Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2016 6:50:51 PM EDT
Fuck me to tears.

Po-Po calls and says I bought two stolen guns (Win. M1886 & Savage M1914) from the local pawn shop. Guns cleared the Po-Po check when sold and they were put out for sale. There were six of them total. Owner noticed them missing yesterday and filed a police report.

Po-Po asks if I still have the two rifles and I say I have the Winchester 1886 but parted out the Stevens M1914 but I still had the receiver.

Po-Po shows-up and gives me a list of 24 guns that were stolen from a 82 year old....I know the guy and went to school with one of his sons!

Of course I  give the 1886 to the po-po.

At least the old guy kept records of the serial numbers. Trouble was he kept the guns in a old wardrobe.

The pawn shop is going to make it right tomorrow but it still pisses me off just a little bit to lose the rifle.

Well it was nice while it lasted.

LOL....Anyone need a box of .40-82 BP cartridges?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
So who stole them?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks. Fucking thieves. At least the old man got one of his guns back though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Stolen goods at a pawn shop!?!

Unpossible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks. Fucking thieves. At least the old man got one of one of his guns back though and the remnants of one.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask the guy if he'd sell you the 1886?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So who stole them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So who stole them?

Heroin addicted Granddaughter and her Felon boyfriend.

Seems they stole a bunch of nice jewelry and a couple guns (one was a P-38)  from her other Grandmother and her son (I know him too) called the gun owner to see if he was missing anything. That's when he discovered the broken lock on his wardrobe. The po-po said he said that he had not looked at the guns in years.....Bad health and all.

Quoted:
Stolen goods at a pawn shop!?!

Unpossible.

One of the pitfalls of pawn shop buying I guess....It happened to me a couple years ago....Same type of deal.

By law they have to have guns they buy from walk-ins checked to see if they were stolen. 10 days after that they can put them out for sale. That's in case they are reported stolen.

The trouble is if someone files a stolen property report afterwards and the gun was sold through the shop they "go after" the new owner to recover the stolen property.

That "possession is nine tenths of the law" thing does not quite work that way.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmm....
So his grandaughter and her shitheal boyfriend....
Stole guns from someone....
No FFL involved.....
Yet shitbricks STILL got stolen weapons...::.

Anyways, sorry bud.  Sucks to loose a find like that
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fuck me to tears.

Po-Po calls and says I bought two stolen guns (Win. M1886 & Savage M1914) from the local pawn shop. Guns cleared the Po-Po check when sold and they were put out for sale. There were six of them total. Owner noticed them missing yesterday and filed a police report.

Po-Po asks if I still have the two rifles and I say I have the Winchester 1886 but parted out the Stevens M1914 but I still had the receiver.

Po-Po shows-up and gives me a list of 24 guns that were stolen from a 82 year old....I know the guy and went to school with one of his sons!

At least the old guy kept records of the serial numbers. Trouble was he kept the guns in a old wardrobe.

The pawn shop is going to make it right tomorrow but it still pisses me off just a little bit to lose the rifle.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/18iuew.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seems they stole a bunch of nice jewelry and a couple guns (one was a P-38)  from her other Grandmother and her son (I know him too) called the gun owner to see if he was missing anything. That's when he discovered the broken lock on his wardrobe. The po-po said he said that he had not looked at the guns in years.....Bad health and all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who stole them?

Maybe he would still be willing to sell it back to you?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]
That blows OP.   nice rifle there but happy for the old man...  I feel bad for him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That blows OP.   nice rifle there but happy for the old man...  I feel bad for him.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#12]
What if the old man forgot he sold them off years ago at a gun show?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The family thefts were becoming so prevelent that in order to protect the interests of those involved, like a pawn shop, some jurisdictions put in place a protocol where the  victim had to file a police report and if criminal charges weren't pursued, the police wouldn't get involved in the property being recovered. So, gone were using the po po as repo. Or, if criminal charges weren't being pursued, the property owner had to reimburse the innocent third party, pawn shop, etc

