Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 10:32:39 AM EDT
I noticed that people don't talk about them, post pics of them, sell them in stores, and you sure don't see them on TV or the big screen too much. So what's the deal? Personally I think their semiauto guns are ugly second only to Rugers. Anybody here actually like S&W semi guns?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Cause their autos suck.  Also, SW has just recently been remove from the shit list and is now back under american ownership.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#2]
... The same reason Republicans won't be very popular if they abandon the gun owners of America.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anybody here actually like S&W semi guns?
View Quote

Nope. I have always felt that S&W made only one type of firearm, revolvers and this they do well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. I have always felt that S&W made only one type of firearm, revolvers and this they do well.
View Quote

The S&W Performance Center autos are the equal of anything on the market.  I'm referring specifically to the 845 and 945 models, have seen a few others in 9MM and .40 calibers over the past few years that weren't as well known but all were of uniformly high quality in both design and build quality.  I wish I could have bought every one of them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

The S&W Performance Center autos are the equal of anything on the market.  I'm referring specifically to the 845 and 945 models, have seen a few others in 9MM and .40 calibers over the past few years that weren't as well known but all were of uniformly high quality in both design and build quality.  I wish I could have bought every one of them.
View Quote

Problem is the performance center guns cost 3 times as much as the others.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
i will give you one reason i don't carry my smith and wesson , yes they are built like tanks but

A mag disconect has no place in a pistol I at least want to get one shot off if the mag falls out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
.....[b]and they are UGLY![b]

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Feel free to buy my share, I sure as hell would not own one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

what he said [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I never liked them and the only people that I see using them are newbies or cops who could care less about their pistol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Frankly, most of the S&W semi-auto's have lousy ergonomics and don't point well for most shooters.

The only exceptions to that rule are the Model 41 22 target pistol (which points like a 1911), their new SW1911 (which [b]is[/b] a 1911), and their IPSC-focused 45 (don't recall the model number offhand, 745 or 945 IIRC) which was designed to point like a 1911.

Their revolvers are excellent guns, however.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Frankly, most of the S&W semi-auto's have lousy ergonomics and don't point well for most shooters.

The only exceptions to that rule are the Model 41 22 target pistol (which points like a 1911), their new SW1911 (which [b]is[/b] a 1911), and their IPSC-focused 45 (don't recall the model number offhand, 745 or 945 IIRC) which was designed to point like a 1911.

Their revolvers are excellent guns, however.
View Quote

Dont forget about the model 52.
Too bad its only been out of production for about 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm dumping a nickel model 28-2 S&W highway patrolman on gunbroker.com right now.

Don't need it.  Don't want it.

View Quote

I geev you 10 dolla cash for it, meestah. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep hearing about spotty quality in their autopistols. Some are said to work fine, but there are far too many reports of jam-o-matics for my comfort. Never been a fan of mag disconnects either. Plus, I could never figure out their numbering system. Even Glock is pretty simple compared to S&W.

I'm sure plenty of people haven't forgiven them for The Deal yet either. I'm still not sure, but that 50 Magnum did piss off and antis...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]
s&w 686 4 inch barrel with magnporting on the ending

s&w 629 4 inch barrel with magnaporting on the end

what can I say.. I'm a port-head. ;] besides they look cool when you shoot em.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
.....[b]and they are UGLY![b]

View Quote

That's the truth.  No matter how well a gun functions, aesthetics play a role in wanting to own one as well.  And the smith autos I've tried all feel weird in the hand.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Smith semis feel, look, and function wierd. Smith sold the gun buying public out and the public has a long memory and is not easy in the forgiving. I use to like their two digit models like 57, 29, 27. Nevermore.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#21]
The 3953 is good. Single stack compact. I have one that I like very much. I also have a 6906 that is a good carry piece. I don't like the safety location (ergonomics from above.) All in all they are decent pistols. I don't carry either anymore due to better options now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Every three-digit Smith semi-auto I have ever handled felt like I was holding a 2X4--square edges in all the wrong places, uncomfortable grip & controls, pointed awkwardly (I think the barrels are all too high above the grip to make a natural point) and balanced poorly.

Every Smith revolver I have ever handled had a good grip, pointed well, was well-balanced, good sights, excellent construction--in short, they are everything their semi-autos aren't.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Ive never handled a current production Smith auto that didnt point like a hair dryer.

I love their revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Smith 6904 in SS but my carry gun is a Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II in SS. No complaints on the Smith but I prefer a .45 for personal protection.

[b][i]Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.[/i][/b]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#25]
[b][red][size=4]I WILL NEVER OWN A S&W[/red][/size=4][/b]

Son's of Bitches are very responsible for the passage of SB211 in Maryland which heralded all kinds of new restrictions, built-in locking devices and ballistic fingerprinting.

