Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 7:52:03 PM EDT
Picked her up today with a brand new extra barrel still painted in clay. (Not sure why the Swedes painted them in clay).
I'll clean and lube tomorrow. Not sure what the brass disc markings mean for barrel accuracy, maybe someone can help.  Its time for a beer!

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
$700 isn't a steal, but it isn't a bad price. I would have bought it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My thoughts as well. A fine rifle chambered for the finest cartridge. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC the barrel is gauged at #2, a little worn but serviceable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The first time I saw a Ljungman for sale it was $550, about ten years ago.  I didn't realize what I was looking at, and I missed buying it.  The Ljungman became something of a grail gun for me, finally found one by a stroke of luck for $400 or so a few years later.

Be careful what ammo you feed it, you can blow it up with the wrong stuff.  I've found that Prvi 6.5x55 works well in mine.  I have a bunch of old Swedish surplus (Samco stuff), but the cases are somewhat corroded, and not happy chambering in the gun, so I save it for the bolt actions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
You paid about $200. too much for that old thing.  

Seriously.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Do they sell those at IKEA?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah me too, and just sell the extra barrel.

I own a Hakim and it defintely a different rifle to shoot. I need to buy some non corrossive 8mm as cleaning it sucks so it isnt fired much.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, some assembly required though
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah but the assembly is a nightmare
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I own a Hakim and it defintely a different rifle to shoot. I need to buy some non corrossive 8mm as cleaning it sucks so it isnt fired much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I pull the corrosive stuff, drop a couple grains, and reload powder/bullet in new brass.  I hate cleaning that corrosive stuff too.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't tell Fluffy - he will hysterically insist your new gun will explode into a million tiny pieces the 1st time you shoot it.

But those of us who actually own the guns know that isn't true.  Mine hasn't "blowed up" - not even once (not even a little bit!).

As indicated above, be cautious with ammo.  I have not tried Privi (only mil surplus ammo).

The gun should prove very very accurate.  Nice find.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That was a good deal on a nice rifle. The 1, 2, 3 on the disc is simply how much dirt/rust/ was found in the barrel during the repair/ inspection. It's very subjective as it was done by eye.
Many "3" barrels shoot and look like a new one.
Enjoy your fine rifle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Be careful what ammo you feed it, you can blow it up with the wrong stuff. I've found that Prvi 6.5x55 works well in mine. I have a bunch of old Swedish surplus (Samco stuff), but the cases are somewhat corroded, and not happy chambering in the gun, so I save it for the bolt actions.
View Quote

Yikes!!! That's the first I heard of those rifles blowing up!!! What's the story behind it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seriously.

View Quote

I haven't seen one for under $650 in more than 5 years. The ones I see now that are $700 seem to sell instantly. I'd say that's a pretty good price.
Just the magazine is pushing $200 these days. They have been imported in many years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yikes!!! That's the first I heard of those rifles blowing up!!! What's the story behind it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Be careful what ammo you feed it, you can blow it up with the wrong stuff. I've found that Prvi 6.5x55 works well in mine. I have a bunch of old Swedish surplus (Samco stuff), but the cases are somewhat corroded, and not happy chambering in the gun, so I save it for the bolt actions.

Same as the Garand rifle: not all 30-06 factory ammo is safe in a Garand - though usually the Garand's op-rod will bend rather than blowing up.  But know this- there ARE "safe" factory loads that will break a Garand.  

So: Garand= yikes?? No, not at all.  With a Garand or a Ljungman, you just need to be smart about the ammo.  I stick to surplus Swede ammo.  A poster above uses Privi - which seems to work.

On the Gunboards, a guy sells a larger gas tube (Ljungman is direct-impingement like an AR) that allows safer use of more kinds of ammo.

If you reload, follow a published load book, but select a safe load using one of the faster powders on the burn rate chart to reduce port pressure.

Not 100% sure, but I think the surplus 6.5 that tended to hurt Ljungmans was a Danish machine gun loading meant for a heavy machinegun.

I'd also avoid something like the super-expensive 6.5 Superperformance hunting loads (though I wouldn't put those in a Garand either).  Here is some more info to explain it:  
http://m.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Apparently Privi is GTG.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?362299-Shooting-the-AG42b-Ljungman-Rifle-What-Ammo
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
On the Gunboards, a guy sells a larger gas tube (Ljungman is direct-impingement like an AR) that allows safer use of more kinds of ammo.
View Quote

Forgive my ignorance, but what is Gunboards? Do you have a link? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's in the post right above yours.

GunBoards
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I haven't seen one for under $650 in more than 5 years. The ones I see now that are $700 seem to sell instantly. I'd say that's a pretty good price.
Just the magazine is pushing $200 these days. They have been imported in many years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

I picked mine up for 500.  They are still out there.  

Its a neat gun.  But it makes Garand thumb seem like childs play.  

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=440881

ETA:
That is a nice looking gun.  
Some info here. http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Swedish%20Rifles/Ljungman%20AG42/Ljungman%20AG42.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top