Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/19/2016 6:18:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
That would not be good for the state.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sidney has been booming, Cabelas built a second corporate HQ, just moved into it.  Applebyes just opened, 2 more hotels almost completed, Loves will open this summer.  The total collapse of Sidney will be epic as the town has been taxing and spending like crazy, new hospital, new roads and sidewalks all over.  Going to be ugly and effect all communities within 60 miles.  Menards was looking at building in Sidney.

I hope it doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well...bye. ??
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought this happened a year ago.  We just got our first Cabela's a little while ago and there are no Bass Pro Shops nearby.  Cabelas has terrible prices.  Is Bass Pro Shops better at retail sporting goods?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought this happened a year ago.  We just got our first Cabela's a little while ago and there are no Bass Pro Shops nearby.  Cabelas has terrible prices. Is Bass Pro Shops better at retail sporting goods?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
This is all about an "activist investor" (aka corporate raider) looking to make a quick profit.  I'm all for capitalism, but chopping up a company that will make money and jobs tomorrow simply for a quick profit today irks me.  I guess that's what happens when you are publicly traded.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought this happened a year ago.  We just got our first Cabela's a little while ago and there are no Bass Pro Shops nearby.  Cabelas has terrible prices.  Is Bass Pro Shops better at retail sporting goods?
View Quote

"Terrible prices" depends on what you're buying. They consistently have the lowest prices around on quality muskie and pike gear, hands down. Same usually goes for walleye gear as well. Now, if you're trying to buy a 6920 it may be a different story.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
nope

and they are black rifle hostile .

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Cabelas is so much better than Bass Pro in every single category. Pricing included(not that Cabelas is cheap). You can find deals at Cabelas. Bass Pro, not so much unless you need a mesh trucker hat or a 2 for 1 meal at their shitty restaurant.

Cabelas in-house gear is superior to Bass Pro shit and in some cases, better than some of the name brand shit. I will be pissed if Bass Pro buys Cabelas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cabela's, Gander Mountain and Bass Pro shops are all spendy, but they stock a lot of shit and if you need a pound of gunpowder at 9pm on a Sunday night, you can generally find it most of the time.

They'll even throw in a free tube of lube.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
This is way an economy based on making shit is better than an economy based on buying shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope they don't buy everything will go up in price by 3 bucks
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope they can hold off until August.  Supposedly there will be some top end personnel changes...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope no one buys them out.  

Cabela's has great quality stuff and I like it much better than Bass Pro or Gander Mountain.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
nope
and they are black rifle hostile

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope

The one by me has lots of ARs in the store, and the website has 5 pages of accessories.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/AR-15-Parts-Accessories/104190480.uts
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
That followed a disclosure from activist investor Elliott Management that the hedge fund had amassed an 11 percent stake in the company by late last year. Elliott at the time said it would press for changes, including a sale of the entire business, or parts of it, including Cabela's valuable credit card business.
View Quote

The last story I read about this noted that "activist investor" is the new politically correct way to say "corporate raider".

Screw Basspro and fuck the fucking hedge fund raider shitheads.

ETA: Cabela's attitude towards firearms is one of the best from a major retailer.  Keep in mind in 2013 when some east coast trade show said they wouldn't allow ARs, Cabela's - a major sponsor - told them they'd drop their support if the show dropped ARs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck Cabela's, hope they all burn down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
nope

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope

lol no
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this happened a year ago.  We just got our first Cabela's a little while ago and there are no Bass Pro Shops nearby.  Cabelas has terrible prices. Is Bass Pro Shops better at retail sporting goods?

No.

Definitely not IMHO.  

Objectively, I think it's beyond argument that Cabela's sell far better hunting equipment.  Cabela's brand hunting clothing is very good, eclipsed only by some of the super high end boutique manufacturers (i.e. Sitka, First Lite and Kuiu).  Bass Pro Shops hunting gear is basically slightly better than shit from Wal Mart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and no. I live less than an hour away from the headquarters and 15 minutes from another store. The closer store has more of a generic brand...mainly Redhead, Bass Pro, and Browning. The headquarters you can get more name brand. I've been to a few Cabela's and they seem to have a little better selection when it comes to name brands. I also think their house brands seem to have better quality. I compare it as Walmart (Bass Pro) to Target (Cabela's). Not very often do I go to either store. If I do, it's to look at the displays which blows Cabela's displays out of the water.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Bummer, I remember sending for their catalogs, LONG AGO, as in almost 50 years.
I made, believe it or not, $87.00 in 1968 shoveling snow, yard work, etc, and ordered a Mitchell 300 reel, don't remember what rod, a bunch of lures, and a real fancy, aluminum double sided lure case, Mitchell 308 lightweight reel with rod, and accessories, all kinds of neat stuff.
I was 8 years old and really proud of myself.
I learned at an young age that 'All hard work brings a profit.'
It was so exciting filling out that order blank, mailing it (after getting a money order), and then waiting forever for the delivery truck, no I-Net tracking then!

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The one by me has lots of ARs in the store, and the website has 5 pages of accessories.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope

was talking about BassPro

but looks like that has changed as they have a bunch of AR shit on their website now as well

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sorry you were molested by a Cabela's employee.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#24]
What are they going to do about the Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops that are just down the street from each other? We have one that a 5 minute drive away..
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
nope
or at least they used to be
there's lots of AR shit on their website now

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope
or at least they used to be
there's lots of AR shit on their website now

When the hell were they black rifle hostile?

