Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 5:12:25 PM EDT
It is the electronic SecuRam and if doesn't recognize the code.  I called Cannon and they talked me through a reset and determined that the electronic opener is defective.  They are sending a new complete part.  I called a lock smith and he immediately talked about $600 bucks for drilling??  He did say that he would first install the new electronic part.
Should I call a different locksmith, or is talkign about a $600 job first common?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck, and thanks for reminding me why I chose to go S&G mechanical!

IB4 "my electronic has been perfect!"
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
My safe had the same issue.  Locksmith brought out a new keypad.  I opened the safe.  Then had the locksmith convert mine to a combo dial setup.  Cost me about $100.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I had that problem once.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is the electronic SecuRam and if doesn't recognize the code.  I called Cannon and they talked me through a reset and determined that the electronic opener is defective.  They are sending a new complete part.  I called a lock smith and he immediately talked about $600 bucks for drilling??  He did say that he would first install the new electronic part.

Should I call a different locksmith, or is talkign about a $600 job first common?
View Quote
Uh, shouldn't Cannon have sent a lock Smith?  They do warranty their safes for life don't they?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Cannon is sending me a new pad, perhaps I'll look at converting?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
So, should a locksmith have a universal pad?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't think you'd be drilling it out just to replace the tumbler mechanism.     Find another locksmith.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It likely just needs new batteries. Cannon will stand behind there products but will not pay for a locksmith to put in new batteries.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
DAY 1
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uh, shouldn't Cannon have sent a lock Smith?  They do warranty their safes for life don't they?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Electronic and EMP locks carry a one year warranty for labor; a lifetime warranty for parts. The warranty does not cover lost or forgotten combinations, improper opening procedure, weak or dead batteries. Paint is warranted for one year based on proper care and environment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
How much faster is the keypad if the safe won't open
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
There are (2) kinds of ELECTRONIC locks...

1) Those that HAVE failed

2) Those that haven't failed YET

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They fail too. Though the ones I've seen fail certainly were manipulated more often than your gun safe. I like the Kaba Mas X series. Electronic with no battery to fail.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How much faster is the keypad if the safe won't open
View Quote

If you own a keypad for the speed in opening your safe you have already screwed up
There should never be a rush to get in your safe
What you may need in an emergency should not be in the safe

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Knew it was an electronic keypad before I even clicked on the thread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Electronic and EMP locks carry a one year warranty for labor; a lifetime warranty for parts. The warranty does not cover lost or forgotten combinations, improper opening procedure, weak or dead batteries. Paint is warranted for one year based on proper care and environment.
Well, that answers that question.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

pretty much everyone is that way

FWIW I have had a mechanical lock fail on my Zanotti , I luckily got it open after about 50 tries with lots wiggling and shaking

they send me a new lock no questions asked though I was impressed ( but they do not use S&G)

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too,  but they can break also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#22]
The new keypad should fix it.

The entry code is actually stored in the lock. The keypads can have parts go bad that result in sending
the wrong voltage levels representing the digits to the lock.

And yes $600 to open the safe seems very high, especially for a typical gun safe.

I just recently installed a Securam Safelogic Xtreme on my safe. It's both an electronic and mechanical
lock in one unit. It's a little pricey but well worth it IMHO.

Got mine at mbausa.com and had to wait for the slow boat from China on the backorder.
Looks like it's still out of stock and they bumped the price on it by almost $100 since I got mine.
May be hard to find one. You could try ordering directly from Securam or from a locksmith.

https://youtu.be/QO7rP5p17_4

Installation is not too bad, but may be too much for some people to DIY.
Here's a very good video that shows the install.

https://youtu.be/IZdCYjeCuwE

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Jeesus you guys are slow...

SAFE THREAD!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Probably just a bad keypad, mine failed twice. I will never buy another electronic lock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The new keypad should fix it.

The entry code is actually stored in the lock. The keypads can have parts go bad that result in sending
the wrong voltage levels representing the digits to the lock.

And yes $600 to open the safe seems very high, especially for a typical gun safe.

I just recently installed a Securam Safelogic Xtreme on my safe. It's both an electronic and mechanical
lock in one unit. It's a little pricey but well worth it IMHO.

Got mine at mbausa.com and had to wait for the slow boat from China on the backorder.
Looks like it's still out of stock and they bumped the price on it by almost $100 since I got mine.
May be hard to find one. You could try ordering directly from Securam or from a locksmith.

https://youtu.be/QO7rP5p17_4

Installation is not too bad, but may be too much for some people to DIY.
Here's a very good video that shows the install.

https://youtu.be/IZdCYjeCuwE

View Quote

Thank you, I'm going to do this.  Cannon did call me back and they scheduled to have a locksmith who has fixed several of their safes come to install the new pad.  I will talk to him about the option you have.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

this.. i dont fucking trust electronics... another reason why id NEVER own a smart gun... if it can break, it will break. at the worst time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was just a thread in the past month or so here that someone couldnt get their mechanical lock open.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Before I clicked on this I correctly assumed it was an electric lock.

Used to sell gun safes, heard enough horror stories about them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm no safe worker but I have seen a mechanical lock fail on a relatively new commercial safe using other than a S&G dial lock.   You could open it with lots of attempts finagling the numbers,  Again I'm no expert but I think one of the settings was loose some how.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Just pry the door open with a knife

I took that junk cannon pos back after seeing how weak it is
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#31]
$600 is high. The locksmith I work for charges $350.00 plus tax.
replace the lock w/s&g man lock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#32]
you couldn't  gave me a free  electronic safe

Quoted:
DAY 1
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no idea why he would charge $600 to drill it unless he thought it was equipped with a re-locker device like most decent safes come with which your Safari DOES not have.
Truth be told a punch attack on that safes lock will cause it to open right up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#34]
This is actually the reason I ended up returning a cannon black friday purchase. A simple search of cannon safe lock on google and you'll get a ton hits. And what's cannon do when the lock fails and you can't open the safe? They send you the part, and you're on your own for the lock smith.

There are a few safe companies that will warranty the lock forever, I think it was fort knox and liberty/champion if you buy their lifetime lock warranty.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1 mine's 18 years old and still running just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Uh, shouldn't Cannon have sent a locksmith?  They do warranty their safes for life don't they?  

+1 mine's 18 years old and still running just fine.

There we go...

The ol' "99.99% of these cars have spontaneously exploded"    "Mine's running just fine"

Forums aren't filled with people who can't get into their safe because their dial lock broke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top