent most of its life churning mud.

Replacing U-Joints and One Fuel Pump has been all thats been required.

I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#14]
There are two different Mules.  I have the Pro FXT.  It has 4 wheel independent suspension.  The ride is almost but not quite as smooth as the Ranger.  We have had all of them at our camp.  The Mule Pros have held up the best so far.  To be fair, it is a completely different machine from the Mule 4010 (or whatever the current model is).  
The electric pwr steering on the Pro is the bomb.  The air filter is in a stupid place right in front of the right rear tire.  It needs to be cleaned frequently. Mine hauls a bunch of stuff easily.  

Make sure he uses non ethanol gas exclusively.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]
We had a Polaris Ranger 900, Ranger 800, Ranger 570, and Ranger 500 in the toolroom not long ago. We make aftermarket windshields for them, including one with a washer/wiper.

We also had several Polaris RZR models here, and those got 99% of my attention. Because RZR.

For utilitarian use, the Ranger won't disappoint you.

However, our go-to machine is a Kawasaki Mule. Because it's there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Polaris, we use one on the ranch, last week we skidded an 800# hay bale 400 yards around 90 degree corners to the pen because the skid steer was down.  

I was impressed with it's ability to do that.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]
You will never have a problem with a ranger as long as you didn't do a lot of deep water driving.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]

There will be a recall for the RZR Turbo, the Ranger, and all Indian vehicles fairly soon as well.

The RZR/Ranger issue is twofold.

One is the shitty tank vent,  the other is a little more... involved.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm always amazed how smooth the Ranger is on rough terrain. Night and day difference between it and the Gator.

I actually like Can-Am a lot too never owned a Can-Am but know some who have and almost bought one a couple years ago. Comparable to the Ranger and it was alot cheaper at the time.

Have used
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a YXZ1000R Yamaha...you will thank me later.

They cost a tiny bit more, but they are faster and more respectable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy a Jeep and don't look back.   Pm me if you want me if you want more info.   Ex Polaris Factory Worker.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#22]
We have a ranger crew it runs around and does simple farm stuff just fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Buy a Jeep and don't look back.   Pm me if you want me if you want more info.   Ex Polaris Factory Worker.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's probably just salty that they moved the plant to Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a 2016 Ranger 900 XP non eps a couple months back and I really enjoy it.  Went to a 1,000 acres trail ride over the weekend, mostly avoided the water as I don't want to break anything.  It held up fine with the mud that I couldn't avoid.  I know the 570 comes in the old 800 chassis as well as the new fullsize.  I looked at the fullsize but was scared that it would be under a strain with a fullsize chassis.  The 570 is really powerful though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

did you read the OP at all? like even a little bit?

I mean I am sitting here enjoying the mental image of grandpa grabbing gears and ripping it up
but not at all what he is looking for
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 3 mules and a ranger.  I'd recommend either one
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a ranger.  It's awesome, no complaints, I can get anywhere on it that I can with a 4wheeler.  Makes getting bucks out of the timber a shitload easier than dragging them.  I'd reccomend getting the windshield though.  Fucker is fast and it helps a lot with wind in your face making it hard to see.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Ive owned a few RZRs, which is a fast oriented Ranger (same engine family / driveline)

I have owned one Mule (A diesel)

and a good friend has a gas 4 seater, he bought new about a year ago.

I wouldn't trade a half worn out Ranger for a new Mule.  No contest.  The Polaris stuff may not have been the best years ago, but today they own the SXS market.

Ive been on buku SXS rides, and consistently the Polaris stuff makes it home, and more impressively makes it through/over/under all the shit we asked of them.

90+ Degree days spent blasting mud and climbing hills in the woods makes or breaks machines.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think its so cute how people google recall info, and pin it on the manufacturer of whatever product they cant or wont afford.

Do you know how many people Ive had rag on my Humvee, RzR, Knight's rifle, Corvette, ETC ETC and all it boiled down to was jealousy 99.9% of the time
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think its so cute how people google recall info, and pin it on the manufacturer of whatever product they cant or wont afford.

Do you know how many people Ive had rag on my Humvee, RzR, Knight's rifle, Corvette, ETC ETC and all it boiled down to was jealousy 99.9% of the time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ancidotal data for thought:

Here at work, we write the diagnostic software for both Polaris, and Arctic Cat ATVs/UTVs. We have broken only one Polaris vehicle that they have sent us, and it was a PV build RZR 1k, early builds of which had an issue with the press fit of the crankshaft to the flywheel (fixed before production, of course) which could cause it to "slip" from its installed position, which is quite problematic when you have a tone wheel and a Crank Position Sensor to run the ignition system. Now, we haven't been working with Arctic Cat for nearly as long, but every single one of their ATV's and the Wildcat that they've sent us has left puddles of oil where they were parked in our lab, and in our shop...

