Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 3:04:03 PM EDT
ENGLEWOOD, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey gallery has filed a federal lawsuit over a city code violation it received for displaying artwork of a partially nude woman in its store window.

The Borghi Fine Art Gallery in Englewood sued last week, saying its constitutional rights were violated when it was issued a violation with fines of $1,250 per day and the threat of up to 90 days in jail over artwork showing a woman's bare buttocks.

City officials and code enforcement officer Walter Deptuch, who is also named in the suit, didn't immediately return phone calls and emails seeking comment Tuesday.

http://www.my9nj.com/chasing-news/127326609-story

Oh noes, the horror!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Whew! that black chick is fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Where it is placed now does not seem to be a violate the code, looks like someone is being annoying.

That being said that does not look like art to me, but i dont think photographs are art.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel slightly better about this now, if only in a schadenfreudey kind of way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where it is placed now does not seem to be a violate the code, looks like someone is being annoying.

That being said that does not look like art to me, but i dont think photographs are art.
View Quote

Never go full retard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Aren't there like... real naked people in Times Square all the time?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whew! that black chick is fine.
View Quote

Indeed
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
People need to learn that in New Jersey, you have no constitutional rights because NJ doesn't abide by the Constitution.

FUCK NEW JERSEY.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Never go full retard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never go full retard.

It's a personal taste, photography can be beautiful but i still don't consider it art.   If you do that's fine i'm not going to force you to like what i do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]

I was expecting the Bible Belt for this one
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's a personal taste, photography can be beautiful but i still don't consider it art.   If you do that's fine i'm not going to force you to like what i do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never go full retard.

Fair enough. Debating what is and isn't 'art' is probably the most subjective discussion two people can have.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then you would be wrong.
Photographs are indeed art due to the effort put into a good photo.
An example includes but is not limited to, Ansell Adams.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Never has such a small state thought it was such a big deal.

People from jersey move down here and you'd think they came from the center of the universe.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never go full retard.

I'm with you on this one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never go full retard.

i spent a lot of years as a photographer, and i completely agree.

art is about creation.  photography is about capturing or synthesizing what is already there.  even though some art forms (sculpture, mosaic) bring expression out of existing materials, they are creating.  with certain rare exceptions, photography doesn't.

that's part of what i love about the medium, but it's a craft, not an art.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top