Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
please IM me a source for new BM59 mags that don;t cost a fortune?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah but there is a finite number of them.  I actually am curious if one can be built on a CMP drill rifle.  I'm 99% positive I read a post by Tim Shuffin on his website saying he could.  Better than destroying a good receiver.  I'm going to contact him when I get time to talk about that idea
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wondering if I should order another kit or get the one I have built?  I don't see Garand receivers being panic items...

Yeah but there is a finite number of them.  I actually am curious if one can be built on a CMP drill rifle.  I'm 99% positive I read a post by Tim Shuffin on his website saying he could.  Better than destroying a good receiver.  I'm going to contact him when I get time to talk about that idea

I dunno, man.

Fits the description of our Rack Grade with the additions of: gas cylinder lock screw is welded to lock and gas cylinder, barrel is drilled, plugged and welded at chamber mouth. Barrel is welded to the receiver, firing pin hole is welded closed on bolt face. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. Wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
please IM me a source for new BM59 mags that don;t cost a fortune?  

Thanks!
View Quote

Step #1 - Get one of these:

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I dunno, man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wondering if I should order another kit or get the one I have built?  I don't see Garand receivers being panic items...

I dunno, man.

Fits the description of our Rack Grade with the additions of: gas cylinder lock screw is welded to lock and gas cylinder, barrel is drilled, plugged and welded at chamber mouth. Barrel is welded to the receiver, firing pin hole is welded closed on bolt face. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. Wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety.

Yeah he's aware of that.  I also understand the concerns with welding and heating of the metal on the receiver.  But Tim knows his garands.  If he says it can be done I trust him.  Use an adjustable gas plug and turn the gas so it's easy on the whole rifle.  

They are building BM59s on questionable cast receivers so what's the difference?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Other than the small number of questionable SARCO receivers, where are you seeing cast receivers?  JRA will have theirs out soon, but I doubt they will sell anything questionable.  As far as drill rifles go, you have to be careful selecting one and make sure they didn't do too much demilling and ruin the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Other than the small number of questionable SARCO receivers, where are you seeing cast receivers?  JRA will have theirs out soon, but I doubt they will sell anything questionable.  As far as drill rifles go, you have to be careful selecting one and make sure they didn't do too much demilling and ruin the receiver.
View Quote

JRA.  I read that they were junk.  Check out Shuff's parkerizinf forum.  Lots of discussion of receiver sources, parts differences, etc.  The barrels Sarco sold have the wrong has port diameter.  It's too big.  I already bought one
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

JRA.  I read that they were junk.  Check out Shuff's parkerizinf forum.  Lots of discussion of receiver sources, parts differences, etc.  The barrels Sarco sold have the wrong has port diameter.  It's too big.  I already bought one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From who?  They haven't come out yet, so it is impossible to know.  JRA sells good stuff and I would be surprised if they put their name on junk.  I've been on Shuff's site, but I'm pretty sure that the comment made by a poster there claiming he got a "JRA" receiver from Sarco were proven to be false.  As far as the gas port size, not a problem.  All you need to do is use an adjustable gas plug.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got a call from James River Armory - My Pre-Order  JRA BM59 receiver is in route to my FFL.  They were a little later than predicted getting these out the door which is fine, I expected it to take a while and will be grateful if its a good receiver.

I'm looking forward to reviewing it.  

I also have a Sarco barrel - not worried about gas port size.  As mentioned above, its nothing that can't be addressed, We will see how she goes together.

I got a Para stock and fixed - like a woman that can't decide which shoes to put on - can't figure out which stock to fit and try first
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up my JRA BM59 reciever. I apologize since I wasn't able to get to my FFL due to work schedule conflicts but got it today!

I have pictures to show, but photobucket has been down all day for me Anyone else having trouble with photobucket down - the online check says its up, but many are having issues???

Anyway will post pics as soon as possible.

Review= So far looks great!

The receiver so far looks great and is finished well. machining looks nice and clean, parkerizing done well.  No signs of casting flaws, etc  at all.   I am impressed on looks.  The markings are a little faint, but fine.
The Sarco barrel times well by hand - looks about 20 more degrees to get the port to 6 O'clock.  
The barrel threads right in nice and smooth by hand
The new in wrap bolt fits nicely and moves butter smooth in its track.