[red][size=4][b]S&W CAN BURN IN HELL[/red][/size=4][/b]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 4506 auto and my wife has a 3913LS Lady Smith and both of them have performed flawlessly in the 12+ years that we have owned them.
I also have a 629 Classic that has never had a malfunction.
I wouldn't mind having one of those new .500 Magnums![:D]
I am also thinking of one of the Airlite Ti's in .357 Mag for a summer carry weapon.
I have a Kimber Pro Carry that I carry everyday instead of the S&W because of avalibilty of accessories.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[b]I WILL NEVER OWN A S&W[/b]
Son's of Bitches are very responsible for the passage of SB211 in Maryland which heralded all kinds of new restrictions, built-in locking devices and ballistic fingerprinting.
[b]S&W CAN BURN IN HELL[/b]
View Quote

I know that but any strong thoughts on the subject?[img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-124.gif[/img]

[b][i]Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.[/i][/b]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 908 (9mm semi-auto) that is a good carry piece. Points well, good ergos, shots well, and feeds anything and everything. I will have one of their new 1911's in a few days. Real nice gun.

Took a tour of the plant not long ago and it was filled with American workers who love their jobs and the products they make. Their pride was quite evident. Yeah, the British ex-owners screwed up, but let's not punish the new American owners and the real people who work there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a S&W 4013 .40 cal, and I like it.  I think as they CNC machine everything now the build quality is alot more consistent.  And they aren't going nuts subsituting plastic parts like Beretta is for their '92 model these days.

I've got around 600 rounds through it with not a single malfunction, and it is built solid.

Mags are much more rigid and strong then most other handgun mags too.

Bottom line though, I like talking more about guns with character, like my M92, S&W revolvers, SIG's, Glocks, etc...

S&W semis are reliable in my opinion, and well built, but lack character, so I don't bring them up in conversation much, or choose them for the range much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[b][red][size=4]I WILL NEVER OWN A S&W[/red][/size=4][/b]

[red][size=4][b]S&W CAN BURN IN HELL[/red][/size=4][/b]
View Quote

S&W was also instrumental in defining the term Sat. Nite Special. They lobbied for the point system that ATF uses to evaluate foriegn imported revolvers. Ever wonder why Taurus' have a 2 1/8 barrel, S&W got ATF to say that any imported gun with a barrel lenght of 2" or shorter is a no-no.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I won't argue with you about the sins that S&W has committed in the past, but it seem to me that the new owners of the company are much more 2nd Amendment friendly.  I mean, just look at the .500 S&W Magnum.  You gotta figure that they developed that just to piss off the gun grabbers and make them look like total buffoons.

So far, it has worked beautifully.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry a 649 .357 5 shot snubby and have a .22 22A with 7" barrel for target shooting. I like both of them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#33]
SmithC and Lumpy you guys crack me up,you must have owned a Smith auto or two.

"Points like a hair dryer"[ROFL2] Only too true![:D]

I've owned a couplea S&W auto's,both .45's.Both built real well and very accurate.One was a 4536(3.5" barrel no external safty decock only)stainless, a really well built pistol and expensive.Cost me $600 12 years ago.The other was a 745(or somethin)cheaper version,basically the same except alloy frame and carbon steel slide.

They are well made ,accurate guns.IMO the ergonomics were fine.They are just kinda clunky.The slide on the .45 is real thick and beefy(top heavy)wide and they are just sorta wierd (IMO)pistols as far as natural pointability

I've discovered the 1911(I like Colts) the last few years.The single action scared me off at first,but now I see it as an asset.Its a much more comfortabe and natural gun to shoot and conceals more comfortably.

You should try em out,they might be right for you.All the different makes,including S&W.

Personally I've always wanted a SIG because of what I've heard and read.The Cadillac of handguns......guess what?......I have yet to find one that fits my hand comfotably(including the .380),Its a bummer but they just don't work for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Picked up this NIB 686P a few months ago. Great shooter.

[img]pweb.netcom.com/~mattja/pics/100_0009_25.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Problem is the performance center guns cost 3 times as much as the others.
View Quote

Actually, the 945 is only 1999.99, now before you make any smart ass remark's just think, nearly all Wilson Combat pistols are above that with the Super Grade coming in at an astonishing $3,499.99.  Almost all of the Les Baer Pistols start at $1750 and head north from there, so really in the performance custom 1911's, it's only mid-range.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

[img]pweb.netcom.com/~mattja/pics/100_0009_25.jpg[/img]
View Quote

AHHHHHHHH the 686!!