They've been pro-AR since at least the early-mid 90s - the first time I remember going to Sidney.

They've been pro black rifle for decades, have sold them for decades, and have been selling to the tactical and 3 gun markets for over a decade.

Unless they opened a store inside Omaha city limits (last I checked that store was west of Omaha) and had to deal with the bullshit that comes out of that city, I don't even understand how you could possibly believe any of that.

ETA:

Disregard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
but looks like that has changed as they have a bunch of AR shit on their website now as well

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope

Ah, OK. Never been in a Bass Pro. None of them up here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

BassPro will take them from bad to worse than they are now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Were you the one that had the credit card fiasco?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What are they going to do about the Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops that are just down the street from each other? We have one that a 5 minute drive away..
View Quote

Anchorman-style battle to the death.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my first AR at a Cabelas

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
nope

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope

I'm not sure I believe that. Every time I went into Cabelas 15min south of Salt Lake it was wall-to-wall AR stuff, accessories, and 5.56.

whoops, misunderstood. Correct, BPS is not shooter friendly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trolling or just 14er?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
nope

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope

No, they aren't. Both stores carry a line of ARs. I think the smaller one typically has about 10 different models on hand and the headquarters has about 15...but they also have a couple racks full of used models. Both stores also have a full section for AR accessories. Majority of it is tap I with some magpul and other crap thrown in. I will say the prices are inflated.

ETA: I saw after posting you corrected yourself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#35]
According to Cabelas employees I've talked to it's "bullshit rumor" that has been circulating for the last year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#36]
http://www.wsj.com/articles/shareholder-presses-cabelas-to-stop-selling-high-capacity-firearms-1450829105

And Cabelas still sells ARs.

http://joshuamark5.com/2015/01/ar-15-phobia-british-company-doesnt-understand-americans-like-guns/

Reed Exhibitions decided that the 2013 Outdoor show would not permit the presence of AR-15s in their Harrisburg show. Such a firearm, reasoned Reed, would distract from the “theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests.”

Cabela’s pulled out of the Harrisburg show followed by many other companies and groups. The hemorrhage of companies led to the cancellation of the 2013 show. It got worse for Reed.

Reed had long worked with the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) to put on the annual SHOT Show, a huge, annual trade show for firearms and related companies. The NSSF fired Reed and hired another company.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
According to Cabelas employees I've talked to it's "bullshit rumor" that has been circulating for the last year.
View Quote

It has been going around for a while now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#38]
That would be a shame.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Both are little better than clothing stores selling overpriced crap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Got my first AR at a Cabelas

View Quote

Same. I payed waaaaay too much but I didn't know any better. Love the AR i bought though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I think that Cabelas brand stuff, especially the Guide Gear, is much better than Bass Pro. Curious to see what happens to the house brands.

Either way though I avoid Bass Pro unless I'm desperate for something.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Cabelas is way better than Bass Pro for most things. I'm not seeing how buying one of your competitors to make a dominant entity would pass anti-trust muster unless GS greases the regulatory skids, so to speak.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Double no.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I hope no one buys them out.  

Cabela's has great quality stuff and I like it much better than Bass Pro or Gander Mountain.
View Quote
Yup. Prices seem high but lower than bass pro and also bass pro won't ship to philly even though there is now law restricting online ammo sales here. Just Corp bs and if bass pro takes over cabelas, I guess I'm sol for online ammo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never really got the point of Cabela's or Bass Pro, everything they carry can be found cheaper online somewhere.

Then again, I feel this way about most physical stores.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
"Terrible prices" depends on what you're buying. They consistently have the lowest prices around on quality muskie and pike gear, hands down. Same usually goes for walleye gear as well. Now, if you're trying to buy a 6920 it may be a different story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You also have to catch the sales and discounts when they have them, especially on closeout items.  For example Lowrance is closing out their HDS 7 Touch Gen 2 models.  Normally it is a $999 fish finder.  For the last month Cabela's has had it on sale for $749, plus you get a $100 Visa card from Lowrance, and you get $100 Cabela bucks on top of it.  That is $549 for something that cost $999 a few months ago.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cabelas is so much better than Bass Pro in every single category. Pricing included(not that Cabelas is cheap). You can find deals at Cabelas. Bass Pro, not so much unless you need a mesh trucker hat or a 2 for 1 meal at their shitty restaurant.  

Cabelas in-house gear is superior to Bass Pro shit and in some cases, better than some of the name brand shit. I will be pissed if Bass Pro buys Cabelas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Bass Pro sucks big fat hairy balls. I will never step foot in a Bass Pro again, there is absolutely no reason to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#48]
We just got a brand new Cabelas in my area and I have spent quite a bit of money there. I am pretty happy with the selection there.

They have a wider range of stuff that I am interested in than bass pro
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The last story I read about this noted that "activist investor" is the new politically correct way to say "corporate raider".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That followed a disclosure from activist investor Elliott Management that the hedge fund had amassed an 11 percent stake in the company by late last year. Elliott at the time said it would press for changes, including a sale of the entire business, or parts of it, including Cabela's valuable credit card business.

That is exactly what it is.  They want to spin off Cabela's credit card business which is highly profitable.  However, it is only highly profitable because Cabela's exist.  With their credit card you get 1% back on everything, 2% back on Cabela's purchases, and 3-5% on Cabela's brand merchandise.  Eliminate the quality Cablela's merchandise and the points to the store are worthless.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Goldman Sachs?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top