As far as sleds go, its pretty much a wash, with an edge towards Arctic Cat due to them using Yamaha sport bike engines in their four stroke sleds.

Just my opinion, of course. I don't own any of these toys, but I do get to ride them from time to time before anybody else does.

ETA: There are more recalls on the way for Polaris and Indian vehicles...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are only marginally faster than the RZR1000/RZR1000T  

How do I know that?  I own the RZR1000, and have outran a Yamaha YXZ.  It depends on surface/day/driver.   I will say you will not outshift the belt on a RZR with a clutch and stick.  Period.

I also (same day) watched the Yamaha shit itself.  The clutch (we assume, it wouldn't move itself in any gear) failed.

Off topic anyway, and neither the RZR or YXZ are what he asked about.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me a Jeep that will do what the Ranger will do, and Ill kiss your ass.  

They wont fit in the same terrain, and if forced to try will either

a) tear the hell out of the land
b) tear the hell out of itself

They aren't the same no matter how the poor folks / craigslist bandits with a Lincoln stick welder try to sell it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 2007. It has been good to me.
I worked it to death when we owned a large piece of property.
Still use it now that our place is smaller.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How do I know that?  I own the RZR1000, and have outran a Yamaha YXZ.  It depends on surface/day/driver.   I will say you will not outshift the belt on a RZR with a clutch and stick.  Period.

I also (same day) watched the Yamaha shit itself.  The clutch (we assume, it wouldn't move itself in any gear) failed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct RZR1000T is also a good choice.

I have no idea why someone would ever buy one of those slow ass small engine things like a mule...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have no idea why someone would ever buy one of those slow ass small engine things like a mule...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For work.
Its the best thing I've ever seen for someone who doesn't do anything but haul and pull shit. We have a diesel that finally died after 10 or so years of constant hard daily work. Still runs but the hubs and shafts are stripped and its not worth the work to fix.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#37]
we've broken 2 front diffs on our ranger, they aren't designed to be used for towing in reverse
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Get the Ranger with power steering he'll love it every day
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Have quite a bit of experience with Ranger's. They are definitely a little loud but this thing has taken a beating. Great power, clearance, 4WD. Went places and over things never thought it would. This is an older one like 2009 model. Get one with power steering if it's for your Dad. Can be hard to turn without it.

ETA: Beat on the power steering.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Get the Ranger with power steering he'll love it every day
View Quote

That.

ATV's too. I was skeptical at first, but riding one made me a believer. You can turn the handlebars while parked on dry concrete with only your pinky finger.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't own a Ranger myself but several of the lease hunters do.(duck leases).
I don't own one because the hunters have way to many problems with them.
Most of the problems come from them being driven through water, up to 18" deep.
If you stay out of the water they may be OK.  
My best UTV is my Honda

Edited so it made sense
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a 2010 Ranger 800. I suggest power steering. It's treated me well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't own a Ranger myself but several of the lease hunters do.(duck leases).
I don't own one because the hunters have way to many problems with them.
Most of the problems come from them being driven through water, up to 18" deep.
If you stay out of the water they may be OK.  
My best UTV is my Honda

Edited so it made sense
View Quote

A lot of people never pull the plug on the Trans. Belt cover.
If you go through deep water pull the plug when you get home.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#44]
We have a Polaris Ranger XP.  My brothers have beat the shit out of it and it has proven to be very reliable.  I would absolutely buy a Ranger over a Mule.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I  bought a RZR Monday,  Tuesday got a call from the dealer advising me to stop driving it due to a huge recall.  Parts are backordered,  new onea cant be sold,  Polaris has quite the shitshow going on right now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Not sure why these are your only 2 choices, but just humor  youself, and drive a Can Am commander before you buy either of those compromises. You have nothing to lose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah....looking at a Yamaha myself...Viking
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#48]
For grand pa, power steering regardless of brand.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not sure why these are your only 2 choices, but just humor  youself, and drive a Can Am commander before you buy either of those compromises. You have nothing to lose.
View Quote

He said they can't afford an 800-1000.

A Cab Am Defender would be a better choice than a Commander.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I  bought a RZR Monday,  Tuesday got a call from the dealer advising me to stop driving it due to a huge recall.  Parts are backordered,  new onea cant be sold,  Polaris has quite the shitshow going on right now.
View Quote

Which one?

I can get the details of what the fix entails at work tomorrow, and you can decide if you want to drive it or not. Just don't run it hard.

Send me a PM.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top