User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2016 7:32:07 PM EDT
scared the living shit out of me!

Background...

2001 Jeep Cherokee with 85k miles on the odometer

On the interstate heading home from my moms, light traffic, doing about 55 - 60 or so, hit a bump in the road, next thing I know

the whole front end is vibrating and shaking like there was a mini-earthquake under the hood.

The whole event lasted maybe 5 seconds before it smoothed out, but it was 5 seconds of white knuckle terror.

Looks like tomorrow will be spent jacking it up and crawling underneath to see if I can locate the problem, if

not... it's off to a mechanic and placed on a lift.

One possabilty... just two days ago I took one of my front tires to be patched because of a nail in the tread.

Googling around informs me that improper balancing, or over inflation can be one possible cause.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it back to the shop that made the repair.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
broken belt in the tire could be too
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Scary shit. I had a death wobble in my '57 CJ-5 last summer. It's crazy how much force is at the steering wheel with mechanical (non-power) steering.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Background...

On the interstate heading home from my moms, light traffic, doing about 55 - 60 or so, hit a bump in the road, next thing I know

the whole front end is vibrating and shaking like there was a mini-earthquake under the hood.

The whole event lasted maybe 5 seconds before it smoothed out, but it was 5 seconds of white knuckle terror.

Looks like tomorrow will be spent jacking it up and crawling underneath to see if I can locate the problem, if

One possabilty... just two days ago I took one of my front tires to be patched because of a nail in the tread.

Googling around informs me that improper balancing, or over inflation can be one possible cause.

View Quote

The last time I had the wobble was on my 05 duramax, had 230k miles on it without ever changing a part. Got underneath it and everything on the front end was wore slap ass out.

Replaced all tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, ball joints and the damn thIng is still off. no more wobble, but can't get the tires aligned right and it vibrates like hell.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
This is why we can't have SFA.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a jeep and know nothing about them but I've had the front end shimmies before.

Ball Joints? tie rods? That was my issue in a toyota..

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You can with leaf springs. Most death wobble ive seen is due to worn control arm bushings on coil sprung jeeps
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Ex wife's jeep broke the lower track bar mount off the axle twice, that made for an interesting ride.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Track bar

Have someone get in the car and have them move the wheel left to right and watch all the linkage points.
The trackbar attachment points are usually the culprit.

The dampener shock on the front was a factory bandaid. It will only mask the issue for a while.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can with leaf springs. Most death wobble ive seen is due to worn control arm bushings on coil sprung jeeps
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 80 series has coils...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Cagers.  

Do a tank slapper on a bike over 70 MPH and get back to us.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
No joke dude. My TJ had it. Used it as an excuse to put an OME lift on it. Right as rain after.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can happen on leaf sprung front ends - my '79 CJ-7 has done it and a poster a few above you had it on a '57 CJ-5.  

I've also had it on a '96 Dodge 2500 4wd - new controls did not solve the problem, neither did new tires, TREs or any other part the dealer thru at it under warranty.  Increasing the caster solved the problem - I did it in my driveway after the dealer threw in the towel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#14]
It can literally be anything.

I had it once a week after I bought a 97 TJ with 100k miles on it. Had driven it around town a bit and never had any issues. One day, driving at ~45mph and the hood is shaking like you describe and swore the front was kind of moving side to side but wasn't sure. I thought somehow the hood straps had come undone. Stopped to check..nothing. Pulled the straps and they were on tight. Couldn't figure it out.

2 days later I had the tires/wheels changed out to 35" tires and we found that there was a bulge on the far inside of one of the front tires. No idea if that caused it, but I've had the Jeep for 2 years now and have never had anything like it happen again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

SFA?

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Mine has leaf springs in the rear, and coil springs up front.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Grab a buddy, your keys and do what I suggested.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#18]
If you just had a tire fixed, make sure they tightened the lug nuts good. this will cause wobble and a lot of other issues, like tires coming off.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

SFA?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SFA?

Quoted:
Quoted:

SFA= solid front axle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cagers.  

View Quote

Yeah this.

Front tire pressure way too low, very cold, too fast over a bump.

Handlebars just explode out of my hands as the front end makes violent oscillations stop to stop.

When it spit me off (maybe 60?), all I remember was whap! whap! whap! every time my helmet hit as I rolled.  

My first motorcycle crash. Good times.

Not to minimize your experience OP. I've been in a Wrangler at speed that shouldn't have been at speed. Very unstable. It was not fun.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cagers.  

View Quote

Those are no fun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Control arm bushings go bad on tj and xj jeeps along with the usual culprits-- tie rods etc
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought a death wobble was on a bike.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Background...