My FIRST gun I ever owned and to this day my FAVORITE (handgun) I have.  VERY accurate. Its the 6 shot with 4" barrel and got it for 150.00! off a buddy of mine. Hmmm... time to take her to the range!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]pweb.netcom.com/~mattja/pics/100_0009_25.jpg[/url]
View Quote

AHHHHHHHH the 686!!

My FIRST gun I ever owned and to this day my FAVORITE (handgun) I have.  VERY accurate. Its the 6 shot with 4" barrel and got it for 150.00! off a buddy of mine. Hmmm... time to take her to the range!
View Quote

I'm thinking of getting another 7-shot with 4" barrel just for fun. [:D]

After the wife gets something new, of course. [0:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#38]
My mom actually bought me (well she gave me the $$$) a Stainless Steel Model 66 .357 for my birthday last year. It is my only revolver, and so far I have really enjoyed shooting it. I've made some neat handloads for it. I have never considered carrying it CCW, though. I'd rather carry my Kimber.

But a cop buddy of mine, who is the armorer for a local PD told me early on to stay away from S&W autos. All kinds of problems, he told me.

(This opinion piece is sole property of Forrest in perpituity throughout the universe . . . )
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Because there's nothing perticularly unique that S&W makes, ex revolvers...

They made a (not-so-good) PPK copy a few years ago...

They make not-very-remarkable semi-auto handguns, which are not 'hallmark' designs for the calibers in question (like the 1911 or USP for .45ACP, like the Beretta 92 or Glock for 9mm, etc... Even .40S&W is more commonly used for a Beretta or Glock design)...

Both of my pistols are/were service-issue designs. That would be the ONLY reason I would buy a S&W auto (if it replaced the M-9)...

Right now, I have a desire for a PP, PPK (esp if CCW becomes legal, or I move somewhere where it is.), and maybe a Makarov. That will be it for pistols...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Because there's nothing perticularly unique that S&W makes, ex revolvers...

They made a (not-so-good) PPK copy a few years ago...

They make not-very-remarkable semi-auto handguns, which are not 'hallmark' designs for the calibers in question (like the 1911 or USP for .45ACP, like the Beretta 92 or Glock for 9mm, etc... Even .40S&W is more commonly used for a Beretta or Glock design)...

Both of my pistols are/were service-issue designs. That would be the ONLY reason I would buy a S&W auto (if it replaced the M-9)...

Right now, I have a desire for a PP, PPK (esp if CCW becomes legal, or I move somewhere where it is.), and maybe a Makarov. That will be it for pistols...
View Quote

I have to disagree.  The SW99, cousin of the Walther P99, is quite a remarkable gun.  Polymer frame with ajdustable backstraps, simple mechanism like a Glock, DA/SA operation, and decocker.  It just feels right, functions better than the P99 (in my opinion), and can now be had in .45ACP.  My only complaint was that I didn't get it with night sites.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#41]
For all of the people who like to preach forgiveness for the past mistakes of S&W, do you realize that that agreement still stands?! Bush isn't enforcing it, and S&W isn't following voluntarily (although, I've heard that they claim that they are). If I understand correctly, if a liberal gets elected in a couple of years, they could start the enforcement of that agreement back up again and S&W is going to pretty much be in the same boat that they were in a little while ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm not punishing S&W for could ofs and prior management duplicity.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not punishing S&W for could ofs and prior management duplicity.
View Quote

I figure that I will stop punishing them if they sign another agreement that supercedes the previous agreement and annuls it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:04:41 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a 6906 that I liked alot until I unforunitly had to sell it.  Never had a problem with the safety since at the time I was also carring a Beretta 92 (training).  The Baby Sigma I bought for my sister didn't fit my hand right but it never malfunctioned (she likes it).  Will always buy there N framed 41s.  Guns that totally do not fit my hands are Sigs (way to top heavy).  Then again I also miss my nickled P7 PSP.  

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#45]
They've been around a long time and have a loyal following. I have never owned  any S&W's,
But I did handled many and shot some rounds off on a few.Don't care for them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a 3953 that has been one of my primary carry guns since I bought it in 1991.  It's slim, compact, smooth, accurate, ergonomic, and reliable.  Works for me.

DrMark
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:59:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I love my 686.

no need for their semi's
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

AHHHHHHHH the 686!!
View Quote

I'm thinking of getting another 7-shot with 4" barrel just for fun. [:D]
After the wife gets something new, of course. [0:)]
View Quote

my favorite revolver is my 3" 686 7 shooter
great factory trigger yet the frame is big enough to tame recoil
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I quess some of the love of S&W would be they were about four years ahead of the cap-an-ball conversion to Cartridge!

Their Model 65,mod 29,and many other are bitchen revolvers!   I personally like the 1st and 2nd Gen Model 39!

But like Glock may have shot themselves in the foot with the avid gun,collector shootest!

Bob  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top