Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/19/2016 11:24:37 PM EDT
I have family members that are seriously considering moving to Texas.

Their careers are Nurse Practitioner, IT in the medical field  with MBA, Home Health and Hospice Director etc.

They have started their family and are planning more children.

With the above taken into consideration, where would you recommend as the best places to look to settle in Texas?

Schools for the children are important along with crime rates, cost of living, cost of housing/homes, etc. All the usual stuff.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If you posted this in the texas forum there would be a lot of texans reading it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
What part of Texas? Do they have a city nailed down yet?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The north Dallas area is your best bet for schools, jobs and affordability.

Avoid Houston like the plague just because of the schools.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know where they would like to live. But Houston has the largest medical center in the country.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Do they want to live in a giant metropolis like Houston or D/FW? Or a less populous area?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Houston Medical Center
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The most important thing to consider is how they vote, if they're blue voters we're full. If they vote red, Texas is a big diverse place, I'm sure they can find a place to fit them.....unless, they want snowy winters or mountains.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Houston area booming in Medical Clear Lake/Friendswood area for schools
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Houston Medical Center
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What part of Texas? Do they have a city nailed down yet?
View Quote

Nothing nailed down yet... in the early planning stages.  Looking for advice on best places to consider given the parameters listed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The most important thing to consider is how they vote, if they're blue voters we're full. If they vote red, Texas is a big diverse place, I'm sure they can find a place to fit them.....unless, they want snowy winters or mountains.
View Quote

LOL!  Conservatives !  Good fearing, gun toting, church going people.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If they are dems or Libs tel them to fuck off we don't want them. I go out of my way to make them unwelcome when identified

If conservatives, then Plano/Frisco
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Generally...

Austin - think liberal California

Houston - think New York city

Dallas/Fort Worth - what one would expect in "Texas". (overwhelmingly Republican)

I live in Fort Worth, and I keep seeing new construction and much of it is health care related.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I should add..... not really a fan of big cities. A commute of around 1/2 hour would not be bad.

Would prefer a rural type setting.  Open to most anywhere that Texans don't consider a "shit hole".
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you posted this in the texas forum there would be a lot of texans reading it.
View Quote

GD is our hometown forum, but you're free to join relluc in the "butt hurt about Texas crying corner" of the thread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Houston for medical centers, but like said before schools such but surrounding areas have small town vibes, better schools and short commute to work. Also just north of Austin like Round Rock and Georgetown have been growing and aren't liberal like Austin is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

GD is our hometown forum, but you're free to join relluc in the "butt hurt about Texas crying corner" of the thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I call it AR15TX.COM
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Central Texas, many many good hospitals all close together to find jobs.  Cost of living is pretty dirt cheap if you stay out of Austin.  Killeen has Metroplex and Seton and Fort Hood's Darnall within 15 minutes of each other and a ton of great affordable housing outside of the city with easy going and expanding highway.  Temple has Scott and White and Scott and White Childrens, and the Temple VA that is also within 30 minutes of Killeen.  Again, affordable housing outside the city.  If you choose to go where dragons are, Austin has more hospitals than you can shake a stick at and on the opposite direction is Waco with Providence and Hillcrest.  At the moment I35 has shit tastic road due to construction but in a few years it should be up and running.  Central Texas gives you 4 different hospital systems all in about a hours distance of each other.  A small town like Salado, Jarrel, or Lampasas (has Rollins Brook hospital) would not be a bad place to live- gets you out of the ghetto into a semi rural nice school and it is within driving distance of all those cities in about a hour.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a tough call. The best jobs for those skills will be in Houston or Dallas. The traffic in both places is something that has to be experienced to be believed. I can't stomach wasting so much time sitting in traffic. And any housing close the big medical centers will be either very expensive or undesirable for other reasons.

Hell, they just announced that the Austin metro area is now over 2 million people. Don't even ask about the commute times here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I should add..... not really a fan of big cities. A commute of around 1/2 hour would not be bad.

Would prefer a rural type setting.  Open to most anywhere that Texans don't consider a "shit hole".
View Quote

If they're interested in a more rural setting, have them take a look at the options for health care jobs in both Temple and Waco.  Both are going to be easy commutes, lots of opportunities to buy rural property within a 30 minute commute, low cost of living, etc.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Generally...

