Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2016 3:15:31 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt it was on tape. A memory card is much more likely.

Then again, the anchor is incorrect in that it wasn't "filmed" but rather recorded...

War of Drugs and all of that...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

I thought there was a cease fire or something.  How old is this video?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Good video
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Last I heard, they were in a cease fire/negotiations and trying to figure out if they would let the rebels continue to live in the jungle (as many at this point haven't ever lived in civilization).
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a pretty intense video.

Wonder who is flying the Blackhawks and Apaches?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Then again, the anchor is incorrect in that it wasn't "filmed" but rather recorded...

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Last I heard, they were in a cease fire/negotiations and trying to figure out if they would let the rebels continue to live in the jungle (as many at this point haven't ever lived in civilization).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, ok.  This was the last I had heard of it too and they've been making some headway towards a resolution..
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of the peace deal is that they have to disarm all of the landmines they've set up in the jungles. The FARC wants to become a political party like the Sandanistas but I'm not sure if they'll be able to make that transition and actually win offices.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Part of the peace deal is that they have to disarm all of the landmines they've set up in the jungles. The FARC wants to become a political party like the Sandanistas but I'm not sure if they'll be able to make that transition and actually win offices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I'd say let them at least try.  Couldn't possibly be worse than the former situation...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://shamelessmag.com/images/made/images/blog/2011/07/_resized/that-guy_340_414_90.jpg

Sorry, I was being silly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, I'd say let them at least try.  Couldn't possibly be worse than the former situation...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Colombians are a pretty conservative people and they are sick of the FARC, probably the most pro-American country in SA.  Fuck the FARC, they shouldn't be given any legitimacy for the shit they have done over the years.  They are nothing but terrorists.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool video. Colombian jungles are no joke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
They could have used some air support there at the end
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The Colombians are a pretty conservative people and they are sick of the FARC, probably the most pro-American country in SA.  Fuck the FARC, they shouldn't be given any legitimacy for the shit they have done over the years.  They are nothing but terrorists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true, though with the Columbians and Americans inability to really make a dent in FARC over the last couple of decades while spending fuck-tons of money trying, a new avenue needs to be tried.  So don't let them form a political party, have them disarm and remove the mines they've placed, and just allow them to live in the jungles.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's true, though with the Columbians and Americans inability to really make a dent in FARC over the last couple of decades while spending fuck-tons of money trying, a new avenue needs to be tried.  So don't let them form a political party, have them disarm and remove the mines they've placed, and just allow them to live in the jungles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure they have, the FARC is not near as strong as it once was, many top leaders have been killed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The other problem is the AUCs.... the right-wing paramilitary are big in the drug trade and huge on fighting the army along with the FARC. They were formed in the 1980s by the Colombian Army and the US. A lot of them are former Colombian Army.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Blackhawks and Apaches the Columbian Army. Hueys are probably DoS Air Wing

Aviator
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Needs more artillery and CAS.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagged for home
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Having a bad brain fart.. what/who is FARC?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty intense at the end.

It didn't appear like the "good guys" with the reporter were shooting back? One threw a grenade I know, but that was about it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

To the best of my knowledge, they are communist separatists who use kidnapping and narcotics to fund their cause and enrich themselves.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Marxist Leftist Fighters that started a civil war in 1964. In the 1980s, they started getting into the drug and the mid 90s were the height of their power. They've since lowered in stature and their leadership as been killed off.

The other issue is the AUCs (AutoDefense Unified Colombians). They're right wing paramilitaries that were formed at te behest of the Army to kill the Marxists. They became part ofthe cartels and have gained a lot of power.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I kept wondering if they had a mortar crew or some super tacos available.  It seemed like the farc asswipes kept the pressure up and moved fast to cut them off in groups of 4-5.  Like they had some professional training.  They had the military guys on 3 sides pretty quick like they knew what they were doing.

Pussy ass reporter wouldn't pick up the icky gun and fight back, even though he was about to be overrun and most of the shooters were down.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I kept wondering if they had a mortar crew or some super tacos available.  It seemed like the farc asswipes kept the pressure up and moved fast to cut them off in groups of 4-5.  Like they had some professional training.  They had the military guys on 3 sides pretty quick like they knew what they were doing.
Pussy ass reporter wouldn't pick up the icky gun and fight back, even though he was about to be overrun and most of the shooters were down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FARC has been professionally trained by the USSR and Cuba and then Venezuela when Chavez took over. They aren't a bunch of pig farmers out in the sticks with shotguns and pitchforks.

The journalist was stupid but smart at the same time. If he picked up the rifle, yeah, he'd be fighting back and possibly kill the fuckers. But the probability of that actually happening is low. By not picking up the rifle, the FARC wouldn't kill him. They take prisoners all the time, especially journalists and a lot of the journalists are leftists too.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldnt exactly call him a pussy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#27]
That's kinda weird.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the journalist is a neutral party. He is there to tell a story, not to shoot people. By joining in the fighting, he is picking sides and destroying any chance of surviving to share his findings.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I was never a soldier but why in the hell would the Captain split his tiny force? I mean they sent 30 guys into indian country with no QRF and little to no air support. Hell they were hardly even returning fire. I also noted no m203 40mm launchers. They seemed spread out with no real plan to follow on contact with the enemy. Sucked to be them, they were clearly overmatched, sad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

the journalist is a neutral party. He is there to tell a story, not to shoot people. By joining in the fighting, he is picking sides and destroying any chance of surviving to share his findings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already shot him.  I personally would rather pick up the rifle (he may not know how to operate it) and defend myself rather than lay there and wait for them to come finish me.  Difference in people's mentality I guess.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They already shot him.  I personally would rather pick up the rifle (he may not know how to operate it) and defend myself rather than lay there and wait for them to come finish me.  Difference in people's mentality I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't finish him off because he stayed neutral and wasn't a threat. (He spent 33 days in captivity after that)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was shot under the assumption that he was a soldier. The fact that he survived shows he made the right choice.  If you would die for a cause that is not your own, that's your choice, but IMO calling him a pussy for not throwing his life away is pretty disrespectful.

