Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2016 12:41:32 PM EDT
I want to be a grandpa someday.  I know it's a stupid thing to worry about while my kids are young, but I observe people whose grown children can't/won't have kids and it depresses me.  I see the joy that my folks get out of mine and brother's kids and I want that in my life.  I also work around a bunch of younger, single people who seem more interested in staying out and drinking all night than they do starting families.

I look forward to the day that my kids are grown and I have more freedom, but then the desire to hold a tiny grandbaby and be around little kids again creeps up and I realize that that's what I hope happens.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 older boys, 26 and 21, younger one is in the Army

None of them are gay

I give two shits if they have kids or not

Just glad they are a positive for society and conservatism

Life is too short to worry about shit, wife and I are living life
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure I want to change anymore diapers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll have grandma do that
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
My mom was pretty pissed about not having grandkids.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
They can take a CPR class and probably find some part time work in a daycare.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Being a grandparent is way more fun than being a parent.  

That said, I fear for the future of my Grandkids.  I will teach them what I can.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 sons, the youngest is 25 none of them want to have kids the way the world is now.

I'm ok with that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Really?  That makes you feel bad?  At least you're able to have kids. Not having the ability to have children has been the most trying ordeal of thirteen years of marriage, has nearly ruined it a couple of times.  Realizing that I will never be able to raise my own child has been extremely difficult. Enjoy the children you have, right now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a primal need.  Grandkids give reassurance that your line will survive.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a thread on here about my only son being diagnosed with a rare genetic disease. My wife and I planned on having multiple kids but with the disease we have pretty much decided we will not have another one. There is a 25% chance our child will have the disease. It doesn't sound like bad odds but when you look at all we have to go through, I never want to take the chance of having to do this again.

As for grandkids, it will be a miracle if my son lives to adulthood. I have no idea if he will be able to reproduce. And his kids would have 100% chance of at least being a carrier of the bad gene that he has.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Really?  That makes you feel bad?  At least you're able to have kids. Not having the ability to have children has been the most trying ordeal of thirteen years of marriage, has nearly ruined it a couple of times.  Realizing that I will never be able to raise my own child has been extremely difficult. Enjoy the children you have, right now.
View Quote

I don't mean to offend.

I had a 44-year-old buddy die recently.  No kids.  It has been excruciating watching his parents suffer.

Don't mean to cast a pall over the discussion, but that's one situation that yes, makes me feel bad.

I'm sorry for what you have had to go through.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

None of them are gay

View Quote

Odd you say that. I'm 29 with no kids and everytime that's come up with 55+ co-workers or acquaintances, I'm asked if I'm gay

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I aren't having kids and I could care less if that makes either my mom or her mom sad.  Some people feel the need to continue on a legacy, but that's not me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I have two healthy grandkids, a girl and a boy both under ten. I love the heck out of them, and we are planning a family trip to Disneyworld later this year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I never had kids but my sibling did.
My mom can go on and on about how fabulous he is, but in the end he is no different than any other kid his age, and she knows if she is chosen to keep him, she is on her own.  I've never changed a diaper and don't intend to learn how now.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah it made me sorta sad for my parents, well least my mom since I never had any but that's water under the bridge already out in the ocean
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
My son has CF (cystic fibrosis) and will never be able to have children.
That and the fact that he'll probably die before he's 30 sucks.
He's 24 now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I have three grandkids.
They are indeed wonderful to have around.
It is also good to hand them back and say I have had enough for now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That said, I fear for the future of my Grandkids.  I will teach them what I can.
View Quote

I used to baby sit my granddaughter a couple times a week before she turned one. At noon my daughter's cousin would take over. I would tell her "No poopy diapers til Nikki gets here."

Sometimes she'd listen, sometimes not.

They moved ~1500 miles away. Have a grandson now and while I'm not able to teach and corrupt the grandkids I'm comforted knowing they have great parents who will teach them strong conservative values.