Dallas/Fort Worth - what one would expect in "Texas". (overwhelmingly Republican)

I live in Fort Worth, and I keep seeing new construction and much of it is health care related.
View Quote

I can vouch for this. If you like suburban living Keller or Mansfield are great and not too bad of a commute if they like more "country" go west into Parker county still commutable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

NO butthurt,just a suggestion for more traffic..

Enjoy being the new Kalifornia
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I know for a fact that the Round Rock area (suburb of Austin) is vastly understaffed for qualified healthcare professionals, **OT, LPN, RN, NP, PA etc....

**Not in any order of precedence.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, there are great hospitals in Austin. Smaller city, but growing. I used to live in Cedar Park, 20 min commute. But bought land a year ago & now have an hour & half commute. (Lampasas, it is awesome!)

The hospitals are Seton & St David's medical systems.

The new Dell Medical Center /Dell UT Medical School will be opening soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

Well at least we're both being sarcastic and having fun here.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
How about Desdemona, TX?  Just a random town I saw on the map.

Turns out it's the birthplace of actor James Brown, most noted for his role in The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If they're interested in a more rural setting, have them take a look at the options for health care jobs in both Temple and Waco.  Both are going to be easy commutes, lots of opportunities to buy rural property within a 30 minute commute, low cost of living, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best suggestion so far. The Scott & White system is big in the region. Rush hour in Waco is like 30 minutes.

As someone born and raised in Waco just be aware; it is a strange place.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Avoid Dallas ISD like the plague.  Dallas is great for the jobs.  Dallas schools only good if you find the right private ones.  All kinds of decent ISD's in the suburbs and outlying areas.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Generally...

View Quote
Dallas proper is very liberal.  Luckily the surrounding areas aren't.  Texas isn't turning blue, but Dallas sure is.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is the best suggestion so far. The Scott & White system is big in the region. Rush hour in Waco is like 30 minutes.

As someone born and raised in Waco just be aware; it is a strange place
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm seeing a joke here but I'm having trouble tying together Texas Roadhouse, Mount Carmel, and Baylor the Baptist rape factory
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'm seeing a joke here but I'm having trouble tying together Texas Roadhouse, Mount Carmel, and Baylor the Baptist rape factory

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Traffic is HORRIBLE here in TX.

Stay away from san antonio.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1, San Antonio sucks. Not even joking. The government is trying to squeeze the citizens into accepting toll roads by not improving highway infrastructure in growing areas. So far no toll roads, and no expanded capacity either.

It's like half the population is unemployed and spends their day just driving around.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Tyler, long list of hospitals, No DFW/Central Texas commute times. Better place to live than you might think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Waco is.. people are ready to throw down and fight over the most minor stupid shit. It's a violent city.

I still love Waco, always will, but there is no denying that something is off there. And it's not just me, other people have noticed.  I even saw a theory in some story about the subject once that it's something about the Bosque river water. Who knows?

And yes, Baylor is still the ruling institution and that's not necessarily good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Houston has the pre-eminent Medical Center in the U.S., if not the world.

That being said, a thirty minute drive to it would put you in areas you'd not like to live.

Deal with the commute, move North of Houston. Great schools in Tomball, Magnolia, Klein, the Woodlands etc.

The Woodlands for High-end suburban yuppie settings with running trails and BMW drivers and nose-in-the-air upscale people, though many there just understand they have to put up with this for quality living and great schools.

Just outside of the Woodlands in Northern Tomball and Magnolia you can find acreage and conservative values and good people.

Great schools too. Just have to understand you may have to drive a little farther to the Kroger/HEB/Walmart etc. and a bit of a ways to the Med Center.

That being said, the Woodlands has a medical corridor now between FM 242 and the Woodlands Parkway that is par-excellent, so, y'all may be able to find what you want on a closer commute.

Good luck. And I will welcome you to the North side and I do relatively low cost transfers and work on ARs..LOL.

Cheers
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

+1, San Antonio sucks. Not even joking. The government is trying to squeeze the citizens into accepting toll roads by not improving highway infrastructure in growing areas. So far no toll roads, and no expanded capacity either.

