Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/20/2016 12:02:30 AM EDT
Two Gainesville men were arrested Saturday for their alleged involvement in the rape of a female who had come to their apartment to have sex with one of the men after a night of drinking together at a midtown bar.

According to the report, the victim met a man who introduced himself to her as Joseph — later identified by police as Jonathan Richard Tait, 29, of 207 NW 17th St. — while at the Rowdy Reptile Bar on Friday evening.

Police say the pair left together around 10:30 p.m. and went to Tait's apartment at College Park Apartments to engage in consensual sex after purchasing condoms at a nearby store.

The victim told police that at some point while they were having intercourse, Tait left the room while she remained lying on her stomach on the bed. Meanwhile, a man she assumed was Tait, and who was later identified by police as Garrett Robert Statler, 23, also of 207 NW 17th St., entered the room and allegedly penetrated her, the report said.

The victim claimed that after they were finished, she turned around and realized she didn't know the man, so she began chasing Statler around the apartment until she was able to leap atop him, attacking him.

Tait then entered the room, according to the victim, and asked what was going on before tossing the victim her belongings. When she told Tait she was going to call the police, however, he allegedly grabbed her arm, snatched her phone and threw it, according to the report.

The victim told police she was able to crawl to her phone, at which point Tait pushed her out of the apartment.

Police located both men at their apartment and the victim later identified both men in a photo lineup. Police also said they identified witnesses who placed Tait and the victim at the convenience store, where they purchased condoms, as well as a neighbor who recalled hearing stomping, yelling and the victim screaming that she had been raped.

Furthermore, police claim that Statler had several scratches on his face that appeared to have come from being attacked.

Both men were arrested and taken to the Alachua County jail.

Statler was charged with sexual battery and remains in jail in lieu of a $250,000, while Tait was charged with obstructing justice and remains in jail in lieu of a $100,000 bond.

Linky
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
She chose poorly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Dear Penthouse.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Should have bought her more drinks.

Kidding
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Fucking  Florida Man and his Florida friend .
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to sound like a social justice warrior here, but exactly how drunk do you need to be, before we can reasonably assume you're not capable of really consenting? And more importantly...how do you know, really?

There's definitely some grey area between a healthy buzz (followed by the usual morning regret) and straight up blackout "I don't remember shit" drunk.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to make too light of the situation but kind of a stupid thing to do in your own apartment.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#7]
That's fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a regular Tuesday night in Gainesville
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not to sound like a social justice warrior here, but exactly how drunk do you need to be, before we can reasonably assume you're not capable of really consenting? And more importantly...how do you know, really?

There's definitely some grey area between a healthy buzz (followed by the usual morning regret) and straight up blackout "I don't remember shit" drunk.

View Quote

I got through the 80's without a problem.  What brought all this on?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#10]
"Rowdy Reptile Bar"

We had a contractor on our site that had a sticker with a lizard with the crossed out sign on it.  He said the "pros" at truck stops are called "lot lizards" and the sticker was so they know to leave that truck/driver alone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#11]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Meh, she's screwing random dudes from a bar, I can't bring myself to care.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#14]
It's sort of hard to feel sorry for anyone involved.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Drunken pole maneuver.

I've seen it on paper, never thought it could work in practice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#16]
A true switcharoo requires a window
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a Houdini not a Switcheroo
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Meh, she's screwing random dudes from a bar, I can't bring myself to care.
View Quote

This.  Had they given her a line of coke or flipped her $50 she probably would have done both of them at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:15:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Gators. Typical.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#20]
"We rag-tag girlies back at the hotel......And then we all switch places when I ring the bell" - Beastie Boys. My friends and I use to swap bar flies often in the late 80's and 90's but everyone knew what was up. These two were fucking idiots. Enjoy your rape conviction dumbass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like rape to me
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds like rape to me
View Quote

Nah, she was asking for it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Once again we demonstrate a vast discrepancy between the sexes.

I don't know how many men would complain if one woman left and another came in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it varies from person to person. Some people can drink like a fish and still have a firm grasp on reality. Some people have a Mike's Hard Lemonade and get blown away. The important thing is to know your limit and not be a dumbass. If you drink on a semi-regular basis, you should know what that magical number is... or at least be able to guesstimate. So it's not really an exact variable.

