Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 12:44:20 PM EDT
It looks like the hospital has set up a fund to allow more of them to get transplants.

[url]http://www.ajc.com/health/content/shared/health/ap/ap_story.html/Health/AP.V6017.AP-Transplant-Erro.html[/url]

Duke to Create $4M Fund for Error Victim

DURHAM, N.C. (AP)--Three months after Jesica Santillan's botched heart-lung transplant, Duke University Hospital announced a $4 million fund in her memory Thursday to help families of other young Hispanic patients.

``Jesica's sad outcome profoundly affected all of us at Duke,'' said Dr. Ralph Snyderman, head of Duke's health system. ``It is especially appropriate that Duke Hospital create a significant fund that will help keep Jesica's memory alive forever.''

Santillan, a 17-year-old smuggled across the border from Mexico in hopes of receiving better medical care, died Feb. 22 after a second heart-lung transplant. The first transplant involved organs of the wrong blood type.

Procedural errors at have been blamed for the mistake. Duke officials have said the transplant surgeon also wrongly assumed that the donated organs for the first transplant matched Jesica's blood type.

The fund will help provide support services such as temporary housing, food and interpreters to families of young Hispanic patients at the hospital.

Snyderman said concerns about possible legal action didn't drive creation of the fund. ``We have not discussed this with attorneys,'' he said.

Duke University President Nan Keohane and several clergy members met with Santillan's mother last month to discuss a way to honor the teenager. Her mother endorsed the fund's creation, according to Duke.

``This is a wonderful idea because members of the Latino community face special cultural and language barriers,'' Armando Ortiz-Rocha with the Mexican consul in North Carolina. ``The government of Mexico considers the creation of this fund as a major step in paying tribute to Jesica's memory.''
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just thinking about this last night. Since the war had driven it off the news radar.
Rather disappointed to hear that once again it was left to the civil courts, and the State AG didn't prosecute those SOBs for this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
How about the American citizens that could have received that heart and lung (both sets)?  Where's their fund?

Yeah, it's sad when anyone dies, but I'm sure other folks died while waiting for organ transplants while this whole fiasco was playing out.

Call me a cold hearted bastard, but I'd have dropped them right at the border and let them walk to the nearest Mexican hospital.  Maybe someday the whole world will have a decent health care system, but right now, ours is screwed up enough already, and enough of OUR citizen's are dying and living without health care to allow 'freebies' to whoever wins the 'border crossing lottery.'
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Call me a cold hearted bastard, but I'd have dropped them right at the border and let them walk to the nearest Mexican hospital.
View Quote

Can't do that because their families will turn around and sue if something happens to them [:(!]

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=185630&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How about the American citizens that could have received that heart and lung (both sets)?  Where's their fund?

Yeah, it's sad when anyone dies, but I'm sure other folks died while waiting for organ transplants while this whole fiasco was playing out.

Call me a cold hearted bastard, but I'd have dropped them right at the border and let them walk to the nearest Mexican hospital.  Maybe someday the whole world will have a decent health care system, but right now, ours is screwed up enough already, and enough of OUR citizen's are dying and living without health care to allow 'freebies' to whoever wins the 'border crossing lottery.'
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Call me a cold hearted bastard, but I'd have dropped them right at the border and let them walk to the nearest Mexican hospital.
View Quote

Can't do that because their families will turn around and sue if something happens to them [:(!]

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=185630&w=searchPop[/url]
View Quote

I'm not convinced that wasn't the purpose of this whole exercise. Our f***ed-up legal system is famous around the globe.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgive my memory if I am wrong, but I recall that her family would not allow her organs to go to any Americans when she died.

Correct?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Surely you mean USA citizens.  America includes: North America, Central America, South America.  There are many contries in the Americas.

But back to the topic- I hate it when Mexican doctors turn away their own at their hospitals, and then the ambulance drives across the USA border to get FREE health care and better facilities.

Quoted:
Forgive my memory if I am wrong, but I recall that her family would not allow her organs to go to any Americans when she died.

Correct?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, not only is this type foreigner smuggled in, but pregnant women are also brought in to bear their young in LA county hospitals. It's free, and instant citizenship for the kid, so naturally, the woman can stay too, and the taxpayer can support them both....
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
They should have just shot her.

Preferably with a Bushmaster.

Then they could have 1) Passed more laws banning 'assault weapons' (for the children); 2) Sued Bushmaster for $100 million for negligence; and 3) used that money to set up a megamillion-dollar fund to welcome more poor undocumented migrants to our welfare rolls.

They missed their chance at a PR trifecta!

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly
View Quote

You can add me to list of folks in agreement with HKocher's statement.  I'm sick and tired of funds and organizations set up to elevate one group at the expense of another, based on skin color.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
"And they brought young children to Him, that He should touch them: and His disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, He was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God"
(Mark 10:13-14).

She was a child and she is gone. She should be allowed to rest in peace.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree 100%.  Sorry if that come across "bad" but the whole thing just makes me MAD.

If I was in need of a transplant, I'd have to wait....If I had no insurance, guess what, I'd be SHIT out of luck!!!  Pony up the cash or no help...and if they would help me, I'd have to pay and go bankrupt....

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a problem when an American hospital sets up a fund for transplants for people who are NOT U.S. citizens,  when that same fund could be used to fulfil the needs of U.S. citizens first.

You take care of your own. THEN you take care of your neighbors.

My attitude:  Not a penny for food, shelter, education, or medical aid to any foreigners until we have taken care of the hungry, homeless, sick, and uneducated people in our own country.

It's beyond doubt that we could do that, if it became a priority, and still be able to afford to help others in other countries,  but we should be helping our own people FIRST.

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top