Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 6:17:50 PM EDT
The day Texas kicked Mexico's ass.

The Battle of San Jacinto, fought on April 21, 1836, in present-day Harris County, Texas, was the decisive battle of the Texas Revolution. Led by General Sam Houston, the Texian Army engaged and defeated General Antonio López de Santa Anna's Mexican army in a fight that lasted just 18 minutes.

Santa Anna, the President of Mexico, was captured and surrendered the following day and held as a prisoner of war. Three weeks later, he signed the peace treaty that dictated that the Mexican army leave the region, paving the way for the Republic of Texas to become an independent country. These treaties did not specifically recognize Texas as a sovereign nation, but stipulated that Santa Anna was to lobby for such recognition in Mexico City. Sam Houston became a national celebrity, and the Texans' rallying cries from events of the war, "Remember the Alamo!" and "Remember Goliad!," became etched into Texan history and legend.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
"We view ourselves on the eve of battle. We are nerved for the contest, and must conquer or perish. It is vain to look for present aid: none is at hand. We must now act or abandon all hope! Rally to the standard, and be no longer the scoff of mercenary tongues! Be men, be free men, that your children may bless their father's name."

- Sam Houston on the eve of the Battle of San Jacinto

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Great grandfather x however many fought there. One of only less than a dozen men to do so and sign the TX decleration of indpendence. My great uncle went in 1936 for the 100th year anniversary. State paid for him to make the trip on the train and it was the first time he left the county he was born in.

I might live long enough to make it to the 200th anniversary, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff, OP. If the stories behind Texas history don't make your blood boil to fight for freedom, then you're just waiting around to die.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It's nice when they remember a battle that actually won.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember the Alamo, remember Goliad.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Great uncle x several was Cpt. William Jones Elliot Heard.  He led Company F of the 1st Regt. of Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto

He is buried at the Chappell Hill Masonic Cemetery.  There are also markers in Egypt County about the Heard-Northington Plantation.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome place to visit!  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Yet it's losing the Mexican invasion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems like yer due for another one
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for the new desk top background & thank you OP for posting this. I am ashamed as a proud Texan who has seen almost all of the state that I've never visited the monument. I know where I'll be making a road trip to this summer
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

My family became Mexican citizens when they showed up in 1830. We didn't stay that way, but we were.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I went across Lynch's Ferry a few months ago in some pretty heavy weather. Having waves break over the hood of your car and having to balance the ferry while loading was pretty hairy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
So far.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I are both descended from veterans of that battle. They fought on different sides though.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Those of us with long time Arkansas families still talk of it. We sent a few boys down there to catch lead for the cause.

If thick ever got to being thin again, there would be lots of Arkansas boys headed southwest again. As much as we have a love/hate relationship with Texas, the Love is (only just barely) stronger than the hate.

Loves me some Texas, but the Alamo just wouldn't have been the same without an Arkansas Toothpick and the fellow who created them
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I went there last January, saw the uss Texas and the battle site. The museum was great and going to the top of the obelisk was breathtaking.

Good stuff!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Good share
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll drink a shot of Cuervo to that!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#22]

He'll yeah!  Too many people forget Goliad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good shitting.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:20:01 AM EDT
[#24]

I have been! And yes, it is badass!

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:20:18 AM EDT
[#25]
How far is Bray's Bayou and the Astrodome from this site?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Its whiskey and George Strait day already?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Time to dig up ol Sam because they're taking it back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they aren't.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#30]
The odd part is this week is Fiesta in San Antonio.  I want you to think about something; Fiesta is a celebration of throwing the Mexicans out of Texas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Oh, that is a sweet photo. I visited the USS Texas last year in October... it's a neat place to go check out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Those of us with long time Arkansas families still talk of it. We sent a few boys down there to catch lead for the cause.

If thick ever got to being thin again, there would be lots of Arkansas boys headed southwest again. As much as we have a love/hate relationship with Texas, the Love is (only just barely) stronger than the hate.

Loves me some Texas, but the Alamo just wouldn't have been the same without an Arkansas Toothpick and the fellow who created them
View Quote

Thanks, y'all! Arkansas gets a bad rap in most places... it's an amazingly beautiful state. A buddy of mine and I did a road trip up into AR a couple years back.. went to Hot Springs, up to Branson (yeah, I know that's in Missouri) and then to Eureka Springs. Did the hot baths in Hot Springs... I've NEVER felt so clean before! We also stopped by the Crater of Diamonds, but didn't do any digging. Such a beautiful state!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Great grandfather x however many fought there. One of only less than a dozen men to do so and sign the TX decleration of indpendence. My great uncle went in 1936 for the 100th year anniversary. State paid for him to make the trip on the train and it was the first time he left the county he was born in.

View Quote

My father's mother's maiden name is Houston, late of the Sam Houston's
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How far is Bray's Bayou and the Astrodome from this site?
View Quote

25 miles from the dome
30 minute car ride
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He got a land grant at spindletop. You know. The place where the term gusher was coined lol. I would have loved to held onto that. If you look at the surveys east of Houston to the state line they all have his name on them. Rather have that land and the mineral rights. Still have letters he wrote to his brother who stayed in Alabama. He talked of the comanche problems they were experiencing so hold off on bringing the family.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're certainly trying, with a LOT of help from traitors in DC, but it's not taken back yet!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#38]
they were real men with real purpose. I was born in the wrong century.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#39]
" I Applaud Your Courage But Damn Your Manners"

Long Live Texas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only because we haven't seceded from a worthless federal government... yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top