Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 11:44:24 PM EDT

http://www.newser.com/story/223751/ready-to-leave-the-yakuza-shell-get-you-a-fake-finger.html

You're ready to turn over a new leaf and leave a life of crime behind, but there's one giant obstacle. Or, one pinkie-sized one: You're missing part of a finger. The Guardian spotlights a most unusual prosthetics market that's seemingly been supplied by one woman for two decades: Japanese gangsters looking to leave the yakuza, but marked by self-amputation.

A Vice News article on the topic explains that yubitsume, or finger-shortening, is a centuries-old practice the yakuza adopted as a way for members to atone for breaching the honor code. Those who do will slice off the portion of their left pinkie above the top joint, and it's apparently common practice: A 1993 governmental survey found 45% of modern-day yakuza members have a severed finger joint. Enter Yukako Fukushima.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Rain
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways , Dude. You don't wanna know about it ...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways , Dude. You don't wanna know about it ...
View Quote

The article isn't about acquiring real body parts.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry about your homie, homies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Donny your out of your element....
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what you will, at least it an ethos.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
All these Big Lebowski references in reply to my comment might mean something to me if I had seen the movie.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All these Big Lebowski references in reply to my comment might mean something to me if I had seen the movie.

View Quote

Then go see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top