But I do worry what America will look like when they are adults having kids.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I kind of inherited a grand kid through my second wife here in the last six months. The kids mom is a major loser and now lives with us before she tries to get in the Navy , so we have a 5 year old.

Some days it can be ok and other days its just exhausting. Back when the kid could go back to her moms house it was ok , because you knew it was just for a few days. Now its been six months and like i said its exhausting.

I would rather have been in my 50's before we had a grand kid though
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

None of them are gay

View Quote

Pretty much my feelings as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worth considering.  My parents wanted grandkids bad and now they are on the hook for diaper duty every time me and my wife want to go out or take an adult vacation  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
So why not adopt? Tens of thousands of kids out there wanting loving, caring parents to give them a good home.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#27]
They won't be told this, but if they don't have grandkids (assuming they're of age) and another sibling does then the one without kids doesn't get left anything.

If I'm passing stuff down (which basically means money I didn't get to spend on scotch or ammo) then they better have somebody to pass it on to as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Shut up OP, I don't want kids.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if the wife and I had kids.

Then I get in my spotless black on black Mercedes, and that thought disappears.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Confirmed?

I ask only because we, depending on the doctor, were walking down the path of an "unexplained infertility" diagnosis. We went to a NAPRO doc who ran some tests and put my wife on 500 mg of Vitamin B6 a day. Pregnant within a month after years of trying. (The B6 improved her mucus which was rather deficient and only noticed via NFP stuff).

I, and others of our friends with similar issues, feel like docs like to push people down the "dunno, you're just infertile" path pretty quick. I assume because IVF is expensive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me either, but for some reason I keep trying to convince my wife to start on #2.

I figure the more we have, the better chance that they'll be changing mine some day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Our parents where "average" age when my wife and I were born; we where around 15 years older before we had kids.

My dad never met my sons; my MIL dotted on the oldest but missed the last two.

Starting so late ourselves I wonder if we'll ever see our grandchildren.  Shit, sometimes I wonder if I'll live through the youngest getting out of college.

What lesson do I pass on?  "Chose your mate wisely" versus "don't wait too long"?  Are we as a society hung up on perfection and passing up greatness to end up settling with mediocrity?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I want to be a grandpa someday.  I know it's a stupid thing to worry about while my kids are young, but I observe people whose grown children can't/won't have kids and it depresses me.  I see the joy that my folks get out of mine and brother's kids and I want that in my life.  I also work around a bunch of younger, single people who seem more interested in staying out and drinking all night than they do starting families.

I look forward to the day that my kids are grown and I have more freedom, but then the desire to hold a tiny grandbaby and be around little kids again creeps up and I realize that that's what I hope happens.

View Quote
You can blame the baby boomer scumbags and their Frivorce for traumatizing the younger generations. You can blame the feminazi cunts who insist that every divorce must force the divorced male to be an indentured servant for the rest of his miserable life.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't even get a date, how the fuck am I going to have kids?

Being a failure isn't easy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't mean to offend.

I had a 44-year-old buddy die recently.  No kids.  It has been excruciating watching his parents suffer.

Don't mean to cast a pall over the discussion, but that's one situation that yes, makes me feel bad.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mean to offend.

Thank you. And I apologize if I came off as upset or offended, this is one of my hot button topics. I do see where you're coming from, though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Materialism.  It's the destroyer of national identity.  

Why?  Because the children we're not having ourselves are must be imported from elsewhere.  Soon, the nation assumes the identity of the imports.  

Don't laugh at Europe.    
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm waiting until the election to decide (me and the wife are).  If Hilary or Bernie (espec Bernie) get elected, we will forgo children.  

My parents wants grandkids very much.  But they are in the pro-hilary, some what pro-bernie mode where they are blaming Republicans and Bush for everything.  When we saw Bernie on the TV and they said they agreed with stuff, I finally snapped and said "This man right here is why you don't have grandkids" and I explained mine and the wife's stance.  