There are some build instructions and includes a pin to install for ATF compliance.(see pic of instructions when pics are up)  
I WiIl have to look at it all closer when I get time to build.

Will post if I get into any snags.

" />
" />
" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#10]
So, if I read this right, JRA has started sending out their new, cast receivers?

I need to give them a call!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, if I read this right, JRA has started sending out their new, cast receivers?

I need to give them a call!
View Quote

Yes - they are in production and shipping..  I pre-ordered before they were actuallyin production (late June).  They ran a special for pre-orders ($399) and made it clear late August 2016 for estimated delivery and they kept me up to date on production delays.   It just arrived this week.  I didn't mind the wait.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I did the same thing, but haven't heard anything from them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had to change my payment method a week ago.  The lady taking my call said that My order wouldn't ship until after November 1 due to back orders.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had to change my payment method a week ago.  The lady taking my call said that My order wouldn't ship until after November 1 due to back orders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She said mine would be "real soon"!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
OK Its done.

Didn't take much time at all - only had a chance to launch some ZQI Walmart 308. before too dark.  Functioned well doesn't seem over gassed.
I installed the Standard Parts short gas lock. The Std parts gas lock gives a nice short clean look.  Easily fitted.
No problems whatsoever with the build.  The only complaint I have is the engraving on the receiver heel is very faint, but not really an issue.  I think this was their first batch.

I am extremely satisfied with my JRA receiver!!  Great Parts from Sarco, Standard Parts  and Centerfire.

Sarco barrel installed well.  Every part slipped in just the way it should.  Just like a Garad.

Mags fit into position a little tight, but lock solid and pull out easily.

This is the kit and stock from earlier posts in this thread- It came from Centerfire.  All parts were like new in the kit, the stock was well used and I showed that I refinished earlier  I think it came out nice - I can't seem to take nice photos like some of the folks on here can.  I need lessons!

Good luck on your builds guys.

" />
" />
" />" />
Std Parts Gas Lock
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a great job on the build. Did the Sarco barrel require chamber reaming? Didn't know if they came short chambered.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like a great job on the build. Did the Sarco barrel require chamber reaming? Didn't know if they came short chambered.
View Quote

No - It assembled fine as is it came - timed and headspaced without reaming.  My friend has the tools to do such if needed and we were prepared, but it didn't require it.
I was happily surprised how easily it all went together - I was expecting much more work and fitting.
I believe the new Sarco barrels must be purpose built for these kits/guns.  I'd like to know who made them Green Mountain or??

Easy to find and priced M1 and m14 parts kits have been so few and far between the last (gasp) 20 years, I haven't really built any up since the late 90s! getting (old)  It all came back to me though.

I am thrilled to have one of these BM59's (even a clone) after wanting one for so long - I almost bought one of Reese's back in the 80s, but held off - so this is one more grail gun off the list.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No - It assembled fine as is it came - timed and headspaced without reaming.  My friend has the tools to do such if needed and we were prepared, but it didn't require it.
I was happily surprised how easily it all went together - I was expecting much more work and fitting.
I believe the new Sarco barrels must be purpose built for these kits/guns.  I'd like to know who made them Green Mountain or??

Easy to find and priced M1 and m14 parts kits have been so few and far between the last (gasp) 20 years, I haven't really built any up since the late 90s! getting (old)  It all came back to me though.

I am thrilled to have one of these BM59's (even a clone) after wanting one for so long - I almost bought one of Reese's back in the 80s, but held off - so this is one more grail gun off the list.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citadel was the thought on Shuff's forum for barrel maker.  So did you end up using an adjustable gas plug?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Citadel was the thought on Shuff's forum for barrel maker.  So did you end up using an adjustable gas plug?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I did not use an adjustable gas plug - It doesn't seem over gassed with ZQI and I am thinking it may be because I elected to use the STANDARD PARTS "Plain" short gas lock that leaves the muzzle open - That is the muzzle break /Grenade launcher off - perhaps having it off and open like that reduces back pressure?  it might be over gassed if that was on.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#21]
No pics in the folder? Seriously?

That's trolling stuff right there..
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No pics in the folder? Seriously?

