Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2016 1:59:02 PM EDT
Putting together a new ultralight rig for perch and bluegill and having serious line twist issues. I'm getting no more than a few feet spooled and the line is twisting around itself and the rod tip. I've got the spool of line nailed to a beam with the wide part facing my rod tip. I've tried flipping it to run off the right and the left and it still twists.

The rod is a Shakespeare Micro 4.5', the reel is a Zebco Micro 33 triggerspin and the line is Spiderwire floro 6lb. I've never had line twist issues and I've spooled this reel twice before and it went smoothly. I thought maybe it was the line since I'd never used floro it before but I've tried a couple monos I had with the same results.

The only other variable is the rod. Is it possible for a certain rod to cause line twist?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never used spiderwire, but is it new or been sitting around for awhile? That's all I got.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Have your wife or kid put a pencil or something through the hole and have them stand there while you spool it. If it's really bad I'll put a swivel on and walk it out and let it un twist. Maybe there's a better way, that just works for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have your wife or kid put a pencil or something through the hole and have them stand there while you spool it. If it's really bad I'll put a swivel on and walk it out and let it un twist. Maybe there's a better way, that just works for me.
View Quote
Bingo.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes you have to stretch the hell out of flouro. I wont use it for main line. Leader only
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not the rod. Likely it twisted when you spooled up.
You need to flip the bale and pull all the line off the spool-across the yard around a tree, etc. Have a kid? they're great for this.
Them simply pinch the line between your thumb and index finger and reel the line back in with a modicum of pressure.
Problem solved
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Lay the spool flat. Every 20' or so, drop the rod tip. If twist occurs, flip the spool over.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sometimes you have to stretch the hell out of flouro. I wont use it for main line. Leader only
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Pinching the line between a couple pieces of rubber while spooling it will take out the twist. I used to use one of those old thin rubber jar opening pads. Dunno if they make those anymore.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You may have put the line on backwards or it's old.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Put the spool in the cardboard box it came in. Punch a hole in the top of the box and run the line out of the box, through your eyelets, and on to your reel. Reel and fill the spool standing up, the box will flip/jump around around whenever it hits a memory spot. It will go on perfectly straight. Also, make sure you don't overspool.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Put the spool in the cardboard box it came in. Punch a hole in the top of the box and run the line out of the box, through your eyelets, and on to your reel. Reel and fill the spool standing up, the box will flip/jump around around whenever it hits a memory spot. It will go on perfectly straight. Also, make sure you don't overspool.
View Quote

Neat trick!  I broke down and bought a Berkley spooling station.  Money well spent, very easy and has a motorized line stripper.

I've had bad line before.  Got some 12 pound fluoro and it broke when I tightened knot firmly.  It was performing like 4 LB line.  I would have lost plenty of fish that day if I hadn't figured it out so soon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#12]
i went to all spectra... never a issue since.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Flourocarbon has a lot of memory, the way you are spooling is going against it. I only use fluorocarbon for a leader and have to stretch it through my gloved hands several times to get it straight.

The best way to spool a reel like you have, similar to an open face, is to lay the spool on the floor and let the line come off the spool counterclockwise (flip it over if it comes off clockwise) while holding tension on the line between your fingers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Load the reel with braid.  Save your fluoro for leaders.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lay the spool flat. Every 20' or so, drop the rod tip. If twist occurs, flip the spool over.
View Quote

Someone has spooled a reel before.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is correct.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
As stated in the OP, it's not the line. After the floro I tried two different kinds of mono with same results.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Too much memory in your line for a little ultralight's spool.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As stated in the OP, it's not the line. After the floro I tried two different kinds of mono with same results.
View Quote

How old is the line?  Even buying from the store it can be very old and have memory issues.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I do.

BUT.

To avoid twist I hold the spool with a pencil and let it rotate out as I wind the line in.... Use some manual drag on the pencil-spool so you can have a tight wind.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I never liked using fluorocarbon as my line. If I'm dropshotting or finesse fishing I'll use a flouro leader but my spinners are always full of mono. My baitcasters use braid.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same technique will yield the same results. The proper technique has been posted here by a few of us.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is what I do.  

BUT.

To avoid twist I hold the spool with a pencil and let it rotate out as I wind the line in.... Use some manual drag on the pencil-spool so you can have a tight wind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what I do.  

BUT.

I've got it on a nail for the same purpose. I've never had this much twist issue using that method.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Same technique will yield the same results. The proper technique has been posted here by a few of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've spooled 5 other reels this week using he same technique with zero problems.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I never liked using fluorocarbon as my line. If I'm dropshotting or finesse fishing I'll use a flouro leader but my spinners are always full of mono. My baitcasters use braid.
View Quote

I was only using the floro on this rig becuase I wanted to try in a local stream that's very clear and max 3' deep.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]
With fresh line, I tend to rip tgrvlone all off and on a few times to get the memory off it .  often times UL reels have small tight spools which tends to wind the line very tight.  This will cause twist.  Line types also are a factor and I tend to have less twisting issues with braid.  You also might have a crap real which wouldn't help either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Plus use a wet paper cloth on the line right before the spool. I don't know if it cools down the line or what but it works really well. When you're finished spooling wring out the wet cloth onto the fresh spool of line.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a few.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Small bucket of HOT water. Set the new spool of line in the water, it will float.

