Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2016 3:27:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
She should have spent some of that on a nose job and learned the art of pole dancing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I know a few folks in speech pathology.

Neither have that much debt. I guess they chose wisely.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Debtor's prison for student loan payment violations.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She should have worked harder at reading effectively when she signed the dotted line for accepting a loan that large. Dumb-ass.
View Quote

This.

Don't like student debt? DON'T BORROW THE FUCKING MONEY.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife's masters degree for Speech Pathology is $55k.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At least with speech path, she has a shot at paying it off in 30 years or so.
It's not a totally useless career like so many others.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
That is actually not a bad career and can make pretty good money. She's just not going to live the life of luxury she imagined for herself.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
They'll all be forgiven soon via Executive action anyway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Speech pathology isn't a terrible job, google says it $ 75,000ish, but a quarter million dollar student loan debt for a $ 75k/year job? That's $ 25k a year in loan payments? I suppose if you live super frugally for ten years, rent, drive old cars etc, it's possible.
View Quote

Meh. Depends. Home Health is where the money is at....if you can stomach old people with dementia and the possibility of bug infested houses.

Being a Nurse will probably pay more with less money towards a degree, and more jobs.

A masters degree to be a Nurse Practitioner is an easy $100k job.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Lower down in the replies, this is the dumb bitch in the video:

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#14]
How did it get that high?  Did she flunk out like 10 semesters?  Drop 50 classes?  How?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]
She is an idiot & the enemy...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#16]
It depends on where you get you degree too. I'm a Physical Therapist, similar education with a little bit higher average salary. I was accepted into several doctoral programs and chose based on cost. I came out of PT school with about $50k in loans which is pretty low for this field. Some of my colleagues went to more expensive private schools and racked up a quarter million in debt.

I was able to pay mine off in 3 years. Some of them will be paying until they retire.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It depends on where you get you degree too. I'm a Physical Therapist, similar education with a little bit higher average salary. I was accepted into several doctoral programs and chose based on cost. I came out of PT school with about $50k in loans which is pretty low for this field. Some of my colleagues went to more expensive private schools and racked up a quarter million in debt.

I was able to pay mine off in 3 years. Some of them will be paying until they retire.

View Quote

Aren't PTs required to have a PhD nowdays?

Every PT at my wife's job has a PhD and are in their mid 20s/early 30s.

The only one that has a Masters in PT is in her 50s and has been a PT for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I assume you can defray a lot of those doctoral degree costs by teaching, research assisting, etc.  I hope!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

And this is why they will vote for Bernie.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/gOAsacU.png?1

View Quote

That knowledge will go in one ear and out the other.  Facts are sexist.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/gOAsacU.png?1

View Quote

What's funny is that my interest rate on my house is like 4.5% and the rate on my student loans is 1.89%.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Meh. Depends. Home Health is where the money is at....if you can stomach old people with dementia and the possibility of bug infested houses.

Being a Nurse will probably pay more with less money towards a degree, and more jobs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speech pathology isn't a terrible job, google says it $ 75,000ish, but a quarter million dollar student loan debt for a $ 75k/year job? That's $ 25k a year in loan payments? I suppose if you live super frugally for ten years, rent, drive old cars etc, it's possible.

Yes. So much this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only one that has a Masters in PT is in her 50s and has been a PT for a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's different outside the real sciences, but my dad (PhD - Chem) always said that if you paid somebody for your PhD then you'd fucked up somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

She is an idiot & the enemy...
View Quote
This^

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#25]
It is, ultimately, her fault.  But, I have a TINY bit of sympathy for these dopey kids.  They are sold a bill of goods with these damn loans.  I witnessed it myself when I was doing college tours with my kids.......they basically say, “Don’t worry about it....you are going to make tons of money."
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to date one, she made over 100K, doing home visits with stroke victims and special needs kids.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know a few folks in speech pathology.