I guess I really can't give a straight answer. I think you can legitimately be unable to consent because you're so impaired. Being blackout drunk is a thing, but usually you'll be able to avoid that (your body will warn you long before you pass out). At the same time, I think you can be pretty fucked up and still consent. The thing with alcohol is, it loosens you up. Makes you more confident and carefree. You're going to consent to A LOT more stuff that you would be comfortable doing sober.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#25]
All kinds of bad decision making there.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:16:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let's say you were expecting this:

But got this:

and AIDS and HEP C and HSV2

Would you be a happy camper?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say you were expecting this:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/7/76/Kate_Beckinsale_02.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150727130937

But got this:

http://images.townnews.com/leecountycourier.net/content/articles/2015/07/22/news/doc55a6acc418189246574305.jpg

and AIDS and HEP C and HSV2

Would you be a happy camper?

Yes, but that's extreme bordering on hyperbole.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:23:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Coolidge Effect says not too many.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Drunken pole maneuver.

I've seen it on paper, never thought it could work in practice.
View Quote

well....in fairness....it didnt in this case
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:25:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I wonder how long they had this brilliant plan. Probably had a sweet hi-5 as they switched.

Didn't end how they thought it would I'm sure. idiots.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sounds like rape to me
View Quote

Yep. Not surprised most here blame the woman instead of the guys. Typical arfcom logic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:42:36 AM EDT
[#32]

"The victim claimed that after they were finished, she turned around and realized she didn't know the man"

Uh, sweetheart... I don't think you really KNEW either of them.

Except in the Biblical sense.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep. Not surprised most here blame the woman instead of the guys. Typical arfcom logic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like rape to me

More like criticize her lack of good judgement.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:47:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like rape to me

So it isn't the men's fault since she had "lack of good judgement"? She deserved what she got? Am I understanding this right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:49:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Very surprised this isnt an FSU story. Any given year, FSU has twice the crimes as UF; despite having a smaller student body. There's a reason that shithole is typically ranked in the Top 25 most dangerous college campuses.

But then again... If it happened at FSU, the cops would have simply thrown the report away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:52:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So it isn't the men's fault since she had "lack of good judgement"? She deserved what she got? Am I understanding this right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like rape to me

It isn't her fault, but she practiced risky behavior and something bad happened....Sympathy is hard to muster in this particular case.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:53:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are we assuming a certain range of physical characteristics?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Very surprised this isnt an FSU story. Any given year, FSU has twice the crime rate of UF; despite having a smaller student body. There's a reason that shithole is typically ranked in the Top 25 most dangerous college campuses.

But then again... If it happened at FSU, the cops would have simply thrown the report away.
View Quote

and yet it is not.  It is your Alma Matter.  The great Gaytors out there raping women.  horrible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think it varies from person to person. Some people can drink like a fish and still have a firm grasp on reality. Some people have a Mike's Hard Lemonade and get blown away. The important thing is to know your limit and not be a dumbass. If you drink on a semi-regular basis, you should know what that magical number is... or at least be able to guesstimate. So it's not really an exact variable.

I guess I really can't give a straight answer. I think you can legitimately be unable to consent because you're so impaired. Being blackout drunk is a thing, but usually you'll be able to avoid that (your body will warn you long before you pass out). At the same time, I think you can be pretty fucked up and still consent. The thing with alcohol is, it loosens you up. Makes you more confident and carefree. You're going to consent to A LOT more stuff that you would be comfortable doing sober.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's the physical blackout, where you basically fall asleep, or the memory blackout when you continue to function, often seemingly normally to others, and yet can't remember anything the next morning.  That's the dangerous one-- the girl verbally consents, then can't remember doing so.  You so screwed..

Therefore don't bring home drunk women.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:57:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like rape to me

No, of course it's their fault. And they should and will be punished. And she didn't deserve it.

Still doesn't mean we can't state the obvious. People often put themselves in situations they shouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

and yet it is not.  It is your Alma Matter.  The great Gaytors out there raping women.  horrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very surprised this isnt an FSU story. Any given year, FSU has twice the crime rate of UF; despite having a smaller student body. There's a reason that shithole is typically ranked in the Top 25 most dangerous college campuses.

Just raping the very few that the Seminoles haven't yet, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:58:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL this
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably fat & ugly.  Love ya brother
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I grew up in a time  where  orgies were a thing   ...........
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't see how those guys thought that was a good idea
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't see how those guys thought that was a good idea
View Quote

You missed the part where they are Gaytors. Know violators.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It isn't her fault, but she practiced risky behavior and something bad happened....Sympathy is hard to muster in this particular case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like rape to me

You know the old saying, lie down with dogs... get fucked doggy style.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"Rowdy Reptile Bar"

We had a contractor on our site that had a sticker with a lizard with the crossed out sign on it.  He said the "pros" at truck stops are called "lot lizards" and the sticker was so they know to leave that truck/driver alone.
View Quote

At one point we had Lot Lizard stickers on our radio car for arrests, and a lizard with a hat and cane for pimps  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top