Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard any of those arguments before, most of them seem pretty obviously false to me but maybe others like to get into it.  However, it is a known fact that Christianity was heavily modified a couple hundred years later by the Romans to coincide better with Pagan rituals and make for an easier conversion of Europe.  Ie:  Christmas and Easter moved to the Solstices.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]
And we're off to the races. Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. End of subject and race over.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And we're off to the races. Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. End of subject and race over.
View Quote

According to his followers.
Muslims feel just as strongly about Mohammed to the point they kill people over cartoons.
Every faith throughout history has had its devout believers who will only accept their faith as the one true faith.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amen
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, that's like, it, then.  There will never be another discussion about this or any other religious or faith related topic here, ever.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to everyone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Amen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen

If God can have a son, then why not many?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#9]
This thread will result in a very productive discussion devoid of any insults, warnings or bans.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#11]
What a credible and non biased website to prove the existence of Jesus.

Also on the website:

Red Moon Rapture

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#12]
"The Zeitgeist film makes a number of wild statements..."

Boy you can say that again. Also, I think that's as far as I need to read.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Seems to be 'false flag' arguments, misrepresenting the other side.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does that mean?

Isaac was the only begotten son of Abraham . . but he had other son's. I think Ishmael was even born first.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#16]
All religion is poppy cock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What does that mean?

Isaac was the only begotten son of Abraham . . but he had other son's. I think Ishmael was even born first.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that mean?

It means he is he special and obedient, like Isaac and Jepthah's daughter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Except Jesus was a real,  historical man.   Documents outside of the Bible prove his existence.  

And He  actually was crucified.  

He actually rose from the dead.  

That is the difference between Him and the other false prophets and gods.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Except Jesus was a real,  historical man.   Documents outside of the Bible prove his existence.  

View Quote

Cite the documents please, and the recorded history (outside of the bible, we want actual recorded history) about his life, miracles and crucifixion
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Um, no
The Roman historians account is not factual.
It's not like there was live reporting and news articles supporting his actions.
You'd think that if all of these "miracles" were being performed in front of thousands that some sort of third party reporting would have survived.
It didn't.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that a fact? Because I have some facts for you, too

Odin actually sacrificed himself  and hung from the Tree for three nights times three.

Odin actually had his rib cage pierced by a spear.

Odin actually did it first.

And do you see any ice giants around ?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm glad that got settled so early in the thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Odin actually sacrificed himself  and hung from the Tree for three nights times three.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in AZ. They all melted.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

His body was found missing from his tomb.  

View Quote

There - I fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is actually a pretty good example of the problem at hand. Speaking from a scholarly perspective (NOT a religious one) there are often common themes in any religion. Death and rebirth, transformation through death, the fundamental flaws of humanity and how to resolve them etc etc etc. Further, Christian missionaries would often take local religion and weave those elements into it in a sort of "you like your religion, you can keep your religion!" kind of thing.

But no one in this thread gives a shit so w/e.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, that's like, it, then.  There will never be another discussion about this or any other religious or faith related topic here, ever.
View Quote

I have to say, the thing I find most interesting about debates over religion, is how people can argue with such certainty over things that are, of their very nature, unknowable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have to say, the thing I find most interesting about debates over religion, is how people can argue with such certainty over things that are, of their very nature, unknowable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But..the pages in a heavily edited book TOLD them so!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cite the documents please, and the recorded history (outside of the bible, we want actual recorded history) about his life, miracles and crucifixion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you read the books of Josephus?  They are hard to read, there are some abbreviations out there.  He was a Jewish historian from the timeframe directly after the life of Christ, he does a good job of giving background of people and groups.  

There are also extensive roman histories.  For crying out loud, half of the New Testament is simply letters written about current events of the time, why are those tossed out?  They were important enough that Constatine decided they should be aggregated into a book for all Christians, known as the Bible.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Um, no
It's not like there was live reporting and news articles supporting his actions.
You'd think that if all of these "miracles" were being performed in front of thousands that some sort of third party reporting would have survived.
It didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, no
It didn't.

Historians do not doubt the existence of a historical Jesus of Nazareth. Historians also do not consider the works of Josephus and Tacitus to be "not factual".

That doesn't mean historians believe he was the son of god or performed miracles and whatnot, just that he existed as a religious leader in 1st century Palestine and was executed by the Romans. Which, on it's own, isn't at all out of the ordinary for the time and place (even claiming to be the Messiah, lots of folks did that). From those sources we also know that John the Baptist was a guy who was executed by Herod, and that Pilate was a guy (some people also claimed Pilate didn't exist either up until 1961, despite appearing in many of the same sources) who was also kind of a dick (which gets him fired).