View Quote

More than likely, it's going to be the trackbar or the hole the lower end bolts to being worn too big.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also a common problem on Jeeps

OP, was the jeep stock? Or have you modified the steering or suspension components in any way?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

SFA?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SFA?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then check the front control arm bushings
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OP, was the jeep stock? Or have you modified the steering or suspension components in any way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope... left it just the way it came off the assembly line.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Meh it's not as bad as it seems, you can let go of your steering wheel in a dw and the jeep will continue down th road straight as an arrow until you slow down. My jeep gets it all the time but I haven't bothered to fix it yet since I drive it only a few miles a week anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cagers.  

View Quote

+1 The thread title reminded me of my old Kawasaki Z1 900.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Track bar

Have someone get in the car and have them move the wheel left to right and watch all the linkage points.

The trackbar attachment points are usually the culprit.

The dampener shock on the front was a factory bandaid. It will only mask the issue for a while.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Knowledgebase/Image/tjsteering(1).jpg
View Quote
Sway bar & sway bar steering dampeners (I think those were the parts) fixed mine.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah this.

Handlebars just explode out of my hands as the front end makes violent oscillations stop to stop.

When it spit me off (maybe 60?), all I remember was whap! whap! whap! every time my helmet hit as I rolled.  

Not to minimize your experience OP. I've been in a Wrangler at speed that shouldn't have been at speed. Very unstable. It was not fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cagers.  

Yeah this.

Ouch.  

The bad tankslapper I had was hauling ass tire broke the ground but when I topped the gear out the tire came back down and the violent slapper ensued with the front end wobble.  I remembered to let it go, and was lucky the front end settled out instead of crashing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

I thought it was the one associated with Harleys.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Cagers.  
View Quote
Been there done that!!!!!

Survived, got home and drank heavily.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Had it happen to me today with my M1008.  My kids thought the movement was fun but I surly did not!

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cagers.  

View Quote

I had one at 55-60ish. DID NOT LIKE.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Can't find my favorite "delorean jeep 88 mph youre going to see some serious shit" meme fast enough...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Had that happen in my 2006 F-250 CC.  Had the whole family in the truck with and we were doing about 65.
It was violent shaking.  I thought the tie rod broke off along with a lot of other things.  Took it to a shop and they said all the normal parts that are culprits are worn out.

Swapped everything out and added dual dampers.  Not a problem since, but I still cringe when I hit uneven/bumpy road on the highway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got a 2011 Ram 2500 that I HATE because of death wobble.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe it's just a bandaid,  but a new steering damper solved the problem on my '96 Cherokee.  Super easy and never recurred, the old one had turned to mush.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#41]
i had the steering dampener on a VW thing seize up

that caused a whole lot o wobble
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 04 ram 2500 too.  Changed form the y link tierods to the newer t link and its it's fixed.  That's after replacing everything else up front.  Now I know why it was traded in....
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Tie Rods, Ball Joints.  A known problem on Chrysler front ends. The geometry is bad to start with and the OEM parts are "sealed" and not greasable. Have yours looked at.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 04 ram 2500 too.  Changed form the y link tierods to the newer t link and its it's fixed.  That's after replacing everything else up front.  Now I know why it was traded in....

The right tire would go up after hitting a bump and jerk the driver side in wash rinse repeat and just amplified.   T link solved that
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If you just had a tire fixed, make sure they tightened the lug nuts good. this will cause wobble and a lot of other issues, like tires coming off.

View Quote
Yes, start here.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Scary shit. I had a death wobble in my '57 CJ-5 last summer. It's crazy how much force is at the steering wheel with mechanical (non-power) steering.
View Quote

I high school I had a 54 Dodge pickup manual steering with a bent wheel (about a half inch of wobble).  Hit a bump just right at 35 mph and it would just about rip the wheel from your hands.  I eventually found a replacement wheel for it that solved that problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh Man, I know what you're talking about.

My 89 Jeep Cherokee had the same issue.

Steering stabilizer - which needed grinding to get in; both front wheels balanced, all new front end suspension and a drive shaft check to be sure.
Done with it finally. I redid the whole front end and that was it. My left side tire would bounce like nobody's business till I did the front end work. The grinding and installing the stabilizer and suspension parts worked.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Cagers.  
View Quote

This. At 130 + mph. Talk about pucker factor.

New steering dampener and new front tire fixed it.

And not hitting that particular bump the same way, at Bridgehampton.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Traction bar.
Check both bolts frame side and axle side. Probably need changed out maybe even new Trac bar.

Check pitman arm bolts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Track bar bushings and not enough caster are common causes.  And generally worn out suspension components.  And tires without stiff enough sidewalls.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top