Make sure that the unspooling line travels the same way rotationally as the bail or line winder is moving.

Let the flouro or mono relax in the hot water several minutes before starting.

Use a moistened cloth to lightly keep pressure on the line as it goes on to the spool.

Profit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#32]
If you're close to an Academy, take it in & buy line there.  They'll put it on for free.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Also, 6 lb flurocarbon on a small diameter spool will give you fits.

I would suggest clear 4 lb PLine CXX.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Also when you cast and reel don't flip the bail over by cranking the handle. Doing this puts a quarter twist in your line every time you do. Use your hand to flip the bail over.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Also when you cast and reel don't flip the bail over by cranking the handle. Doing this puts a quarter twist in your line every time you do. Use your hand to flip the bail over.  
View Quote

Winding against the drag will twist up line an open face too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#36]
in the same exact boat... so to speak
I think its something to do with these micro reels

I have one setup to toss a toy in the back yard for my dog to exercise and for me to practice
and two more for me and my wife to fish perch with
doesn't matter if its fish or the dog after about 10 "catches" line starts twisting like crazy on all of them
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

On an open face spinning reel?
I get terrible line twist with Spectra.
2 trips out and I have to pull all the line off the spool as above and take the twist out
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

2 trips out and I have to pull all the line off the spool as above and take the twist out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This: drag it behind the boat.
Wat? No boat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#39]
On further examination, it's most certainly the reel. I finally just loaded a few yards to experiment with. With the drag set at halfway it won't pick a 3/4 oz casting plug up off the floor without engaging the drag.

ETA: I'm guessing the fight with the 7 lb drum I caught on Crappie fishing Sunday must have stripped the little reel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was only using the floro on this rig becuase I wanted to try in a local stream that's very clear and max 3' deep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then use a rod length fluorocarbon leaDer tied to normal mono or 4lb crystal fireline braid with a blood knot or something similar .  In such shallow clear water the fish will spook from your presence before you even cast a bait more times than not so worrying/dealing with fluorocarbon is kind of the least of your problems.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
On further examination, it's most certainly the reel. I finally just loaded a few yards to experiment with. With the drag set at halfway it won't pick a 3/4 oz casting plug up off the floor without engaging the drag.

ETA: I'm guessing the fight with the 7 lb drum I caught on Crappie fishing Sunday must have stripped the little reel.
View Quote

Oops.  Guess I should have finished reading before posting my 2 cents.  If by "drum" you mean what we call up here and "sheephead" then yeah, it probably was A) a fun fight, and B) smoked that little reel.  I had a sheephead about that size destroy the guts on a Diawa Sealine 17 series line counter before.   Man do I hate those things lol...get in the way of my walleye.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have one setup to toss a toy in the back yard for my dog to exercise and for me to practice
doesn't matter if its fish or the dog after about 10 "catches" line starts twisting like crazy on all of them
View Quote

I thought the same thing so I have bought some new larger reels.  I still have problems like crazy, it doesn't matter if I stretch the line, run it through my fingers, have the store put it on I always have twist and I've tried several different brands of line, checked the dates both mono and fluro and still have crazy twist.  I have not tried the swivel trick though.  I'll give that a shot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I thought the same thing so I have bought some new larger reels.  I still have problems like crazy, it doesn't matter if I stretch the line, run it through my fingers, have the store put it on I always have twist and I've tried several different brands of line, checked the dates both mono and fluro and still have crazy twist.  I have not tried the swivel trick though.  I'll give that a shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've all been there.   Spool up a new open faced casting reel, call it good, then on the 1st or 2nd cast find either line pouring out or rats nest city.  Good times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I went to a sports dinner the other night and the guide said he has been using braided line for a decade now and it does not do that.
I recall my dad buying zebco 202 and rods and taking all 6 kids fishing in the 70s.
I got his old steel rod with open reel and braided line from the 50s.  Sister sold it at garage sale probably for a buck or two when I was not around.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We've all been there.   Spool up a new open faced casting reel, call it good, then on the 1st or 2nd cast find either line pouring out or rats nest city.  Good times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don't know what makes line jump off the spool in a big slinky just by opening the bail.

That's why I only use baitcasters
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I still don't know what makes line jump off the spool in a big slinky just by opening the bail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've recently gone to using mostly triggerspin reels based on the recommendation from another member here. Hangs under the reel so it's very balanced like a spinner but without all the finicky high maintenance crap. My rods get drug around through the woods and crammed under the deck of my sit in river kayak. I don't have time or the patience for babying my gear and dicking around with stuff constantly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I like Berkley Trilene XL 6lb for small spinners.  And I've filled thousands of reels.

Take the spool off when you fill it.  Chuck it into your drill and wind the line straight off the new spool.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Do the spool flip
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#49]
The drags aren't hard to replace.  ARFCOM of reels
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've recently gone to using mostly triggerspin reels based on the recommendation from another member here. Hangs under the reel so it's very balanced like a spinner but without all the finicky high maintenance crap. My rods get drug around through the woods and crammed under the deck of my sit in river kayak. I don't have time or the patience for babying my gear and dicking around with stuff constantly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense, but I've never seen a triggerspin that wasn't junk.  I bought one for my wife a few years ago.  After three trips I tossed it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top