That's trolling stuff right there..
View Quote

Promise to get some ASAP.  I have to actually do some fitting on that stock as the trigger group is hard to fit in that one.

If your near Douglasville GA I will let you shoot it when I'm in town.  Split time NY and GA for work.  I hope to be permanently in GA soon enough!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#23]
OK Here she is with the Folder.

" />
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/bm59-world.aspx

I think APEX is getting kits as well.

http://youtu.be/2tRScj-cEJs

Interesting cross design
View Quote

Is that guy retarded?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is that guy retarded?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/bm59-world.aspx

I think APEX is getting kits as well.

http://youtu.be/2tRScj-cEJs

Interesting cross design

Is that guy retarded?

He's got a great collection but he does say "Bread-er  or Bar-et-er 59"

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Beautiful rifles-but we need one of our friendly SOT members to build one in FA and bring it to a shoot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Since we're discussing panic buys in other threads, should I panic buy a Garand receiver to make sure I can get this built?

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Since we're discussing panic buys in other threads, should I panic buy a Garand receiver to make sure I can get this built?

View Quote

If you have a receiver on order with a vendor you should be able to still get it if not get a plan to get one or get a garand receiver and have Tim Shuffen machine it.

I doubt any laws could go into effect before inauguration in Jan.and hopefully congress will keep things at bay like they have under Obummer.

Garand receivers likely aren't affected by bans so in theory one could still find those after a hypothetical ban. Of course the momentum is prices increase.

I suspect purpose built BM59 receivers will go up in demand if H wins as will everything.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you have a receiver on order with a vendor you should be able to still get it if not get a plan to get one or get a garand receiver and have Tim Shuffen machine it.

I doubt any laws could go into effect before inauguration in Jan.and hopefully congress will keep things at bay like they have under Obummer.

Garand receivers likely aren't affected by bans so in theory one could still find those after a hypothetical ban. Of course the momentum is prices increase.

I suspect purpose built BM59 receivers will go up in demand if H wins as will everything.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, we passed the panic window, so I guess it's a moot point.  I wonder if the Riverbank Armory Beretta receivers are rewelds or somehow defective?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone have a source for gas cylinders?.

I am looking to pick one up.  I live in NY and am wanting to make mine "legal".  I can either buy another one and grind off the bayo lug and replace the one I have.  Or I would have to grind it off the cylinder I have.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:57:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Bump to bring the BM59 to the new ArfCom.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Jesus Christ. I have the kit but have not been able to find a reasonable receiver. I really hate the idea of chopping up a Service Grade. Half tempted to see what I could get in a FG. Kind of pointless buying a receiver alone for $400 when for $200 more I can get the whole damn rifle!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK Here she is with the Folder.

[url]" />
View Quote

I really want one of those Para tricomps.  Perfect for CA.  Just twist off when in CA, twist on when out of the State.  Did you have any problems with it fitting?  The real para barrels extend no further then the end of the para gas cylinder lock.  I was never sure if this was done for a functional reason or just as a way to shorten the rifle as much as possible when in jump configuration (stock folded, tricomp removed and replaced with a plastic cap).
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:30:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anyone have a source for gas cylinders?.

I am looking to pick one up.  I live in NY and am wanting to make mine "legal".  I can either buy another one and grind off the bayo lug and replace the one I have.  Or I would have to grind it off the cylinder I have.

Thanks.
View Quote

Cut down the barrel to the short length (I think it's 17.3" or something like that) and use the aftermarket compensator that looks like the one for the BM-59E but is meant for use with the regular BM-59 gas system.  You could also try to get the tri-comp for the older variant that can't be used as a grenade spigot, and remove the flash suppressor portion, leaving only the compensator, or removing the bayonet lug.  Another option is to go with a Garand gas system and the short barrel.  There is also a gas cylinder lock meant to allow the end to be threaded to your desired specs for use with the muzzle device of your choice.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ. I have the kit but have not been able to find a reasonable receiver. I really hate the idea of chopping up a Service Grade. Half tempted to see what I could get in a FG. Kind of pointless buying a receiver alone for $400 when for $200 more I can get the whole damn rifle!
View Quote

I'm having the same problem.  I kinda wish I had jumped on the JRA bandwagon, but I wasn't sure about those.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:20:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

