Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 12:23:20 AM EDT

So just over a week ago I had a car accident.  The guy pulled right out in front of me in a Dodge 2500 Crew Cab.  No real injuries.  Police said it was the other guy's fault and gave him a citation.  He has Allstate insurance.

So I decided to deal with Allstate directly instead of going through my insurance company (USAA).  I regret that.  It now it feels like Allstate is stalling.  Saying they haven't determined yet who was at fault.  And the person to inspect my car isn't going to come out until next week (2 weeks after the accident).  And they aren't authorizing a rental car because they aren't admitting fault.

So what's their end game?  What do they gain by stalling?  I'm thinking of going and getting a rental car anyway.  They should have to pay for it once they admit fault.

Any advice appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

So just over a week ago I had a car accident.  The guy pulled right out in front of me in a Dodge 2500 Crew Cab.  No real injuries.  Police said it was the other guy's fault and gave him a citation.  He has Allstate insurance.

So I decided to deal with Allstate directly instead of going through my insurance company (USAA). I regret that.  It now it feels like Allstate is stalling.  Saying they haven't determined yet who was at fault.  And the person to inspect my car isn't going to come out until next week (2 weeks after the accident).  And they aren't authorizing a rental car because they aren't admitting fault.

So what's their end game?  What do they gain by stalling?  I'm thinking of going and getting a rental car anyway.  They should have to pay for it once they admit fault.

Any advice appreciated.

View Quote

uh
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So I decided to deal with Allstate directly instead of going through my insurance company (USAA).  I regret that.  It now it feels like Allstate is stalling.  Saying they haven't determined yet who was at fault.  And the person to inspect my car isn't going to come out until next week (2 weeks after the accident).  And they aren't authorizing a rental car because they aren't admitting fault.

So what's their end game?  What do they gain by stalling? I'm thinking of going and getting a rental car anyway.  They should have to pay for it once they admit fault.

Any advice appreciated.

View Quote

They are hoping you go away.   Delay to try to keep from paying anything and try to flip blame on you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You pay your insurance company to handle these things for you.  And now you want to do it yourself for free?  Not knowing what to do, how to deal with them?  Why?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
You have 2 options. Deal with his in insurance and run the risk of this bullshit continuing, or get your insurance involved and not have to deal with anything.

Third option is to be as big of a pain in the ass to his insurance during the process as possible in hopes that they try and get rid of you and hurry things along.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Seriously dude. Just call USAA. Last accident I had, USAA had me in a rental car within 2 hours after it happened.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You pay your insurance company to handle these things for you.  And now you want to do it yourself for free?  Not knowing what to do, how to deal with them?  Why?
View Quote

You know, I've always went through my company.  But I heard or read somewhere that it was better to go straight to the other company if it was clearly the other person's fault.

I screwed up, eh?  

And I suppose it is too late to go though my company now?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Call your insurance and tell them to get involved, or hire a lawyer, or go rent a vehicle comparable to yours and save the bill....I hired a lawyer within a  week or so of my wreck because I was getting the run around...lawyer got results right away..course mine was a pretty bad wreck and still not resolved after 3+ years.......
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a similar thread years ago here at Arfcom. The consensus was to get my insurance involved. I did just that, the problem went away at no cost to me.  I suggest calling your insurance and let them handle it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Call your insurance and tell them to get involved, or hire a lawyer, or go rent a vehicle comparable to yours and save the bill....I hired a lawyer within a  week or so of my wreck because I was getting the run around...lawyer got results right away..course mine was a pretty bad wreck and still not resolved after 3+ years.......
View Quote

So I can still call them now?!  You don't know how happy this makes me!  I was afraid it was too late.  I suppose I should also call Allstate tomorrow and tell them I have decided to let USAA handle it?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So I can still call them now?!  You don't know how happy this makes me!  I was afraid it was too late.  I suppose I should also call Allstate tomorrow and tell them I have decided to let USAA handle it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't even call Allstate, let your insurance handle everything. Call your insurance right now if they have a 24hr call center.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, call them now..don't say another word to Allstate...only talk to your insurance..period..if at any time you think you might be  blamed for anything tell your insurance you want a lawyer(I think most states have that as  a law)...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Tell your insurance that allstate is fucking around with who's at fault despite the police report saying it was the other guy.

But don't use your insurance to fix your vehicle. Make Allstate pay.

My wife got in a wreck by a red light runner who had USAA.

I called USAA and gave them the drivers insurance info. They gave me a claim number and then I called my insurance to let them know. It took a day or so for my insurance to receive the police report. Luckily USAA wasn't fucking around and noted that the police report said that the USAA driver was at fault. Luckily my wife had a witness out of the 10 other drivers around. The guy thay ran the red light with multiple other drivers stopped said it was my wife's fault.

Wife was OK. Just a little whiplash. Sucks that our 2 year old car was totaled.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude call your insurance company
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Getting your insurance company involved doesn't necessarily mean your rates will go up. If the officer found the other driver at fault then your insurance company likely will too. Shouldn't have any affect on your rate. I'm dealing with almost the exact same thing right now.

