Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 9:00:40 PM EDT
I've lived in this house since 07 and got my first dog in 07 and my other dog in 08. My 2 dogs dislike any other animals (except other dogs) that get into the fenced in backyard. In the 9 years that I've lived here they've killed 10+ cats and 15+ possums (along with a raccoon and few squirrels) so anything that gets in the yard is pretty much dead either by them or by me finishing it off with a suppressed 22. Late last year my female dog somehow got into the neighbors yard and killed 2 adult cats and 3 kittens, my neighbor was cool about it and I cleaned up all of the cats. So fast forward to this morning and my female dog is barking nonstop at a spot in the fence, I go out there and the neighbor is outside, I ask her about it and she said that she doesn't know what's going on. I bring my dogs inside and go over to see what's in her yard and this is when the problem starts. I open her gate and I see 3 cats run off and I say "Well that's the problem" and she says no and points me to the fence where a mama cat and 4 kittens are laying down feeding. I then see 3 large aluminum pie plates full of cat food on her back porch, oh great she's feeding the strays. I didn't mention anything to her because surely she knows that my dogs kill cats so why would she attract them?

So the issue that I fore see is if she gets upset about my dogs (that I've had for 9 years) kill the feral cats (that she has no attachment to) in her yard and calls the cops. So what's the best way to deal with this?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
catlady is one disease for which modern society has found no cure. they're like the lepers of suburbia.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest you keep your dogs in your yard before they get shot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You're going to have to trap and dispose of them.

However, as long as she keeps feeding them, they'll keep coming.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Best way to deal with it is to keep your dogs in your own yard.

If the dog kills the cats in your own yard, then whatever.  If you can't keep your dog in your own yard.. then you and the dog are the problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

My dogs stay in a fenced in backyard, the ONLY time that any one of them got out was late last year and I've since repaired the fence.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep your dogs on your property.

I understand that strays are a problem, but if she feeds the cats and chooses to care for them, in her yard, that is her choice.

I like cats.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the lady a cat suit
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Control your animals and keep them out of her yard possibly?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:So the issue that I fore see is if she gets upset about my dogs (that I've had for 9 years) kill the feral cats (that she has no attachment to) in her yard and calls the cops. So what's the best way to deal with this?

Control your animals and keep them out of her yard possibly?

..and that's the plan, like I said before one of them got out once and that was it and I've since repaired the fence
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're going to have to trap and dispose of them.

However, as long as she keeps feeding them, they'll keep coming.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

And breeding too.

I have seen what happens when these cat ladies feed feral cats
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep a cool head and think twice with whatever you do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Show her this and tell her to keep her cats in her yard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
[removed and warning issued - Paul]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Brother had a neighbor that fed stay cats. It got so bad that coyotes came to feed on the cats. I never heard it myself but my brother said a coyote killing a cat at 2 am makes quite a bit of noise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]
You need to start feeding the cats, lead that is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#17]
If you got neighbors that close, you're probably in town. Good chance there is an ordinance against feeding strays.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a havahart trap and "relocate" them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Ship in some coyotes they love cats.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Wife's mom was feeding strays in her neighborhood. Feral cat colony exploded. Over a two year period, we caught 26 little kittehs, socialized them, found them homes, wash, rinse, repeat. Eventually we were able to trap most of the mama cats and took them to the free "snip clinic", helped them recuperate, then turned them loose back into the colony. By the third year, the colony was static so it was a self-limiting problem at that point.

Feral colonies are no joke. They can be "managed" by proactive measures but they can cause big problems if not. Oddly, Orlando FL has a fairly large feral cat colony and the local shops seem to like that it keeps the rodent population at bay. Last time we were there, we saw a guy in a beater go to the back of a parking lot and start acting hinky. Cats suddenly starting coming out from everywhere. Turns out, the guy had a bag of cat food in his trunk and would feed them there every day. He just didn't want anybody to notice as I think there may be a city ordnance against feeding them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Just put a bigger food plate in your yard so your dogs can kill without issue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wife's mom was feeding strays in her neighborhood. Feral cat colony exploded. Over a two year period, we caught 26 little kittehs, socialized them, found them homes, wash, rinse, repeat. Eventually we were able to trap most of the mama cats and took them to the free "snip clinic", helped them recuperate, then turned them loose back into the colony. By the third year, the colony was static so it was a self-limiting problem at that point.

Feral colonies are no joke. They can be "managed" by proactive measures but they can cause big problems if not. Oddly, Orlando FL has a fairly large feral cat colony and the local shops seem to like that it keeps the rodent population at bay. Last time we were there, we saw a guy in a beater go to the back of a parking lot and start acting hinky. Cats suddenly starting coming out from everywhere. Turns out, the guy had a bag of cat food in his trunk and would feed them there every day. He just didn't want anybody to notice as I think there may be a city ordnance against feeding them.
View Quote

Ordinance...ordnance goes boom.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]
You don't have a feral cat problem.   You have a feral cat lady problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#25]
check your local animal shelter to see if they have cat traps.  put them on your property, fill them with the cats, and then bring it to the shelter.

the neighbor might get pissed but hey she can always go adopt them from the shelter, right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
check your local animal shelter to see if they have cat traps.  put them on your property, fill them with the cats, and then bring it to the shelter.

the neighbor might get pissed but hey she can always go adopt them from the shelter, right?
View Quote

That's probably the safest bet.  More work, but less legal issues.

People have lost their marbles as far as feral cats go in this State.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#27]
1. Contact a local Chinese restaurant
2. .................
3. Profit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they REALLY don't like people who feed strays?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
SOS different day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top