Also, lots of events in ancient history are known by very few or single surviving primary (or secondary) sources. It's quite common and something historians just deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is actually a pretty good example of the problem at hand. Speaking from a scholarly perspective (NOT a religious one) there are often common themes in any religion. Death and rebirth, transformation through death, the fundamental flaws of humanity and how to resolve them etc etc etc. Further, Christian missionaries would often take local religion and weave those elements into it in a sort of "you like your religion, you can keep your religion!" kind of thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said Rex.  I don't think it's fair to say that just because Odin did it in myth means Christ didn't do it, or that he was a simple construct of men wanting a new religion.  Was the story of Odin originally a rip-off of the prophecies of Christ?  There is a TON of overlap, but which is the chicken and which is the egg?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well said Rex.  I don't think it's fair to say that just because Odin did it in myth means Christ didn't do it, or that he was a simple construct of men wanting a new religion.  Was the story of Odin originally a rip-off of the prophecies of Christ?  There is a TON of overlap, but which is the chicken and which is the egg?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you be sure Jesus isn't the son of Odin
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He can I guess.  If a culture had been taught the same religion as Israel but used their own names, the change is pretty easy.  Look at the foundation of the Catholic Church, there was a struggling christian religion that was suddenly endorsed and supported by one fo the most powerful men in the world (Constantine).  Eventually a HUGE amount of the pagan religions became crossed with Christianity as it evolved from a sect of Judaism to something more palatable to the pagans.  Names and attributes are merged and blended.

I'm not saying that Christ was anything other than the Son of God, but even the word 'begotten' was constructed by a committee of men 300 + years later to separate his birth from all others.  

How many angels dance on the head of a pin?

Did Adam have a belly button?

There's the truth, and there's the truth blended with all kinds of cultures, misunderstandings, paganism, etc.  Do we know the name of God?  No, can we call him Odin if that's the cultural name for God in our area?  Sure, but that doesn't mean that's really his name.  That's just what we call him.  His name isn't 'God' either.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Historians do not doubt the existence of a historical Jesus of Nazareth. Historians also do not consider the works of Josephus and Tacitus to be "not factual".
View Quote

It's a far cry from saying there is a historical Jesus to saying he was the Messiah
Josephus' comments about a historical Jesus were added later by those trying to bolster their case for Jesus being the Messiah

As for the other people who were woven into accounts of Biblical events, its no different than The Walking Dead being set in a place known to the modern viewing audience.
Just because the show depicts Atlanta swarming with dead walkers doesn't mean it actually happened.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's a far cry from saying there is a historical Jesus to saying he was the Messiah
Josephus' comments about a historical Jesus were added later by those trying to bolster their case for Jesus being the Messiah

As for the other people who were woven into accounts of Biblical events, its no different than The Walking Dead being set in a place known to the modern viewing audience.
Just because the show depicts Atlanta swarming with dead walkers doesn't mean it actually happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, it's historical fiction. Much like the Last of the Mohicans, etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#37]
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-christ-like-figures-who-pre-date-jesus/

Of course a religious based website will present "facts" in such a way to pander to the believers,  and of course that's what you will take as truth because of faith.  The blinders of religion are powerful.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Muslims feel just as strongly about Mohammed to the point they kill people over cartoons.
Every faith throughout history has had its devout believers who will only accept their faith as the one true faith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Like quoting Apple "theology" to an Android user, it doesn't mean anything to the other group.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#39]
what about RNGesus?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Religious beliefs aside, there is ample evidence that Jesus, the man, did in fact exist.  You can argue whether or not he was the Messiah, but not whether or not he was a real person.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was not the thesis of your statement that I originally quoted. You said that Jesus did not exist as a historical person and that the Roman and Jewish sources were "not factual". These are not considered historically valid positions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Not actual evidence, mostly just rationalizations.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What I find interesting is people that claim to have faith, attempting to prove those same things they have faith in.

Religious faith by definition is belief in something despite the proof. Which is fine if that's what you're in to, but don't get bent out of shape about it when others that want proof don't follow the same belief system because there isn't any.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Explain
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What I find interesting is people that claim to have faith, attempting to prove those same things they have faith in.

Religious faith by definition is belief in something despite the proof. Which is fine if that's what you're in to, but don't get bent out of shape about it when others that want proof don't follow the same belief system because there isn't any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The background to this book is someone who set out to disprove the historical existence of Jesus, yet through his research, came to the exact opposite conclusion.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. It has been proven by historians that he existed. Many that hated him also spoke of the miracles he performed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The background to this book is someone who set out to disprove the historical existence of Jesus, yet through his research, came to the exact opposite conclusion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's already been stated that many historians belief Jesus walked the earth, and was probably a religious icon.

It's the supernatural stuff that people question.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This thread will result in a very productive discussion devoid of any insults, warnings or bans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#50]
The only reason Josephus is even brought up is because unlike the dozens of proven interpolations of Jesus of Nazareth into other works no copies of Josephus prior to the interpolation survived.

No serious historian gives Josephus any credence as proof of historicity. It's faith, faith is great, if you're so inclined. Don't be deceived into believing there's evidence to negate the need of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top