Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 11:21:27 PM EDT
Pulled off the side of the road right near my house to send a coworker a text to let him know we were going to be open today.  The ground was a bit softer than I had anticipated.    

Still made it in on time.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
CSB.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
BTDT.  Got the dunce hat.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Been there before.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CSB.
View Quote

Good reply chica

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Then you put it in 4wd and drove out right?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pulled off the side of the road right near my house to send a coworker a text to let him know we were going to be open today.  The ground was a bit softer than I had anticipated.    

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tat2d/media/20160419_065215_zps4bgcqkut.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Tat2d/20160419_065215_zps4bgcqkut.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tat2d/media/20160419_065256_zpskqw0heon.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Tat2d/20160419_065256_zpskqw0heon.jpg</a>

Still made it in on time.  
View Quote

If you made it on time how stuck could you be? I don't consider my self stuck until I spend a few hours with a shovel and have to call a friend for a jerk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I would have dozed right though that, bro...

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a ford..the vacuum hub seals are probably dry rotted and the front hubs won't engage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kind of, put it in 4wd and buried myself more.  Then went to my house and got a bigger truck and pulled it out.  This happened right down the street and luckily I have many 4x4 diesels.  The excursion has 35" tires and it sank to the axle.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I wish that would happen to me, so I could have a reason to use the crawl control feature on my Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wish that would happen to me, so I could have a reason to use the crawl control feature on my Tacoma.
View Quote

I just watched a video demonstrating it, that is some seriously impressive technology.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you in a part of Texas that has gotten a lot of rain in the last day or so?

If that is the case, you should have expected soft shoulders.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are you in a part of Texas that has gotten a lot of rain in the last day or so?

If that is the case, you should have expected soft shoulders.
View Quote

A bit north of Houston, we got a good bit of rain lately.  This was  a bit more than soft shoulders though, those are 35" tires and it sunk to the axle as soon as I stopped.  I failed to notice that they recently did some trenching there and I pulled into a spot that was filled with dirt that hadn't setup.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My Jeep laughs.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking at that ground in the pics I wouldn't have guessed it would be an issue either.

BTW, good on you for pulling over to send that text.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#16]
That reminds me, I still need to put a locker in the rear of my truck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
You likely had an excuse, he doesn't. Why, you ask. Every dummy in Texas knows it has been raining hard for the past few days, and the ground (especially dirt) gets awfully soft when that happens.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My Jeep laughs.

View Quote

I pulled a jeep out today, the owner thought it could swim since he added a snorkel.  I laughed.

Not really seeing where a jeep would have helped in my situation.  I guess it wouldn't have sunk as deep since it is lighter.  Depending on the setup it may have been able to dig its way out, but this is my work ride when I don't drive one of my E30's or E90 to work, not a hard core off roader.  The rest of my trucks would have been able to dig their way out of their also.  The one I used to pull this out with managed to crawl through it while pulling my excursion through it also.  I am guessing your Jeep wouldn't have been able to do that.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw someone do that once but their truck sank so far it flipped on it's side. You got lucky.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I pulled a jeep out today, the owner thought it could swim since he added a snorkel.  I laughed.

Not really seeing where a jeep would have helped in my situation.  I guess it wouldn't have sunk as deep since it is lighter.  Depending on the setup it may have been able to dig its way out, but this is my work ride when I don't drive one of my E30's or E90 to work, not a hard core off roader.  The rest of my trucks would have been able to dig their way out of their also.  The one I used to pull this out with managed to crawl through it while pulling my excursion through it also.  I am guessing your Jeep wouldn't have been able to do that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My Jeep laughs.

My Yota laughs.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You likely had an excuse, he doesn't. Why, you ask. Every dummy in Texas knows it has been raining hard for the past few days, and the ground (especially dirt) gets awfully soft when that happens.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks a bit more solid than my driveway which is a couple hundred yards long.  Soft yes, pull over and sink to the axles on a excursion on 35" tires is a bit more than soft.  I just happened to pull over where they trenched the ground recently.  The side parked where it wasnt trenched did not sink at all, the side where the trench was dug sunk.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Concur.   Not everyone leaves room in front of them when stopped at a light to pull away from being rear-ended by a texting driver.

Didn't Houston get 20 inches of rain?  I saw video of cars and homes submerged or with water a few feet high.  The property losses may be huge.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#23]
This is what the super soft ground is like on the other side of the truck.  Not as much sinkage and pretty solid looking.  I chose a poor spot to pull over to send a text, it sucks even more that I lined up perfectly where to ground was trenched recently.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Concur.   Not everyone leaves room in front of them when stopped at a light to pull away from being rear-ended by a texting driver.

Didn't Houston get 20 inches of rain?  I saw video of cars and homes submerged or with water a few feet high.  The property losses may be huge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got a lot, I am north of Houston in the country near Conroe and work in Spring, it is flooded on my land and my driveway is a few hundred yards long and it looks like a creek.  My house is high and dry though and the way to my work is mostly trouble free.  I am thankful for that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Jeep laughs.

You're probably right. Since I live in Michigan my jeep is set up for snow and Ice. Mud and water not so much. :)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like you could have backed out
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I drove through some muddy water at a house that was being built once, both front wheels hit the sewer trench, truck sank to the frame. 4WD isn't going to do crap in that situation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My Jeep laughs.

View Quote

From the shop?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

From the shop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Jeep laughs.

From the shop?

low blow
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#30]
That thing is way too long, too heavy, and too low to the ground for off-road use.

Not mentioning that time and Ford quality engineering have degraded the off-road systems to the point that they may or may not work on command... Or at all.

A bunch of expedition companies that converts Ford vans into off-road vehicles using these and pick ups as a platform can fix it, but you won't like what it costs to actually make it off-road capable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top