CMP had field grades via mail order for $630 as of last week.  Might check
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:22:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just one prob for me is I've moved and my FFL 03 isn't updated. :sadfacesinceidontknowwhereitisinnewformat:
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Cut down the barrel to the short length (I think it's 17.3" or something like that) and use the aftermarket compensator that looks like the one for the BM-59E but is meant for use with the regular BM-59 gas system.  You could also try to get the tri-comp for the older variant that can't be used as a grenade spigot, and remove the flash suppressor portion, leaving only the compensator, or removing the bayonet lug.  Another option is to go with a Garand gas system and the short barrel.  There is also a gas cylinder lock meant to allow the end to be threaded to your desired specs for use with the muzzle device of your choice.
View Quote

For those in Ban areas or that want a short look - You can get this Gas Lock from Standard Parts and with a hex tool - remove and install the combo device when you move out of the ban area.
Std Parts Gas Lock for BM59

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone else get their JRA receivers?  I emailed early last month and was told that they were in the process of getting the second batch out, but there is little information out there about it.  I may send another email on Monday to check in.  I have to ruin a Garand receiver or two just to build what will be considered a clone either way.  I have no aversion to cast receivers, assuming they are done right and JRA has yet to put their name on a shoddy product, at least that I have seen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone else get their JRA receivers?  I emailed early last month and was told that they were in the process of getting the second batch out, but there is little information out there about it.  I may send another email on Monday to check in.  I have to ruin a Garand receiver or two just to build what will be considered a clone either way.  I have no aversion to cast receivers, assuming they are done right and JRA has yet to put their name on a shoddy product, at least that I have seen.
View Quote

I think I saw something on Shuff's forum about them being really out of spec, but I'll have to look again.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think I saw something on Shuff's forum about them being really out of spec, but I'll have to look again.
View Quote

Mine was perfect - no complaints except faint markings.  Used a Sarco "new" barrel.  Assembly was easy.

My friend ordered a JRA receiver a few weeks after I did and he also is still waiting.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

At one point there was a poster over there complaining about an out of spec JRA receiver they bought from NUMERICH that actually wasn't done by or sold through JRA.  I think some of the fanboys just jumped on it an ran.  I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Comments on the CMP forum are that some of the field grades are grade "C" receivers.

Some quotes from people who received their FG's:

By the sounds of it, a lot of the 'Field Grades' rifles being sent out are 'Rack Grade' or worse.

Grade C receiver slight pitting below wood

Not refinished pitted receiver like some reports.

Pitting above (some) and below (alot) the wood.

Grade C reparked receiver. Pitting above (some) and below (some) the wood

CMP thread started on 11/14/16 concerning field grade Garands:
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Comments on the CMP forum are that some of the field grades are grade "C" receivers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the sounds of it, a lot of the 'Field Grades' rifles being sent out are 'Rack Grade' or worse.

Grade C receiver slight pitting below wood

Not refinished pitted receiver like some reports.

Pitting above (some) and below (alot) the wood.

Grade C reparked receiver. Pitting above (some) and below (some) the wood

Would all of that even matter if you are gonna cut up and repark the receiver anyway?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Not really.  I may go this direction if I don't hear from JRA soon.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd wait it out with JRA.  The receivers they make seem to work and $630 for a Garand Receiver you need to then pay and wait to have machined is also going to take time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a factory Beretta box for the 59/62.....found it at the swap meet....had a folding stock in it when I found it....stock is looooong gone

http://i66.tinypic.com/4sff50.jpg
View Quote

Now we're getting somewhere....

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:18:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd wait it out with JRA.  The receivers they make seem to work and $630 for a Garand Receiver you need to then pay and wait to have machined is also going to take time.
View Quote

Yeah it's a trade off.  You basically end up with a garand receiver and an M1 Garand Parts kit in the end.  So there's some value there.  But after machining costs the JRA is cheaper.

I looked over a few drill rifles and decided I was too chicken to try one.  I don't know enough about what to look for with the welds to make a decision on if one was usable or not.  

I've got my kit and stripped CMP Garand Reciever from Gunbroker.  That's gonna go to Shuffs
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#49]
When I went on JRA's site recently, I didn't see receivers available.  Where are they available for sale?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Wow some nice rifles.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top