Neither have that much debt. I guess they chose wisely.
View Quote

Or she's full of shit
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is, ultimately, her fault.  But, I have a TINY bit of sympathy for these dopey kids.  They are sold a bill of goods with these damn loans.  I witnessed it myself when I was doing college tours with my kids.......they basically say, “Don’t worry about it....you are going to make tons of money."
View Quote

About 87% of the blame falls squarely on the vote-buying Marxists that got the fucking federal government involved in the higher education business.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#29]
It's refreshing to see all the comments calling her an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, my college fed us that "Oh, everyone gets jobs in their field of study" crap. And I would say 25% of the people I went to school with work and are successful and the rest either are struggling to get by in their field, changed career paths all together, or are bartenders.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife's $55k student loans for her SLP degree is $352 a month consolidated for 25 years. Interest rate is 6.5% I think.

If she didn't consolidate it, it would be over $600 a month for 10 years (I think).

10 years would be nice, but the $600 a month would be a bitch right now.

She's only making ~$43k on part time. Depends. She gets paid hourly. $35 an hour. Each session is 1 hour. If a kid doesn't show up, she doesn't "work", and thus, doesn't get paid $35 for that hour. Hoping she can go full time once she is cleared for the other insurance companies her employer sees. Would DEFINITELY help with the VA Home loan process (Because they don't consider part-time salary, and thus, will only see my salary + both of our debt).

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#32]
"read my lips, you are a friggin moron."

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I used to date one, she made over 100K, doing home visits with stroke victims and special needs kids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife is a Speech Language Pathologist.  Not even close to that expensive for her degree and she makes well over 6 figures a year only working 4 days a week (all in her office, no home health stuff).  If you get special certifications which allow you to bill multiple codes per session the money is quite good.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorta related, sorta not but can someone explain to me what would happen to a person in the Soviet Union that was able to go to school but "flunked out"?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Maybe it's different outside the real sciences, but my dad (PhD - Chem) always said that if you paid somebody for your PhD then you'd fucked up somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more traditional doctorates,  Chem/Physics/Bio/ yes.
The professional,license type doctorates (PT/OT/Pharmacy/optometry/ etc ) you pay
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#36]
This is simple.  A college education is an investment.  Would you pay 500K for a double wide trailer?  No, because that would be a poor investment...I don't care how cute or quaint it is...it will never be worth that much money.  A financial analysis should be run before a student loan is issued based on earning potential and academic history of the student.  Straight "A" student that wants to be a doctor...how much do you need?  "C" student that wants to major in women's studies...we'll give you 1K a year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember a guy from UTI talking to my high school shop class promising us all 100k jobs. Yeah, I didn't fall for that crap.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The professional,license type doctorates (PT/OT/Pharmacy/optometry/ etc ) you pay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the professional ones aren't PhDs.

My dad used to teach pre-pharm stuff and would annoy them by saying he was surprised they needed so much chemistry when all they were going to do was count.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#39]
LMAO her face looks like a foot

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Speech path is a real career,  but damn that's a high price tag.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#42]
$226K during college years seems like a pretty extravagant lifestyle choice. I wonder how many "study abroad" semesters she did.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Cardiovascular Perfusionist.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely a hard science/engineering thing, and not only should you expect tuition to be free, you should be getting a stipend and university housing. Everyone else has to pay.

Kharn

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

My dad used to teach pre-pharm stuff and would annoy them by saying he was surprised they needed so much chemistry when all they were going to do was count.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pharmacists have to be able to pour as well
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#46]
man, those are big caterpillars on her face.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sorta related, sorta not but can someone explain to me what would happen to a person in the Soviet Union that was able to go to school but "flunked out"?
View Quote

Will be assigned to Staff Position at Black Dolphin Prison.

Much opportunity for winter sport in area.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#48]
ZFG!
Plan asshole. You want the college experience" of dorms and parties, you pay for it.
GI bill, scholarships, state schools, night school, employer tuition reimbursements. Free tuition to state schools if you are National gaurd, Lots of minimum debt paths.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Speech path is a real career,  but damn that's a high price tag.
View Quote

Oh, no doubt.

I'm not laughing at her chosen career field, I'm laughing at the fact that she has a quarter million in student debt.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#50]
She pretty much sums up that generation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top