Sometimes defending yourself doesn't mean shooting.  I look at it like this: in a home invasion, my rifle protects me.  What if I am a civilian in a war zone?   My rifle does the complete opposite.  It is probably the single most dangerous thing for me to be holding because it makes me a target.  Documents, currency, a camera, subterfuge, etc. will defend me much better.  A rifle will just get me shot.

I'm not trying to troll or insult you.  But shooting back is probably the dumbest thing someone in his position could do.  This sort of shit happens to war journalists all the time.  They know damn well to stay on the sidelines.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was never a soldier but why in the hell would the Captain split his tiny force? I mean they sent 30 guys into indian country with no QRF and little to no air support. Hell they were hardly even returning fire. I also noted no m203 40mm launchers. They seemed spread out with no real plan to follow on contact with the enemy. Sucked to be them, they were clearly overmatched, sad.
View Quote

I too want to know what our resident soldiers think about their abilities.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Aviator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

Colombia does not operate Apaches. I also did not see any in the video. There was what looked like a Blackhawk with stub wings, which could easily be confused for an Apache.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He was shot under the assumption that he was a soldier. The fact that he survived shows he made the right choice.  If you would die for a cause that is not your own, that's your choice, but IMO calling him a pussy for not throwing his life away is pretty disrespectful.

Sometimes defending yourself doesn't mean shooting.  I look at it like this: in a home invasion, my rifle protects me.  What if I am a civilian in a war zone?   My rifle does the complete opposite.  It is probably the single most dangerous thing for me to be holding because it makes me a target.  Documents, currency, a camera, subterfuge, etc. will defend me much better.  A rifle will just get me shot.

I'm not trying to troll or insult you.  But shooting back is probably the dumbest thing someone in his position could do.  This sort of shit happens to war journalists all the time.  They know damn well to stay on the sidelines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not trying to insult or troll either, but what if he would have picked up the rifle and helped the squad regain the initiative and repel the attackers and turn the whole assault?  We'll never know, but you would think as a combat journalist he would go into it knowing he could be killed wether he was a combatant or not.  Nobody knows how they'll react when they're facing death, but my first instinct would be to fight back, which is I guess why I'm not a journalist.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When we did this thread the first time, most of them agreed it was a complete cluster fuck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

nerrrmind
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard to second guess the actions of the Soldiers from such a limited perspective.

It could very well be that the Captain wanted the Soldiers protecting the reporter to go to the back of the formation and try not to attract attention. By the time they realized the FARC were back there too it was a bit late.

I've worked with individual Colombian Army Officers, and all of them were very good. They were also likely among the best that Colombia has to offer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm not trying to insult or troll either, but what if he would have picked up the rifle and helped the squad regain the initiative and repel the attackers and turn the whole assault?  We'll never know, but you would think as a combat journalist he would go into it knowing he could be killed wether he was a combatant or not.  Nobody knows how they'll react when they're facing death, but my first instinct would be to fight back, which is I guess why I'm not a journalist.
View Quote
Moment he picks up that rifle he signs his own death warrant. The best he could have done if he picked it up is not kill anyone on the squad. If he picked it up, they would have killed him in two seconds and that would have been because he isn't a trained fighter. He would have stood up and exposed himself to enemy fire.

As a journalist, what kept him alive was not touching that rifle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#40]
The coordination between the squads and air support seemed non existant.

They should be conducting all these ops at night via NVG. CAS would rape with laser designators.

BWDIK
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The coordination between the squads and air support seemed non existant.
They should be conducting all these ops at night via NVG. CAS would rape with laser designators.

BWDIK

View Quote
I believe it was done during the day because of the journalist. To my knowledge, Colombian Army and National Police operate at night very well. They learned a lot from 7th Group SF.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because the FARC would just be chilling and not fighting, if not for the WoD?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Hard to see the whole picture but they didn't seem ready for that fight.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#44]
As long as the crack heads don't get they crack, it's all worth it!!

Wait wat? Crack is still available on every corner?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As long as the crack heads don't get they crack, it's all worth it!!

Wait wat? Crack is still available on every corner?

View Quote

Every corner huh?  You must live in the ghetto.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

When we did this thread the first time, most of them agreed it was a complete cluster fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have the link perchance?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, no I don't.  It was a few years ago IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Good video,thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I see corn and squash the only "lab" I saw was a dog.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#50]
As just a lowly 11b national guardsman, it seemed to me to be very centralized. Hoping higher would tell them what to do. There seemed to be no clear definition of what they should do upon contact, no fire support teams, maneuver element etc. no plan for actions on contact. If they had stayed together, implement battle plan 1 or 1a.
Find, fix, communicate, maneuver
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top