Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2016 2:53:50 PM EDT
I see tards listing 'Adobe PDF' or shit like that as a skill because they opened a pdf attachment once.

Why try to 'inflate' your skill set there?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It's like unlocking achievements, man!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it aid in getting you on a list when people are searching?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#3]
They probably just wanted to up their post count
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If it sounds stupid, but gets you noticed by a search engine or bot, where otherwise you wouldn't be seen, it isn't stupid.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I see it as a self-regulating issue. If I'm looking for a colleague with expertise in a certain area, and I see a bunch of softball "skills", I'll move along.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I see tards listing 'Adobe PDF' or shit like that as a skill because they opened a pdf attachment once.

View Quote

Why not?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what schools are teaching kids these days.

My ex-wife did it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a resume once that had the person knew how to use google search.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
What is funny is recommending your friends for silly skills especially if they then mistakenly add them, I have one friend who is an engineer and has the skill of "long term sickness" on his profile as he was recommended for it and then added it by mistake and cannot work out how to remove it but then again he is an apps engineer
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Im proficient in the F5 key.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's like unlocking achievements, man!
View Quote

Pokemon.. gotta catch 'em all!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]
You know, like numchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You know, like numchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!
View Quote

Tina come eat your dinner you fat cow

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

people keep endorsing me for stuff - most of it is legit, but I have to laugh because I'm sure a couple people don't even know what they are endorsing me for...lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Say what you will but as a programmer having strong Google Fu skills is almost a requirement anymore.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Say what you will but as a programmer having strong Google Fu skills is almost a requirement anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Job was for a structural engineer.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
You'd be surprised how many people can't find stuff on google easily because they don't know how it all works, and what it looks for and how.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I created a profile on recommendation to avoid someone else making a fake one about me.

Then all these people from my past started recommending me for all kinds of skills - all legit, but unsolicited.  What do they have to gain from that?  A couple were even people I fired, or parted with a burning bridge left behind.

I also get these "want to communicate with you" notifications from potential or past clients who never communicate when I accept their invite.

I really don't understand, and I wish there was a place I could write something that says "profile created by the real guy, to avoid ID theft, but never visits this place - just like my dormant Facebook account"
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I created a profile on recommendation to avoid someone else making a fake one about me.

Then all these people from my past started recommending me for all kinds of skills - all legit, but unsolicited.  What do they have to gain from that?  A couple were even people I fired, or parted with a burning bridge left behind.

I also get these "want to communicate with you" notifications from potential or past clients who never communicate when I accept their invite.

I really don't understand, and I wish there was a place I could write something that says "profile created by the real guy, to avoid ID theft, but never visits this place - just like my dormant Facebook account"
View Quote
It's called "networking", it's what people do to pool resources to later draw on.  The trick is, it only makes sense if you understand the value of knowing people. If not, then it might not ever make sense.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

They want you to recommend them for skills too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I have people endorsing me for shit I dont have a clue about.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have people endorsing me for shit I dont have a clue about.
View Quote

Me too, they are hoping you endorse them back.

I don't play those games.

Endorsing on linkedin is like everyone gets a trophy for figuring out how to setup an account there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#26]
The cycle of ineptitude. The reason for this is that there are job postings from corporate employers and idiot recruiters who search for skills. It's like personal search engine optimization for people who haven't been discovered or are trying to just get picked up for anything.

Some industries, like aviation, are pretty straightforward. I see resumes stuck to the door of our flight department every so often. You take it, read through it, and make a quick determination as to whether the person could be of use, you either give it to someone else who might be able to use them or you throw it away. Others, like generally unskilled office workers may have some value if they know how to use formulas or write macros in Excel. With PDFs, there are things like signing, creation, et cetera that, believe it or not, the general middle-aged cubical worker is not capable of. As a developer, you would not believe the shit that I get asked to help with when working in office environments. i used to think the women were asking because they just wanted my attention, but over time I realized that it was that they really were unable to understand the simplest things with software.