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
You had the perfect opportunity to tell them to "come and take it" and you blew it
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The family thefts were becoming so prevelent that in order to protect the interests of those involved, like a pawn shop, some jurisdictions put in place a protocol where the  victim had to file a police report and if criminal charges weren't pursued, the police wouldn't get involved in the property being recovered. So, gone were using the po po as repo. Or, if criminal charges weren't being pursued, the property owner had to reimburse the innocent third party, pawn shop, etc
View Quote

I like that idea.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I already called his son (not the bad seed's father) and talked to him and told him what the rifle was worth and suggested that he ask for it after he said his Dad was getting pretty feeble and can't even go down the steps to the basement where the guns are/were kept anymore.

He said his Dad was just broken-hearted about the whole Granddaughter thing.

She is looking at a bunch of time and she has three kids. Felon BF has 20 probation years hanging over his head from jump-street.

In Virginia a gun theft is a automatic felony. Even if Granddad would not press charges for theft the state will, especially in this case with the number of guns stolen and a felon involved.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I already called his son (not the bad seed's father) and talked to him and told him what the rifle was worth and suggested that he ask for it after he said his Dad was getting pretty feeble and can't even go down the steps to the basement where the guns are/were kept anymore.

She is looking at a bunch of time and she has three kids. Felon BF has 20 probation years hanging over his head from jump-street.

In Virginia a gun theft is a automatic felony. Even if Granddad would not press charges for theft the state will, especially in this case with the number of guns stolen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Virginia a gun theft is a automatic felony. Even if Granddad would not press charges for theft the state will, especially in this case with the number of guns stolen.

Since you know the family, if you can't buy the rifle from him, perhaps offer up the box of ammo if he lets you shoot it a few times?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Sad situation all around op.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Pawn Shop loophole.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Does the pawn shop have anything cool you're looking at to replace the rifle?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Since you know the family, if you can't buy the rifle from him, perhaps offer up the box of ammo if he lets you shoot it a few times?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, I view the rifle as tainted goods now and want no parts of it....Telling them what it was worth was me solving the potential "greed" problem and it being stayed solved.

I'll be made whole for what I paid by the pawn shop and that will be the end of it. I'll sell/trade the cartridges for more than I paid so it's all good.

Oddly enough I don't feel the least bit guilty about parting out the Savage. At least I made out on that one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
What if you said you sold them to a guy on armslist? Would they search the house? Since you had no clue they were stolen?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Damn shame, that's a nice looking rifle

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What if you said you sold them to a guy on armslist? Would they search the house? Since you had no clue they were stolen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If they had a reasonable suspicion that I lied to them and still had the stolen guns they could get a search warrant. Yes.

Remember the po-po can lie to you but it's illegal to lie to the po-po.

LOL...The funny part was when the po-po showed-up I was working on a Gew 98 that I bought at the pawn shop. I told him (I know the officer) better make sure the 98 was not on the list.

Quoted:

There is a nice CZ 12ga O/U there that would come close enough to making me whole but that's about it.....I'll likely just get store credit and get something later....hopefully it won't be stole....shits enough to make you paranoid..
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If they had a reasonable suspicion that I lied to them and still had the stolen guns they could get a search warrant. Yes.

LOL...The funny part was when the po-po showed-up I was working on a Gew 98 that I bought at the pawn shop. I told him (I know the officer) better make sure the 98 was not on the list.

There is a nice CZ 12ga O/U there that would come close enough to making me whole but that's about it.....I'll likely just get store credit and get something later....hopefully it won't be stole....shits enough to make you paranoid..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I thought haha
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#26]
My friend's grandfather had a number of guns stolen from him some years ago.  Every now and then he'd find one at gun shows in the Shenandoah Valley, and get the police involved to get it back.  The would-be sellers were "less than cordial" about the whole thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Well i figured this would or had happened to you with all the pawn shop treasure diving you do

All the pawn shops around here are 400+ over MSRP on guns and are douchebags

Sold me a Walther P99 once and i thought it was a deal until i took it out and it wouldn't shoot straight. Turns out the barrel was cracked on the inside.  No returns - S&W made it right though
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My friend's grandfather had a number of guns stolen from him some years ago.  Every now and then he'd find one at gun shows in the Shenandoah Valley, and get the police involved to get it back.  The would-be sellers were "less than cordial" about the whole thing.
View Quote

Well it's hard to blame them, doubly so if it's a pawn shop and they did their due diligence by state law.