The look of disappointment knowing that was almost heartbreaking.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Enjoy the children you have, right now.
View Quote

Marry young and start having them immediately after marriage.

Choose to raise children in lieu of being DINKs with a 4 bedroom house that's afforded by childlessness and inviting of foreign invaders.

Materialism kills nations.    
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#39]
This is unfortunately is the reality for many servicemen today as a result of their service.  They will not be able to father children due to their injuries and not only will it effect them personally, but it will also affect their families.  As in no grandchildren for their parents.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Odd you say that. I'm 29 with no kids and everytime that's come up with 55+ co-workers or acquaintances, I'm asked if I'm gay

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of them are gay

This is GD, so you gotta cover all angles but sad to say that society is like that now
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm waiting until the election to decide (me and the wife are).  If Hilary or Bernie (espec Bernie) get elected, we will forgo children.  

My parents wants grandkids very much.  But they are in the pro-hilary, some what pro-bernie mode where they are blaming Republicans and Bush for everything.  When we saw Bernie on the TV and they said they agreed with stuff, I finally snapped and said "This man right here is why you don't have grandkids" and I explained mine and the wife's stance.  

The look of disappointment knowing that was almost heartbreaking.
View Quote

Don't you want to take the toddlers to mamaw's-n-papaw's dressed in politically satirical clothing; and whatever else there is to change them into is similarly anti-puke?  

Something like "My papaw is a democrat, but I'm smart" T-shirts?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#42]
My brother has 5 kids and my sister has 3.

What, me worry?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I would love to have grandkids.

Aint looking good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]
My son, 21, got engaged a couple weeks ago.  They say they don't want kids.  They're gonna have boats instead.

My wife says she's OK with this, but I don't think anyone believes her.  I know I don't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My son has CF (cystic fibrosis) and will never be able to have children.
That and the fact that he'll probably die before he's 30 sucks.
He's 24 now.
View Quote

They are making great strides with CF right now. Don't give up. There are new meds out recently that are doing wonders.

My niece is about the same age, and we have great hope.

If your doctor isn't up on the latest stuff, best to do some checking.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stop hanging out in garages.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Choose to raise children in lieu of being DINKs with a 4 bedroom house that's afforded by childlessness and inviting of foreign invaders.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy the children you have, right now.

It's funny, my wife was roommates with two other chicks when we met.  The two other chicks married friends of mine, and we're all still in contact.

My wife and I had kids first.  Now, we're halfway through raising our family while the other two couples are still facing potty training.

We're happy for them, but oh so glad that we started sooner.  We were pretty immature and wonder if they will do better as parents given their pre-child life experience, but still.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like stop hanging out on tugboats.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My wife and I had kids first.  Now, we're halfway through raising our family while the other two couples are still facing potty training.

We're happy for them, but oh so glad that we started sooner.  We were pretty immature and wonder if they will do better as parents given their pre-child life experience, but still.
View Quote

A buddy of mine has two sons, his youngest has a year or two on my oldest.

We feel we have more patience being older, but we sometimes look at our friends and marvel at the freedom they have.  Yes, they had the years of diapers and potty training too, but they are much ahead of the -- excuse the phrase -- "adulting" curve.  Sometimes I wonder if the "patience" we have now isn't as valuable as the strength and endurance we had when younger.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So why not adopt? Tens of thousands of kids out there wanting loving, caring parents to give them a good home.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That has been thought through, and while still an option, it's probably not going to happen.  I was adopted, and I have the utmost respect for those that adopt, but my experiences have led me to not want to.  It's a very long story that I would rather not share here. We've put so much into trying to have one of our own, emotionally and financially, that I'm not sure we could afford to go through with it for a few more years, at least financially.   We have friends that are going through the adoption process, twice now they have been told that they were selected for a child only to have the parent change their mind after the kid was born.  I'm not sure we could survive the emotional toll that would take.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top