Police found the other, commercial driver at fault. His company insurance basically told us to pound sand. They won't pay even with the report saying their guy is at fault. What a load of shit right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#15]
You pay USAA for insurance, not Allstate, contact your insurance company tomorrow, let them do what they are paid to do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Wow, what a consensus!  I just got off the phone with USAA.  Was much better dealing with them.  I won't make this mistake again!

Car is being picked up tomorrow.  They said it's almost surely a total loss (what I expected).  Unfortunately, I don't have the rental reimbursement coverage with USAA so it didn't fix that problem.  Oh well, everything else is still a load off my mind.

ETA:  Oops, forgot.     THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#17]

USAA will make things happen quick, fast and in a hurry. Then they'll put a knot on Allstate's head.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I got hit 2 weeks ago...
Geico driver was at fault, they tried the only cover 70% of the accident and another driver who was not at fault 30%.
Then they went on to tell me that I should have my insurance pay for the damages and collect the money from the other insurance companies.
I told them there's no way I'm getting my insurance involved since I was just sitting at a light when their driver turned on a unprotected green light in front of someone else causing the accident... I'll let them know if they're going to make it this difficult for me I would just get a lawyer to handle it for me, and that I simply wanted my car fix but if they wanted to play stupid and waste my time Ive been driving around for 2 weeks without a passenger side mirror almost getting hit because of it struggling to pull in and out my garage almost hitting my truck (just whining)...this was last Friday
Monday morning I got a call Mr Sonyvman we are going to to pay 100% of the claim after reviewing the evidence and your phone call Friday we decided to pay a hundred percent let me set up your rental car reservation for you...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wow, what a consensus!  I just got off the phone with USAA.  Was much better dealing with them.  I won't make this mistake again!

Car is being picked up tomorrow.  They said it's almost surely a total loss (what I expected).  Unfortunately, I don't have the rental reimbursement coverage with USAA so it didn't fix that problem.  Oh well, everything else is still a load off my mind.

ETA:  Oops, forgot.     THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

View Quote

Allstate won't offer a rental?

USAA did for my wife (we don't use USAA )
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish I had let my insurance handle it when I had my accident last August. I even had it on video and Allstate was a nightmare to deal with. They kept trying to get me to let them transport my Jeep an hour away to a salvage yard in another county. The adjuster told me that my jeep had significant frame damage and offered me $3900. I had a friend of a friend who rebuilds cars for a living to go look at it and he told me that the frame was NOT damaged and that Allstate was bullshitting me. He told me that he would fix it for $3000 plus the suspension work that was quoted at around $375.

I kept the Jeep and they gave me $3275. plus time missed from work and about 20 hours overtime along with about $1000 for pain and suffering. In the end I came out a little ahead but I will never deal with another insurance company other than mine again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Also get yourself a dash cam. Nothing is better than actual footage of your accident. Think of it as another layer of cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:50:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I have Allstate, wife was in a wreck a couple years ago, not her fault.
It took 18 months to settle everything, never again, my first call will always be an attorney now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#24]
allstate is scum of the earth. ranked last in customer satisfaction forever. they dont pay, period.

live and learn i say.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This x1000.

you pay your insurance to handle this for you man. It is their job especially when it is there a liability they know exactly what to do to get money out of the other company smoothly and quickly. Of course be where's that your insurance company's other job is to collect premiums and avoid paying benefits to you if they can never get away with it so just remember that you have to threaten them with Force IE the courts comma to keep them honest
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Allstate is fucking horrible.

USAA, don't even get me started on those lying cheating could give two fucks less about vet's crooks...

At least you don't live in a My Fault (aka, No Fault) insurance state.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Lawyer. Let them make the 33%, and you don't have to deal with AllSnake Insurance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#28]
If you ever feel that you are getting jerked around by an insurance company, fill an online complaint with the insurance commissioner in your state.  Make sure you have your case and documents straight.  This wakes them up every time
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Before and after value
you should hire an independent appraiser to do a value of what the truck was worth just before the wreck and what you could sell it as it is now.
the difference in the two values is the amount that the at fault driver owes you for your loss.
NEVER let a third party insurance company look at your vehicle and set the repair process or the dollar amount of that process.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Didn't even read the topic.

Fuck Allstate, they only watch out for their best interests and sKim as much money off claims as possible.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, that's usually how that works.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Collision safety consultants out of Carolina. Billy is a bad dude. Insurance companies hate him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Got in a wreck a couple years ago.  Clearly the other guys fault.  USAA said I would have to pay the deductible and wait to be reimbursed.  They got it through the other guys insurance so fast I didn't even have to pay that.  Got my car back in like a week at no cost to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#35]
My USAA agent met with the other insurance agent at the body shop and ended up beating the other agent with a car jack. She had to do 6 months in the county.

USAA don't mess around.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Had a young guy pull out into my wife's Jetta last year. Progressive went after them and it took almost 8 months and arbitration to get paid - even though the guy was cited by the State Police.
Typical insurance company bull feathers.
Let your insurance company do the work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top