Meh, the shop owner just sees it as the cost of doing that type of business. LOL....He will be out more to me than what he paid for the six guns.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Dude, give the cops your number and ask them to give it to the old guy. Tell them you know his son and would buy it off of him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Did you at least get your money back?

Maybe make an offer to the old guy to sell them to you?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#31]
You did the right thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would you want someone to lie to keep your stolen gun? Or would you be grateful someone helped get back your stolen property to you?

Plus besides being morally wrong and lying to the cops you are in possession of stolen goods. Think of the charges they could come up with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#33]
St Louuis, Mo. police recovered one of my pistols that had been stolen but alas, I never saw it again.
I hope the old feller get his back.

Anyone else recall the statue at the UN building cast from melted down recovered guns?
One giant illegal obtained heap of crass propaganda.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#34]
What if the OP would have SBR'd that rifle and it was now in the NFA registry?  I assume the cops couldn't just take it then?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dude, give the cops your number and ask them to give it to the old guy. Tell them you know his son and would buy it off of him.
View Quote

I know him and he's only about a half-mile away...I just don't want it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What if the OP would have SBR'd that rifle and it was now in the NFA registry?  I assume the cops couldn't just take it then?
View Quote

that would be an interesting case

edit : to read about.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why the thread you are saying you are to the point of tears?

Why wouldn't you want it anymore?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Gun safe

I think I'm gonna engrave my family guns with stolen from the freefall family.

That way my kids won't be able to sell them or if they do it will be at a reduced price.

The ARs I built for sons are never to be sold and I told them I will buy them before the go to

A pawn shop.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fuck me to tears.

View Quote

they for the winchester?  give them to the old guy whose gun it was and than share in his happiness as he is reunited with his property.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#40]
So the pawn shop out the money? Here I think the pawn shop gets to keep the stolen goods if owner doesn't pay the pawn shop
cost. In other words owner has to pay to get his property back. I may be entirely wrong though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So the pawn shop out the money? Here I think the pawn shop gets to keep the stolen goods if owner doesn't pay the pawn shop
cost. In other words owner has to pay to get his property back. I may be entirely wrong though.
View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Fuck me to tears.

View Quote

Pretty gun.

Damn fine thing you did admitting that you had them and doing the right thing. You could have lied and gotten away with it, but you did the right thing. That's integrity.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That sucks. Fucking thieves. At least the old man got one of his guns back though.
View Quote

And the pawn shop is helping the OP...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
The police could take it, but could not turn it over to the owner until he had complied with NFA requirements to take possession of it.

Found this one out by personal experience (and pending a resolution of the legal matter, I can say no more).
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Would you want someone to lie to keep your stolen gun? Or would you be grateful someone helped get back your stolen property to you?

Plus besides being morally wrong and lying to the cops you are in possession of stolen goods. Think of the charges they could come up with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would give the gun back to the old man because that is how I was raised. As much as it sucks, it is the right thing to do.

I was just curious as what would happen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Op, I know you don't like Texans, but I enjoy your gun threads.
Sorry you lost on this one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Fucking Junkies.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would give the gun back to the old man because that is how I was raised. As much as it sucks, it is the right thing to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok

A better way to word it would be "hypothetically speaking" or "what if it was already sold".

Anyway, I'd imagine they'd want to see any online listing of the gun you made and any email exchanges, phone number, name, etc you have do get ahold of the person you sold it to.

Basically I think it would be relatively easy for them to catch you in a lie, or become suspicious over your lack of willingness to cooperate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I hope that the OP is not so damned stupid that he would chop the original barrel on a nice 86 Winchester.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top