I had an epiphany years ago related to this and that is that there is a large number of computer users who cannot distinguish between a web page for data entry and an application running on their own computer. The distinction to me between a rich web app like GMail vs. a desktop application like Outlook was so obvious that I wouldn't even think that others were unable to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I know why they do it.

Fortune 500 companies have 'bots' that scan the web for candidates.

What does 'Adobe PDF' skill even mean?

That you can open up the source code of the file and parse it like I have done before?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I only put real life skills I've acquired on mine most of them from the fire department. EMT blah blah blah people skills and what not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You'd be surprised how many people can't find stuff on google easily because they don't know how it all works, and what it looks for and how.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

google my son jason
google my son jason's facebook page

goddamnit
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

google my son jason

goddamnit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

google my son jason

goddamnit

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's like facebook friends (seeing how many you can get (my grandfather has 5,000)

And doing the same at job interviews to make more in wages.

People are stupid.

What is linked in?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

google my son jason

goddamnit

http://websurdity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/20120303-113356.jpg

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

google my son jason

goddamnit

http://websurdity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/20120303-113356.jpg

The joke is on Stephen. It looks like his Dad got his answer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well then they were already out front of about half of GD posters.  Google and YouTube get the job done.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Want to get some phone calls? Put yourself down for Access.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Im proficient in the F5 key.
View Quote

Same here, very proficient.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone with common sense picks up immediately that they are just padding a weak skill set.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's like facebook friends (seeing how many you can get (my grandfather has 5,000)
View Quote

Your fault, bro.  Should've gone to his cookout.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't have much going on with my profile but made one in case I find myself out of work.

What's weird is people I'm friends with in real life but not in my industry want to "connect"  Ok fine, but then they start trying to endorse me for all kinds of construction shit and I'm thinking "you work in HR, what the fuck would you know about my knowledge of concrete"

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I don't have much going on with my profile but made one in case I find myself out of work.

What's weird is people I'm friends with in real life but not in my industry want to "connect"  Ok fine, but then they start trying to endorse me for all kinds of construction shit and I'm thinking "you work in HR, what the fuck would you know about my knowledge of concrete"

View Quote
That it's solid.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got mad skillz...dont be jelly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd like to see the OP's LinkedIn acct, you know, since he makes so much more than everyone else. I'm sure his is an example as to how they should all be for absolute success.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'd like to see the OP's LinkedIn acct, you know, since he makes so much more than everyone else. I'm sure his is an example as to how they should all be for absolute success.
View Quote

Unix/C programmer starting in 1987

Worked on Wall St for Salomon Brothers and Bear Sterns in the 90s.

Doing Java / Websphere stuff now as an old man.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you made as much as you claim, you wouldn't have to work as a old man. You'd be retired and posting more.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you made as much as you claim, you wouldn't have to work as a old man. You'd be retired and posting more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could I possibly post more than I do now?

I know my post count isn't 6 digits, but come on, I do have other forums I post on other than here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My ex-wife did it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ex-wife did it.

Thats no shit fact too.

I remember having a class to build resumes. Half the shit they wanted me to include on my resume didnt even apply to the field I was interested in at that time.

I was like WTF, they said it makes me look more desireable. No putting that I have experience in Microsoft Word is absolutely stupid, anyone has experience there if theyve used a computer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I know my post count isn't 6 digits, but come on, I do have other forums I post on other than here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think members brass and others will vouch for my tech skills, I get bored easy and don't stick with many interests for long, but when I do, I perform magic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thats no shit fact too.

I remember having a class to build resumes. Half the shit they wanted me to include on my resume didnt even apply to the field I was interested in at that time.

I was like WTF, they said it makes me look more desireable. No putting that I have experience in Microsoft Word is absolutely stupid, anyone has experience there if theyve used a computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ex-wife did it.

Thats no shit fact too.

I have ten-key skills bro. TEN KEY.

I am adequate with MICROSOFT OFFICE SUITE and WORD PROCESSING

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That it's solid.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That it's solid.    

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#50]
It made you notice them, so it worked.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top