It's like half the population is unemployed and spends their day just driving around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, whoever designed the road system in San Antonio...well let's just say they didn't have any fucking clue what they were doing an leave it at that.  Now, whoever designed the freeways had to have know exactly what they were doing, which was trying to cause congestion and accidents.  Seriously, the roads in Iraq were way better laid out (and for the most part, better paved).
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I live in Dallas.

I wouldn't move back to Dallas if I could do it again.

(The city of)Dallas is not business owner friendly and a liberal cesspool.

I'd look to more small(er) town like Longview or Tyler if I could do it again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:15:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Central Texas, many many good hospitals all close together to find jobs.  Cost of living is pretty dirt cheap if you stay out of Austin.  Killeen has Metroplex and Seton and Fort Hood's Darnall within 15 minutes of each other and a ton of great affordable housing outside of the city with easy going and expanding highway.  Temple has Scott and White and Scott and White Childrens, and the Temple VA that is also within 30 minutes of Killeen.  Again, affordable housing outside the city.  If you choose to go where dragons are, Austin has more hospitals than you can shake a stick at and on the opposite direction is Waco with Providence and Hillcrest.  At the moment I35 has shit tastic road due to construction but in a few years it should be up and running.  Central Texas gives you 4 different hospital systems all in about a hours distance of each other.  A small town like Salado, Jarrel, or Lampasas (has Rollins Brook hospital) would not be a bad place to live- gets you out of the ghetto into a semi rural nice school and it is within driving distance of all those cities in about a hour.
View Quote

Georgetown is a good home base. Close to Austin and Temple which are both major medical hubs. Sun city is elderly central, so plenty of work for hospice people. It's also a really pretty area.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#41]
NE Tarrant County. Southlake, Colleyville, North Richland Hills, Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Grapevine, or Keller.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The College Station area also.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:26:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where we are hoping to head next.  In Temple right now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#44]
i would strongly consider the hill country.

north DFW is great, but unless you really like lakes, there's not much outdoorsy stuff to do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you will like it. I've been here since '91 and it amazes how fast we've grown.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dallas proper is very liberal.  Luckily the surrounding areas aren't.  Texas isn't turning blue, but Dallas sure is.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Generally...

Damn right. Fuck Dallas.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#47]
UTMB medical facilities going in all south of Houston in the League City/ Webster area or even pearland. There are some decent places to live within 30 minutes of these areas.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:47:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Damn right. Fuck Dallas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Generally...

Damn right. Fuck Dallas.

Well, there is Plano's New York educated, Democrat mayor.  They recently whisked an LGBT equal rights ordinance into effect with ease, but I'm sure that all of this is an anomaly.  If I spent more than five minutes researching the areas surrounding Dallas, I doubt I'd find any other evidence of liberals.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/plano-ignores-cries-of-hometown-liberty-institute-passes-lgbt-equal-rights-ordinance-7146931
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Houston has the pre-eminent Medical Center in the U.S., if not the world.

That being said, a thirty minute drive to it would put you in areas you'd not like to live.

Deal with the commute, move North of Houston. Great schools in Tomball, Magnolia, Klein, the Woodlands etc.

The Woodlands for High-end suburban yuppie settings with running trails and BMW drivers and nose-in-the-air upscale people, though many there just understand they have to put up with this for quality living and great schools.

Just outside of the Woodlands in Northern Tomball and Magnolia you can find acreage and conservative values and good people.

Great schools too. Just have to understand you may have to drive a little farther to the Kroger/HEB/Walmart etc. and a bit of a ways to the Med Center.

That being said, the Woodlands has a medical corridor now between FM 242 and the Woodlands Parkway that is par-excellent, so, y'all may be able to find what you want on a closer commute.

Good luck. And I will welcome you to the North side and I do relatively low cost transfers and work on ARs..LOL.

Cheers
View Quote

Thanks...... just the kind of input I was looking for!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#50]
My sister and family have lived in the McKinney/Fairview area for a long time.

They really like the area and have tried to get us to move there.

She says the public schools are top notch.

Just about the right distance from Dallas, not to close but  not too far.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top