Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 7:22:20 PM EDT
Just got in from shooting 22 rf suppressed.  Ammunition was Win M-22.  How loud is the crack of the bullet as it hits the speed of sound to others?  It seems loud to me as my backstop backs up to a lot of trees and vegetation so it gets reflected back right at me, but how loud would it be to someone 50 or 100 yards to the left or right of me, or to someone that same distance located behind the backstop?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Loud enough.  Buy subsonic ammo, problem mostly solved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got in from shooting 22 rf suppressed.  Ammunition was Win M-22.  How loud is the crack of the bullet as it hits the speed of sound to others?  It seems loud to me as my backstop backs up to a lot of trees and vegetation so it gets reflected back right at me, but how loud would it be to someone 50 or 100 yards to the left or right of me, or to someone that same distance located behind the backstop?

no i have a bunch of that...i also have a bunch of Win M-22 that Im trying to get through.  Maybe I should just sell it...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a pistol the ammo and suppressor function w/?  The shorter barrel might drop the velocity enough to get rid of the sonic crack.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you have a pistol the ammo and suppressor function w/?  The shorter barrel might drop the velocity enough to get rid of the sonic crack.
View Quote

not yet...i keep intending to send my mkiii hunter out for threading but havent gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything stays sub sonic in my paclite mark 3 upper
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

At the elevations I typically shoot (approximately 8,000') this is the case with Federal bulk pack and Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack ammo.

A 16" silenced 22 AR upper will result in a crack and a silenced 4.5" pistol will not.  The pistol is insanely quiet and fun.  You can hear the projectile thunk into most things it hits.

ETA: I kind of want a short 22lr upper for my SBR.  That would be the cats pajamas.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Sonic crack depends on a few different things like speed, size, and shape of the bullet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

no i have a bunch of that...i also have a bunch of Win M-22 that Im trying to get through.  Maybe I should just sell it...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 1022 sbr loves that stuff, how much
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Was shooting CCI quiets through a Savage Mk II w/ Element II can along a narrow section of the Allegheney river lasr summer.  Quieter than a pellet gun.  I slipped a supersonic round into the mag while my BIL was shooting. Not only was the sonic boom loud, the echo off the hilly river banks reverberated for a while.  Easily recognizeable as a gunshot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top